BlueCupTools Podcats! Grundislav & ThreeOhFour! Episode 82!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 09/06/2012 07:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

True. But this is Grundy we're talking about. Word on the street it that Grumpislav doesn't actually play AGS games. He just pretends to because AGS is what all the cool kids are into these days. :cool:

Ibispi

Hi Ben and Grundy, I have been listening to this podcast and I'd like to share my opinion on the controversial topic about how some people claim that Gone Home and similar games are not games, but walking simulators. Also, that thing about Lucas Arts setting rules for adventure games, that the character shouldn't ever die is actually quite alike to that problem that Gone Home and Dear Esther have.
It is because certain games set standards. Adventure games were never popular enough to set standards, instead those were action and arcade games. Games like Super Mario, Doom and others. I don't belong to the generation who played these games, so this was a bit difficult for me to understand, but - it is the successful hits that shape the views of people to what they like and they consider fun.
Today flashy, action games, with a lot of things happening are fun.
Now, with Minecraft being a big hit, and affecting the new generation of gamers, it will set new standards. Sandbox games, or games where creativity and imagination are mechanics of the game will be what is considered fun. (I recommend this video by Extra Credits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8G6BFg1Wk)
But then again there is the obvious thing that there are people who grew up with specific types of games. There are people who didn't play those flashy games, but adventure games instead, so we have this community. So, I think, the reason why those games like Gone Home are put aside as just "walking simulators" is mostly because there is not enough people that have played these kind of games, and people are just not ready to accept new things.
It's all kind of complicated, I could be terribly wrong.

Armageddon

I love Gone Home and I think it's fun. Also it makes me sad when people try to put games/art into boxes. Just let stuff stand on it's own you know?

Also while I really hate The Walking Dead and all the new Telltale games (besides Puzzle Agent) I don't get what you mean by you can make a bad decision and have to go back and change it. Maybe if it's your goal to get a certain outcome, sure. But the joy people seem to find in those games is that they have to live with their choices no matter what, it's a roleplaying experience for them.

I think the problem with death in adventure games is that there's no consequences. The room reloads and you try again. Whereas in an RPG you maybe lose a ton of random loot. Or in an FPS you lose your progress and have to kill a bunch of enemies again even after an almost perfect run where you died at the end. But an adventure game relies on immersion and for the story to feel good and have weight there needs to be consequences for characters. You dying and reloading isn't frustrating, it just breaks the immersion.

Ponch

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Armageddon on Sun 28/06/2015 05:55:10
Also it makes me sad when people try to put games/art into boxes. Just let stuff stand on it's own you know?

The intent is not really compartmentalization, more the grouping of like pieces in order to analyze and compare different approaches to the medium, and also differences within similar takes on an approach.

Grundislav

No new episode this week, but you can listen to me talking about game soundtracks over on the Square Waves FM podcast.

Ponch

1)  Browse forums instead of working (it's the American way)
2)  See a new update from Grumpislav in the CupCast thread
3)  Become uncontrollably excited
4)  Run out of the workplace screaming "I have to go home! My cat is on fire!!"
5)  Drive home at top speed, honking horn, swerving wildly, ignoring all stoplights and yield signs.
6)  Slide into driveway, leave the engine running and the door open, no time to waste!
7)  Enter house through broken window (house keys are still dangling in the ignition of the car)
8)  Sprint through house, knocking over furniture and leaving bits of glass from broken kitchen window in my wake.
9)  Fire up computer. Click this thread to download the new CupCast...
10) Horrible, unspeakable disappointment. :cry:

Grundislav

Are you saying I'm not good enough for you, Ponch? :~(

selmiak

better, it feels like you are talking 90% of this other person's podcast :-D

Ponch

Quote from: Grundislav on Tue 14/07/2015 05:56:52
Are you saying I'm not good enough for you, Ponch? :~(
You've never played a Barn Runner game. I think you know the answer. ;)

Also, podcast soon plz kthxbai. (nod)

Grundislav

Ponch

Quote from: Grundislav on Sat 25/07/2015 15:25:56
Episode 78

You're welcome, Ponch :=
Excellent! Downloading now! I hope Ben talks about his massive firearms collection again! :cheesy:

ThreeOhFour

Maybe I did! Who can tell what I say with that accent? :=

Ponch

Re: Podcast 78 and the scurrilous accusation that cows are not party animals...
Spoiler

[close]

Though, for the record, I was home and ready for bed by 10:53 pm. :embarrassed:

Fitz

Holy heck! It's almost like a two-episode combo!

As luck would have it, I replayed Fate of Atlantis just the other week, as well -- and agree about the Atlantis part. It's downright depressive: the color scheme, the music, navigating back and forth and back again between the samey rooms, all while dodging the nazis... What it was was one long key puzzle, which is my least favorite thing in adventure games (though, strangely enough, getting the stone keys' arrangement right was fun). Granted, in a game about an archeologist there's obviously going to be a lot of exploring to be done in dark depressive places -- but I liked the action and human interactions so much more.
Same reason why City was probably my last encounter with the Arkham franchise. It's just so dreary -- and so brown. And you can never just waltz in through the front door. No, you go round the back and sneak in through the basement window. And just when you think your caution gave you some advantage -- someone pulls a barrel of V out of their ass and kicks your butt. Paraphrasing the famous catchphrase -- "I'M BUTTMAN!" And those underground ruins... and sewers... Ugh... I love Batman -- but I guess I'll stick to the comics.
I guess what ultimately ruined "tomb raiding" for me was Far Cry 3 -- which was an insanely fun game as long as it let me play outdoors. But there's this dude that holds your friend captive and he'll let him go only if you get him this one thing from the ruins... and then this other thing... and another... "Oh, thanks! But I changed my mind and decided to kill you and your friend."
So now I stick to colorful games with lots of human interactions and dialogue -- such as Hotline Miami (laugh)

Stupot

As it happens, I've been thinking about the lead character in my next game. This conversation has inspired me to really think more about his background and motivations. As a result, I've actually managed to solve an issue about the basic storyline that had been bothering me. So by thinking properly about how my character fits into the world and, specially, why he gets to be in the role of protagonist and ultimately a hero, I've managed to make the story better and avoid some terrible clichés. So thanks :-)

Amayirot Akago

So I was bored, had a random idea, and decided to make this little musical tribute to the podcast based on the Steven Universe theme. I am so sorry.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57502026/bluecuptools.mp3
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Tue 28/07/2015 09:46:04
So I was bored, had a random idea, and decided to make this little musical tribute to the podcast based on the Steven Universe theme. I am so sorry.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57502026/bluecuptools.mp3

This should be played at the end of the next podcast  ;-D

Fitz

I second that! If everyone casually did something like this when they're bored, the world would be so much more awesome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk