BlueCupTools Podcats! Grundislav & ThreeOhFour! Episode 82!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 09/06/2012 07:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

We're gonna be mixing it up, alternating between design discussions like those and more general stuff like the last two. Variety is the goal!

Vince Twelve

I wasn't kidding about the FPS!  It will be the best game of 2018.

I don't know why I didn't ummm so much.  Maybe because I was laughing so much.  Out of all the podcasts I've done over the last couple weeks, this one is the only one that makes zero attempt to be professional, which makes it hilarious and easy going.

Anian's right, I could have given some tips!  I AM FASCINATING AND INFORMATIVE! Here's two for you, Anian:

Coding: repeatedly_execute_always is your friend for making crazy stuff.  Don't worry about it slowing down the game.  Resonance has thousands of lines of code jammed in there!

Art: Particle Illusion 3.0 (Available here) Was used to make almost all the special effect graphics in the game.  Fire, smoke, birds flying, sparks, explosions.  It's awesome, and I figured out a pretty good pipeline for using it in conjunction with AGS.

Writing: Do it in the shower!  But not on your computer, that's dangerous.  Use your noodle!  Not that one!

ThreeOhFour

Thanks Vince, always wondered how much could be stuffed into rep_ex_always!

As for using my noodle in the shower, good advice, thank you!

With regards to Particle Illusion, any tutorials you could recommend for our listeners?

(it's like we're podcasting via text and typing!)

DoorKnobHandle

It's not so much about how much you stuff into rep_ex_always, it's more about what. :)

Great podcast, as always!

ThreeOhFour

Usually I go with every character in the game running SayBackground("Wow, Ben304, you're the best!");

Most of the time I comment this out of my games before they're released though (which totally ruins the game, imo, but the testers don't seem to like it :\ )

Vince Twelve

No tutorials that did much for me, but I might make one myself one of these days!

Igor Hardy

I've listened to all 4 - incredibly entertaining! In fact you one can feel you have so much fun doing these (especially those silly bits - Dr Morales's ghost etc.), that it's impossible not to get infected with some of that enthusiasm.

Tramponline

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Thu 28/06/2012 14:50:08
I don't know why I didn't ummm so much.  Maybe because I was laughing so much.  Out of all the podcasts I've done over the last couple weeks, this one is the only one that makes zero attempt to be professional, which makes it hilarious and easy going.

@Vince
Sorry about that. I should've added waaaay more smileys to my last post. (unlike Tabata, I really don't like smileys! :P <- :shocked:)
I hope, I didn't come across the wrong way or tick you off or something along those lines!

When I posted after listening to the podcast, it was very much 'infected by that enthusiasm' (Ascovel put it very nicely) of you guys
having fun and in the overall spirit of the interview.
It was intended as -12% criticism and as 150% pure nonsense (...of the Dualnames variety!) and didn't deserve any explanation about your
'umms' or not 'umms' in interviews :smiley:, much less a reasoned one (personally, I'd be a nervous wreck not being able to say anything at all!).

All I really wanted to say was, great podcast of everyone involved and you can't help but smile all the way through while listening to it...

Anian

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Thu 28/06/2012 14:50:08
Anian's right, I could have given some tips!  I AM FASCINATING AND INFORMATIVE! Here's two for you, Anian:
Too little too late, if it's not in the podcast, I ain't acknowledging it.  :tongue:  :grin:
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Vince Twelve

Quote from: Tramponline on Fri 29/06/2012 07:40:05
Sorry about that. I should've added waaaay more smileys to my last post. (unlike Tabata, I really don't like smileys! :P <- :shocked:)
I hope, I didn't come across the wrong way or tick you off or something along those lines!

Oh, god no.  I've joked about how often I ummm and uhhh in interviews many times.  Maybe it is I who needs more smileys. :)

EchosofNezhyt

@Vince

I found a few threads you did about user interfaces and such. You should really write up some more stuff about AGS/adventure games, I really enjoyed the stuff you wrote and considering your current/past games you obviously know what your doing.

Armageddon

The music thing is a very good thing to do. I just listen to the Neotokyo soundtrack over and over for my sci-fi writing. :)

Anian

The thing with shower/bathroom/walking is that it has the same as effect as when you can't think of a name or movie title or something, but it's at the tip of your tongue and then as soon as you start to do something else it just kind of makes your brain "relax" and cleans everything you were thinking at that moment, changes your thoughts, but brain being versatile as it is, manages to remember.
While on the subject, there's a really cool speech about creativity from John Cleese https://vimeo.com/18913413 it offers some hints at the stuff you mentioned as well and tips on how to be creative in a practical way, achieving what he refers to an "open mode" and then getting back into "closed mode" to be productive. Not only informative but funny too.

I don't want the world, I just want your half

EchosofNezhyt

Will listen to is soon. @Anian Thanks.

Edit: I like thinking about ideas right before I go to sleep but sometimes I get to tried and fall asleep haha.
I haven't tried the music thing but I do it while I'm drawing.

Igor Hardy

I don't remember the shower ever working for me (in terms of ideas). And music gets me too high.

I usually get the best concepts while jogging.

Thanks for the Cleese link, anian!

Ponch

A new episode? Hooray! Something to listen to while doing the holiday-mandated grilling of the meat.  ;)

I hope there will be more Spaceman (In Space)

ThreeOhFour

Interesting to see people's thoughts on the topic - and thanks for that link, anian :)

As for more of our thrilling episodic audio drama?

Of course there is  :cool:

Ponch

To contribute further (and better-er, now that I have listened to the podcast), my ideas come to me out of the blue. That's why I keep a notepad by the bed and carry a small, spiral memo pad in my pocket throughout the day. You never know when inspiration might strike and I'll need to jot down a joke, a plot twist, or just sketch a pair of boobies. (Spoiler: One of those three things happens a LOT).

Also, hooray for another episode of Space Man (In Space). I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an official AGS game tie-in. Or at least a novelization. If one doesn't appear soon, there may be a fan game. Just sayin'  :cool:

Mati256

This episode of Space man in space made me think about The Star Diaries of Stanislaw Lem, the seventh voyage where there are time vortices.
I was hoping space man would find a future self in the space ship.  (laugh)
Great episode, keep them coming!
My Blog! (En Español)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk