BlueCupTools Podcats! Grundislav & ThreeOhFour! Episode 82!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 09/06/2012 07:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

It's astounding that you've managed to basically record the show -- AND actually remained coherent throughout. One of my favorite episodes, for sure, very interesting.

Armageddon

I seem to remember someone promising a discussion about starting/designing/workflowing of adventure games...

Fitz

They sort of did. There mentioned a handful of things you should consider when designing a game -- including alternative mechanics for obtaining information, other than talking to everyone. You also shouldn't start a game with the word "physicist" ;)

It's also not very far-fetched to assume alcohol is a vital part of the creative process.

ThreeOhFour

Grundislav

Yeah, remember we record these a week before release, so there's a bit of a gap.

Also, we didn't play the drinking game ourselves, those pictures were taken by Anatoly. (boing)

Andail

Yay!
Now I can listen to the voices of AGSers even though I couldn't make it to AdventureX :)

ThreeOhFour

Ponch

Hooray! Episodes 27 AND 28! It's gonna be a good night! :cheesy:

Andail

I think this was your best podcast so far.
And I endorse writing in proper notebooks, old-style. Beats computer documents!

Armageddon

Good podcast. I feel there's more to say about the subject though. :)

ThreeOhFour

Yes. I guess we'll keep doing more podcasts, in that case.

(hint: if you want us to discuss something specific about a subject, be specific in your request.)

selmiak

Some discussion ideas:
why is monkey island such a great game and would it be as great without the insult swordfighting?
is 320x200 a small enought resolution for todays retro games or can it be halfed?
what is character development in adventure games and how to accomplish it as a characteristic developer developing character development 8-0

Daniel Thomas

Good stuff as always.
But why can't I use Photoshop for animations?! :~(
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

ThreeOhFour

Photoshop is fine for real world high res animations, obviously. I was referring to pixelart, for which there are far better tools, sorry for not clarifying! :cheesy:

(most of the things I say are picking on Grundislav :D)

Vince Twelve

Loved the game making process discussion in this episode!  I had been getting a bit tired of the long-winded conversations about which AAA games you're playing.  I mostly listen to the podcast while driving and it kept putting me to sleep.  I'll send you the bill.

But yeah, the game making talk was super interesting hearing you guys break down the inspirations and completely different processes you follow.  More of that, please!

Actually, I'd really love to listen to other AGSers run down their own processes for making their games.

Throwing out ideas for future shows:

-Working with teams
-Writing interesting characters
-Non-standard adventures
-Dialog writing in general
-Interface design!

Stupot

The insights into your game making methods are really interesting.  Well I'm interested in anyone's methods.
But if anything 'what's your game making process?' is a really broad question.  If you broke it down and had a different focus each week, such as Vince's ideas, that's hours of discussion fodder  right there.

@Vince, if you're interested in more people's processes, have you checked out this recent thread? http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49582.0

Armageddon

I'd like to hear about your dialogue writing process too. Maybe how you can make each character sound different even though you're the one writing everything. Maybe a guest that writes scripts before hand would be better since you both sort of touched upon it this last episode. (One of the Owl Cave guys maybe.)

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 09/12/2013 01:10:57
The insights into your game making methods are really interesting.  Well I'm interested in anyone's methods.
But if anything 'what's your game making process?' is a really broad question.  If you broke it down and had a different focus each week, such as Vince's ideas, that's hours of discussion fodder  right there.

Aye, but we've covered a ton of stuff and it's been nearly 30 podcasts. Hard to remember exactly what we've spoken about and what not, so hard to know exactly what you want to hear about. We're happy to break things down and talk about specific things; but if there's something specific you're interested in, let us know what you'd like to see it broken down into.

That being said, lots of good topics we can cover. Bravo!

Stupot

Yeah, true, it's not as though you haven't talked about aspects of your game design processes before.  I say just keep doing what you've been doing but with the occasional listeners' questions (and guests). Coz, judging by the response for that episode we definitely want more game-making talk :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk