BlueCupTools Podcats! Grundislav & ThreeOhFour! Episode 82!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 09/06/2012 07:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

With Blackwell, that's very rarely an issue. Dave usually leaves the specific layout of a scene to me; and he very rarely will give any direction about light, unless a specific element needs a dark corner because of a design. Therefore, Dave will show me where the exits need to be, where the objects need to go, and the rest is completely up to me.

Because Photoshopt is magical, I usually lay out the basic foundations of a scene because I start painting any light or shadow in at all. So, for an interior, I'll put up the walls, doors floors and ceilings, all in the sort of colour I want the room to be, and then from this basis work in the lighting and the shadows, keeping in mind where I then think everything will be, and defining a clear set of lightsources, so I can use these as a reference for lighting any objects. With basic lighting done, I start painting in the meat of the scene; the various furnishings, embellishments, lighting them according to the light sources I've already established. With that done, I do a final pass, touching everything up and doing any final colour adjustments needed.

Grundislav

Daniel Thomas

Great podca(s)ts!
Looking forward to see some of you guys' high res art and what you think about the production time going from low-res to high-res.

Maybe all of us Swedish Adventure devs could get together some time, maybe play each others games and hack them to pieces (as in test play and give feedback) :)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Vince Twelve

This was a great one! I'm really glad you had Andail on. That was a great discussion on the creation and creative intentions of TSP.  And I'm really excited that Andail's working on his next game!

Grundislav

Fitz

Fun as always, I enjoyed the part about voice acting in particular. Grundy's crazy voices were all so effortless -- though Ben's impression of Sadwick might've been the highpoint of the podcast. One thing I noticed, though, is that Grundy's audio seems MUCH quieter than Ben's -- so it's hard to balance the volume, especially in a non-neutral environment, such as when I'm out walking.

Grundislav

I noticed this myself when I went back to give it a listen.  My fault for lazy editing!  A new, better balanced version has been uploaded.

Sslaxx

Gotta be careful doing that, because I noticed you substituted one problem - being quiet - for another - clipping.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Ponch

Stupot

I am the only photoshop filter fanatic.:cry:

As for topics, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure if you guys have done an episode dedicated to scripting/coding. It's come up occasionally in passing but maybe there's more to be said... Or Maybe there's nothing to be said at all. You decide. I'm just interested in your thoughts on the topic, any tricks or shortcuts you've acquired, anything you like/hate about scripting. Your proudest scripting achievement. Your worst piece of code ever. Whatever really... :-)

frenzykitty

Fitz

I liked the part about the audience's expectations about the endings in games. I think any sort ongoing series -- be it games, movies, books, tv series -- has people predicting what's next, and in the long run, how it'll all come to an end. As the series progresses, they get attached to their visions so much that the authors' way might cause disappointment and/or outrage. Case in point: Mass Effect 3. Harry Potter. Or, to take a few examples from TV this year, Dexter and How I Met Your Mother. Wasn't it Roland Barthes' "Death of the Author" that argued the story doesn't belong to the author anymore once they realse it to the public? I'd usually advocate the creator's freedom -- but that HIMYM ending was so horrid, pointless and illogical that I seriously question their competence ;)

Also, I listened to #43 tonight -- and I'm with you, Grundy, Photoshop 6 FTW, it's been my tool of choice since 2002 :D

Grundislav

Episode 47

Writing annoying/unlikeable characters, how to decide how much of their story to tell.

Chicky

Any news on the next podcast? Have just caught up with the last 15 or so episodes in my backlog := Really liked the GDC one, had a nifty change of pace.

If you're stuck for topics it would be nice to hear one about the challenges that come with making a commercial release, press packs, promotion, non disclosure contracts -that kind of thing :)

*Edit: Didn't think that through. Sorry for raising hopes of a new episode :sealed:

selmiak

and there I though yay, new episode.
Topics: Just let grundy's neighbour DJ for one whole episode or what chicky said!

Ponch

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 20/07/2014 01:16:20
and there I though yay, new episode.

Me too! For one brief moment, my hopes soared! But then they were dashed! DASHED! :cry:

Baron

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 20/07/2014 02:06:38
Me too! For one brief moment, my hopes soared! But then they were dashed! DASHED! :cry:

Like a Texan on the highway side.  Wait, is this the simile writing competition? ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk