BlueCupTools Podcats! Grundislav & ThreeOhFour! Episode 82!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 09/06/2012 07:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

And thus we brought our chances of ever being invited to the show down to zero! (laugh)

Or didn't we?

Fitz

Ah, there it is! I thought our suggestions of who to invite next made you realize it's time to axe the podcast! (laugh) But your silence on the matter speaks volumes :P

Icey

@Retro Wolf: I'll stand here and wait patiently in line for my turn if my name is in the cards. :wink:

Stupot

I just saw this tweet which basically sums up what you were talking about in the Podcast.
https://twitter.com/mcfunkypants/status/515910874851475456

I'm gonna try to bear this in mind for my new project, but I'm not really sure how easily it applies to adventure games. In our genre, it's normal to put it together one room or section at a time, so that some bits get finished before you've even started building other parts.

Ponch

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 28/09/2014 02:50:53
I am shocked and appalled that Icey wasn't interviewed in this otherwise riveting episode!!1!
I completely agree, Stu. (nod) ;)

selmiak

cool intro and thanks for reminding me of my horny parents thank you ppl :-D
what was this all about? OH, wait, i like it anyways ;-D

Stupot

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 28/09/2014 05:15:00
I am shocked and appalled that Icey wasn't interviewed in this otherwise riveting episode!!1!
I couldn't have said it better myself :-D

Ponch

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 28/09/2014 07:48:33
Quote from: Ponch on Sun 28/09/2014 05:15:00
Why do Ben and Grundy continue to ignore their listenership like this?! It's an outrage! Is it time to consider a boycott of the podcast? #CupGate
Woah, Stu. Settle down. I understand that you're upset. We all are. I don't know why GrundlBen have turned their back on us, their loyal audience, but that's no excuse for using words that the spellchecker doesn't recognize (i.e. "listenership"). All we can do is hope that Grundy and Ben will stop doing rails of coke off the rump end of their prostitute pile in their gilded NYC penthouse long enough to realize that their audience is outside with pitchforks and torches (unlit... so far). This can still be resolved peacefully... I hope. ;)

Ponch

Ooh! Downloading (and keeping my fingers crossed that this installment contains an interview with a certain someone!) :=

EDIT: For one, brief, shining moment, I thought a DeliverRants was afoot... But sadly, no. :cry:

Armageddon

Good podcast for me. I just finished my first game recently and I'm having trouble starting something new. Now that I know the time commitment and how unhappy I am with my skills and the finished product. I'm just not sure if it's worth it, I have game ideas but they are more ambitious and I'm haaving a hard time developing my skills and becoming more confident. So I just sit around and do nothing. And then I feel bad for not doing anything so I get anxious and I can't think of what to do when I get anxious and it's just digging a hole. :(
I think my problem is I don't want to do something small/inconsequential. I want something that has a point to it/a vision.

Still not sure what to do but you guys brought up a lot of good questions.

jwalt

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 04/10/2014 23:56:42

Good podcast for me. I just finished my first game recently

Not to derail the thread,  but where did you put your game? I'd like to take a look.

Fitz

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 04/10/2014 16:52:00(and keeping my fingers crossed that this installment contains an interview with a certain someone!) :=>

Wouldn't count on in the upcoming episode, either. Given the recent premiere of A Golden Wake, they're pretty much bound to invite Grundislav.

Oh, wait...

;)

Good episode, indeed. I'm having a hard time taking up big projects these days. Gray took me 2 years and 3 months -- and while it didn't feel that long in retrospect, it is a crazy amount of time to plan into the future. So I've only done little things since -- both of them for MAGS. I do enjoy the process, though. Still doing all the things by myself, so when I'm bored with animating, I just skip to writing dialogue or scripting. Same with comics. The one thing I somehow lost passion for is writing prose -- the ideas are there, oh so many ideas, but I'm paralyzed by the thought of just sitting there STARING AT THE SCREEN for hours, tapping away. I wish there were a way to make it feel more organic. Not pen and paper, I'm too chaotic and I want to be able to rewrite things without making too much of a mess. So I'm sitting and waiting for an e-ink typewriter.

Ponch

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 10/10/2014 20:48:55
Quote from: Ponch on Sat 04/10/2014 16:52:00(and keeping my fingers crossed that this installment contains an interview with a certain someone!) :=>

Wouldn't count on in the upcoming episode, either. Given the recent premiere of A Golden Wake, they're pretty much bound to invite Grundislav.

Are you insinuating that Grundislav would use his connections to land a sweet interview on the most popular AGS podcast on iTunes? Surely he would not abuse the privileges of the Bromance like that! Gosh! Maybe those gamer gate fellows are on to something when they talk about indie devs sleeping friendshipping their way to top. :=

Armageddon

Quote from: jwalt on Fri 10/10/2014 17:49:26

Good podcast for me. I just finished my first game recently

Not to derail the thread,  but where did you put your game? I'd like to take a look.
It's actually a mod, not a game. But it mods a free to download engine branch. http://www.moddb.com/mods/keys

ThreeOhFour

Good podcast for me. I just finished my first game recently and I'm having trouble starting something new. Now that I know the time commitment and how unhappy I am with my skills and the finished product. I'm just not sure if it's worth it, I have game ideas but they are more ambitious and I'm haaving a hard time developing my skills and becoming more confident. So I just sit around and do nothing. And then I feel bad for not doing anything so I get anxious and I can't think of what to do when I get anxious and it's just digging a hole. :(
I think my problem is I don't want to do something small/inconsequential. I want something that has a point to it/a vision.

I would say this is the hard part of being a new developer, when your ambition outweighs your ability, but in my experience that really doesn't go away. I still have more ambition than I do skill, and I have to keep that in check all the time, and tell myself to work within acceptable limits, even if it's just a game I'm being paid to do art for. Finding the balance is both hard and necessary, but working within those self-imposed limits can often be a good thing, and force you to make things good in more creative ways than just pure skill. Or something.

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 10/10/2014 20:48:55
So I'm sitting and waiting for an e-ink typewriter.

I want this. :cheesy:

Fitz

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Mon 13/10/2014 01:42:16I want this. :cheesy:

Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's going to be one anytime soon. E-ink reader's -- oh yes! But why in the world would Amazon add a keyboard to it so that you could use it for writing? Who would ever want that? (roll) As usual, you can count on crafty post-Soviet folks to hack the thing and turn it into a little typewriter -- but it's still far from perfect. I'm afraid we'll see bionic eyes go on sale sooner than we'll get a proper eye-friendly e-ink tablet. Oh well...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk