BlueCupTools Podcats! Grundislav & ThreeOhFour! Episode 82!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 09/06/2012 07:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 28/07/2015 15:19:50
I second that! If everyone casually did something like this when they're bored, the world would be so much more awesome.
That is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me :D Thanks.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

selmiak

@Amayirot Akago: that's an awesome tune!

@beecityunderscorepodcast:
thanks for your insights on this interesting topic. Imho characters should either just ramble, and then very long until you realize, that's not important, you have nothing important to say. If they are important to the plot transport the info you need to solve a puzzle or know what item(combination) they want in twitter length and let them have some ramble topics too. To give them character and not just a use for that puzzle. don't hide clues in long sentences. Spit out that clue, make it cryptic if you want to paralyze the player and then ramble around it in the next sentence.
shardlight sounds more and more intersting. I won't be surprised by that mother npc anymore, but I was wondering if they have some magic in that world. Do they pay with glowing shards that are shardlights? Will you throw some urianium flavoured shards into the box for the game? As collectables or to pay for milk in that world. I don't know. But I'd be interested in your opinions on stuff in the box besides the disc. maps, copy protection, that one item that saves the world cast in plastic or marble, other gameworld enhancing stuff... but this is probably not a podcasty topic in 2015, more like for a nostalgia podcast :P

Fitz

Amayirot Akago

Yay, you're back :D And yay, my silly song got played! Thanks guys, glad you liked it :=
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Quintaros

Thanks for the shout-out and the article link.  Interesting read. I wish it were that simple to get the rights to adapt an IP today.

ThreeOhFour

To be fair, it was an incredibly odd (and dishonest, heh) method of getting them! But it seemed to have worked. I wonder what the hell a themed restaurant adapted from that IP would even be like...

Grundislav

I've noticed the font is comic sans for a while now.

Ponch

Andail

A good episode!

However I think developers have moved away from puzzle-heavy, inventory-dense game designs for quite some time now. Most of the recent big titles have featured mostly cinematics, cut-scenes and a focus on atmosphere and characterisation.

I played Walking Dead and was surprised to see that most of the gameplay was reduced to making decisions such as answering yes or no every now and then, which in the end turned out not to alter the game very much anyways. But players thought it was a great adventure game, so that's what people want these days - to never get stuck.

David Ostman

I don't want to get stuck anymore. Not for any extended period of time, at least. There was a time when I felt like I had all the time in the world, but today with a family and work, every second feels precious, and whenever I'm stuck in a game I feel as if that time is somehow wasted, and I start to get stressed out about that lost time that I could have used on... not being stuck.

That said, puzzles were never the main attraction for me strangely enough. I always enjoyed the storytelling, the graphics, the dialogues, the settings and atmosphere more, so I think on a personal level I feel as if the games of today are more geared towards David of today :)

MiteWiseacreLives!

I kinda hate that I agree with you, David. I want lots of challenging puzzles and interesting uses of inventory, but I have that same problem with time! I can only spend so much time on a game, I start cheating if I'm stuck for ten minutes, then I feel shame :-[
I think the answer might lie in medium difficulty puzzles and crap loads of interactivity, things to look at and interact with (also a pleasant distraction when stuck).
Good podcast, I still love the batmobile (hate it when they turn it into a tank) and I think the Arkham games are kinda just glorious button mashers.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Grundislav

David Ostman

I have a podcast app that's very on top of things ;)

Grundislav

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk