The Adventures of Trooper Webb

Started by pharlap, Sun 22/07/2012 08:25:54

Previous topic - Next topic

pharlap

Hey all, please bare with me. I am doing my damndest to attach these screen shots so I hope they come into the thread okay. From what I have read the shots themselves should come up, although to me only a link appears in this post.

First up, many many thanks to NickyNyce for some great scripting advice that helped me a lot. I would still be stuck on the first room if not for Nicky.

My game is a star wars parody that I making as a birthday for a friend who is a hard core starwars nut. This is my first game for AGS and I hope it goes down well. It is a combination of traditional AGS problem solving and some action bits and pieces (the latter arent hard).
The player is an inept bumbling storm trooper doing his best... but gets off on the wrong foot with Darth Vader and finds himself sent on a series of absurd missions.
It comprises five phases:
1. Training. A few rooms of basic training. Learning to walk around, talk, pick up items, combine items etc. Culminates in a session at the firing range.

2. Mission 1: Endor. The protagonist must deploy to Endor to fight the evil feral care bears living there. A very basic mission in both problem solving and action termsn.

3. Mission 2: The player is posted to a prison space station to guard the detainees there. The rebels raid it and our character is imprisoned. He must escape from his cell and then retake the station. Heavy problem solving orientation with some action.

4. Mission 3: The player is deployed to the Mos Eisley space port at Tatooine to eliminate Princess. Some action stuff but mostly out of the box problem solving. As a tribute to the original Star Trek, the character encounters the Gorn in a rocky desert area outside the space port. No spoilers but how the player overcomes this encounter will give the advantage to those familiar with the old star trek episode in question.

5. Mission 4: Dagobar. The player is tasked with the assassination of the legendary Jedi Master, Kermit. Far more problem solving than action oriented phase (although a bit of mad running around is recommended when encountering certain adversaries). Not wanting to say too much, but there is a settlement of cliche rednecks that the player must contend with.

This is a screenshot from the intro cut scene to Mission 1.

Our Storm Trooper flees angry care bears

The protagonist takes the fight to the enemy on Endor and storms the Care-Bear village of Care-A-Lot!!

Mission 2: The prison space station. Trooper Webb discovers a strange and bangy looking device attached to the stations main reactor. But how to disarm it? Well, theres a lot of puzzle solving, finding and combining things involved.

Mission 2 again. The character re captures a pair of vile rebels!

Mission 3: Tatooine. Our character confronts the Gorn in a tribute to the original star trek. This scenario involves several screens of being chased around aquiring and combining the necessary materials to eliminate the Gorn in the same way Kirk did.

Mission 3 again. An annoying small child tries to rob Trooper Webb in an alleyway in Mos Eisley

Mission 4: Dagobar. The storm trooper tries to talk his way out of a potential shotgun wedding with one of the local rednecks

More Mission 4: Our hero searches the swamp lands for Kermit

Okay, hopefully this is enough screenshots to meet the rules. Really really trying not to give spoilers

This is a screenshot from the training phase- at the firing range. A variety of different targets, some are pop ups, some are mobile. I've built it in structural terms along the lines of automated firing ranges. A minor part of the game, but a fun one to create.

The game is basically complete. I just need to do some fine tuning. Should hopefully have it up her for you all in a few weeks.

I've spent almost every waking hour on this (when not at work) for a few months and think the product is AGS worthy, at least for a first game.

Its built around a mix of off the wall humour, problem solving and basic action stuff.

Hope you all enjoy it!

CaptainD

I love the idea of playing the role of an inept stormtrooper!  Sounds like it should be a lot of fun.

NickyNyce

I wish you luck pharlap, no need to thank me. The pictures appear fine. There are a million great scripters around here and the fact that I helped you means there's a chance your computer might get up off your desk and jump out the window. I recommend placing a mattress in your yard!

Playing a stormtrooper sounds like fun and so does killing a care bear or two. I like the direction you're heading with this Star Wars game, not the typical approach which is what makes this all the more interesting.

Darth Mandarb

** updated first post with new screenshots - thanks for adding them **

steptoe

Love the idea of a star wars type game. I remember the old 90's pc star wars game (whatever it was called.)

Anyhow, I think your graphics are a mesh of what look like photos, cutouts and  blob type characters and not to pleasing to the eye. However, the right combination and usage could make it very good visually (constructive not negative comment.)

Maybe this is what you intend and I expect the images shown are very low res.

All in all, good luck with the project.

It's not over until the fat lady sings..

pharlap

Scary hat wearing moderator guy...  Thanks for merging the extra 8 screenshots to make the required 10. But the commentary has kind of got mixed around in the process. Easy enough thing to do.

Steptoe, yep. Correct- the backgrounds are mostly photos given my total lack of artistic ability when it comes to MS paint. I have about half a dozen people play testing the game at the moment. So far they seem to be enjoying it. They seem to like the gameplay, problem solving and humour element. Having said that, the former are all subjective and those play testing it do have a similar sense of humour to myself.

But ultimately I guess the proof will be in the proverbial pudding. Some people will like it. Some will hate it and some will fall somewhere in the middle.

I think that for a first AGS game this is a worthy offering. Again time will tell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk