Resonance - Now on Steam!

Started by Vince Twelve, Tue 19/06/2012 04:24:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

How the fuck did I miss this?!!

GAAAH! I've got money saved for a new guitar amp at the moment, so unfortunately this is going to have to wait for just a LITTLE bit :(

But you can bet your pantaloons, Vince-baby, that I'll be purchasing this ASAP. Been waiting a long time for this masterpiece! Great to see it's out!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Stupot

Haha, Snake. Where have been for the past month? Get on Twitter, man!

Ilyich

Finally found some time to play this, and, long story short - it was very, very good!

The puzzle design was especially strong, I thought - diverse, inventive, and just the right difficulty for me - logical and solvable without a walkthrough, but tough enough to make me go "A-ha!" from time to time. :) I can only imagine how taxing it was to programm all that stuff, but it was definitely worth it in the end!

The writing was also top-notch, with some great humour embedded into the dramatic and thrilling narrative.

And all those little animations, and the highly compelling voice acting, and the nicely contemporary soundtrack, with hints of Ligeti and other wonderful composers of our time... High marks all round, basically! Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved!

Nikolas

Quote from: Ilyich on Thu 02/08/2012 14:40:27
And all those little animations, and the highly compelling voice acting, and the nicely contemporary soundtrack, with hints of Ligeti and other wonderful composers of our time... High marks all round, basically! Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved!
I love you! You spotted these moments... A little Ligeti and Pederecki inside there! ;)

I'm SO glad someone picked that up! I read some reviews, almost all positive about the music, but a couple mentioning that 'the music just did the job right', or that 'the music was dull but ok'... I mean bleh with 21 tracks, some of them multilayered, etc... :P

You just made my day!

arj0n

Boxed edition arrived today, yeey!
Compliments on the game and the box format Vince & Dave.

AJA

Got mine aswell, awesome! First boxed AGS game I've ever owned! :D

Vince Twelve

Woo!  It's been awesome to hear about the boxes arriving around the world this week!  Some people have been tweeting pictures.

In other news, Felicia Day digs Resonance!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Wef0694aY

Peder 🚀

Both my boxes has been stopped in customs and they are making me pay £22.38 to get them..
(They charge £8 just in handling fees).

This honestly just put me off even wanting these any more :(.

Dave,
Is there a reason why whoever sent the boxes for you used a default value instead of the total value of the order itself for the customs declaration? Because the only way these could have been stopped in customs is if the value was set to $24.99 (which is some pennies over £15 which seems to be the import value limit).

selmiak

Mine arrived and it looks great.
But it was sent to my old address (probably still on paypal) and not to the one I entered when I ordered, but now I finally got it :D

cianty

I too just got mine (Germany). No problems with customs although I expected to have and already prepared the bill and everything. Nice surprise!

The box looks great. I must admit I still was a little disappointed to see that it was a small box design. I think it's about the size of my Commandos 2 (or 3?) box wheras Grim Fandango and Monkey 3 are "big" boxes...
ca. 70% completed

R4L

Just wanted to share that Game Informer has a review for this game in their latest issue, and it has a good rating! :)

Great work guys.

Nikolas

Is it possible to scan the review, or is it something one can get online? Thanks for letting us know!

R4L

I'll take a picture of it on my camera I just moved and currently don't have a scanner here.

EDIT: OK, so I took multiple pictures. Should be able to read the whole review.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8

I did the best I could with my stupid camera. The text setting doesn't work :p

EDIT: If you can't read it, here's the review typed out:

Spoiler
Point and click adventures aren't the industry's blockbusters, and they don't establish developers as major players. If a team is creating an adventure game in this day and age, you know that a desire for wealth and fame isn't the driving force; it's passion.

That love for the genre shows through in Resonance. Its excellent writing and believable characters follow in the footsteps of the adventure game greats, while twists on the familiar formula keep the surprises coming.

As a narrative-driven experience, Resonance's best moments come from its cast. The story follows four characters who meet in the wake of a mysterious explosion, then work together to find out the cause and prevent further incidents. Saying more than that would reveal too much, and unraveling the plot is part of the fun. The four main characters are variations on standard archetypes (nerdy scientist, gruff cop, etc.), but they are well-written and don't always act as you expect, resulting in some cool and memorable developments.

If you've played any of the '90s adventure games from LucasArts or Sierra, the basic controls are easy to grasp. You click on things, and characters grab them, talk to them, or say something about them. Where Resonance sets itself apart from its predecessors is the implementation of the memory system, which essentially gives players a mental inventory in addition to standard physical objects. The concept works great; your memory allows you to talk to characters about events or objects instead of just showing them things you're carrying. Since any object in the world can be dragged to memory, this adds a new degree of freedom and invites a different kind of experimentation than the usual "use this item on this item" crutch.

For all its innovation, Resonance falls into some old traps. It generally avoids item-combination puzzles, but that makes them more unexpected and aggravating when they do happen - especially since your required components could be split among multiple characters' inventories. Resonance is also short, clocking in around seven hours for me. That isn't a problem from a value perspective (it costs $10), but it limits how much the characters can use their unique skills. The four leads still have opportunities to shine, but more time in the spotlight would have made even more compelling heroes.

Resonance feels like a lost classic from the golden age of adventure gaming. It has some of the same shortcomings, but it also captures the thrill of exploration, the satisfaction of figuring out interesting puzzles, and the payoff of a well-told story. These elements demonstrate a reverence for the genre that can't be manufactured, and anyone who shares the same passion shouldn't miss Resonance. -Joe Juba.

Score: 8 out of 10

>>  Concept: A point and click adventure incorporating a modern narrative style.

>>  Graphics: Looks like an adventure game from the '90s. That's supposed to be a compliment.

>>  Sound: Quality voice acting helps make the characters convincing.

>>  Playability: A few puzzles have obtuse solutions, but most situations just require experimentation  and conversation.

>>  Entertainment: Adventure game fans should enjoy Resonance's combination of storytelling and puzzle solving.

>>  Replay Value: Moderate.
[close]

Xionix

Here is the link of the Game Informer review, its the same that is written on the magazine. I think this is the 1st AGS reviewed by Game Informer if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/resonance/b/pc/archive/2012/07/06/resonance-review.aspx

R4L

Quote from: Xionix on Tue 28/08/2012 02:06:56
Here is the link of the Game Informer review, its the same that is written on the magazine. I think this is the 1st AGS reviewed by Game Informer if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/resonance/b/pc/archive/2012/07/06/resonance-review.aspx

I am annoyed that I spent that much time typing that out haha. Good find there. :)

Vince Twelve

Dude, thanks for typing that out!  It's the thought that counts!  I've got to get my hands on a copy of that mag!

KrisJay

Thank you for the game. Have not played such a good adventure for a looooooong time.

Stupot

I've just been informed by my mum that a card has arrived for me from the Post Office saying that I also have to ay £11.19 to recieve my boxed copy. (I'm farting about in Newcastle, hence my mum still gets my mail.)  I thought I was okay because apparently 'a game or dvd or something' had arrived for me a few weeks ago and I'd assumed it was Resonance, but apparently not.  Peder, did you manage to sort something out or did you just pay the money?

Peder 🚀

I just paid the money since Royal Mail just seemed to play stupid to avoid not getting their money.
Their fees are outrageous because we have no option to deal with customs personally which I think we should.
In the end I had to even go pick them up myself so they haven't even done any delivery...

SSH

I'd suggest that to avoid the cost, UK copies could be sent as almost entirely shipping and handling rather than cost: if you included a free download copy with each CD, then you'd only need to charge the cost of the CD itself rather than the value of game+CD. Also make sure not to include shipping/handling in the customs value.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk