About website improvement ideas

Started by timofonic, Tue 19/06/2012 16:44:09

Previous topic - Next topic

timofonic

Hello.

I see the AGS website has been greatly improved. Congratulations!

I have some ideas I would like to share with others and discuss them. While the website design has been improved dramatically, I think it usability could be improved a bit. Here are some ideas...

About the main site...

* Put news about AGS project in a blog-like way, this is something that improves visibility and it's done by other Open Source projects: OpenWrt, Battle for Wesnoth, KDE, Blender etc. You could put a main new section related to the software announcements, and others for different topics (released games, awards, contests, etc).
* A Planet-like thing would be interesting to have. You could use a Planet, a sindication on the main site or something between all that. This way, it could be easier to look at other AGS-related blogs and get informed. Please don't forget to use tags appropiately to sort different information into proper sections if necessary.
* Some cool slideshow or random screenshot of the more interesting games would make AGS more interesting too. There are available solutions for it in php, you could use them.
* Project developers should have their own blogs to post about stuff they are working on, so users and other developers could watch what's coming in AGS.

About the wiki...

* Please include a section to the Wiki in the up part, just like the other sections.
* I think the wiki should be the central information repository of the project to both developers and game makers. Offline documentation could be generated easily, permissions to make certain pages by a special group (like "documentation team") could be done and offline documentation can be generated in many ways.
* The wiki currently needs a main page design overhaul.
* I think wiki.adventuregamestudio.co.uk should be considered as a prettier subdomain to access the wiki.

BigMc

Quote from: timofonic on Tue 19/06/2012 16:44:09
* I think the wiki should be the central information repository of the project to both developers and game makers. Offline documentation could be generated easily, permissions to make certain pages by a special group (like "documentation team") could be done and offline documentation can be generated in many ways.

How to handle the offline documentation is discussed here.

Crimson Wizard

Is it possible to make a scaled-up picture appear when game's screenshot is clicked in the game database?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk