John Eagle - My first taste of AGS

Started by Rofl_Mao, Wed 15/08/2012 20:03:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Rofl_Mao

In Steam summer sale, I bought Ben There, Dan That & Time, Gentlemen, Please!. I enjoy them both, but I was surprised when I found out the games were made using AGS. I have used AGS waayyyyy years ago and remember being confused and put off by the interface. Out of curiosity I downloaded the latest version and whoa--it was all very friendly now! I want to explore the engine a little bit, and the best way to do it is to create one small game. This game is John Eagle. Since it's just a small game, I can do it alone, right?

Yeah but it took way longer than I thought. Next time I'll search for friends.

It's a very short PnC about a clueless detective. Left by his most trustworthy assistant, he can't even manage to do a simple task: making breakfast for himself. Here's where you get involved.

If you guys have the time, please try it :D the game is very short. There are many criticisms I'd like to hear about this one:

The character: John Eagle's supposed to be a strange one. He speaks verbose English while other characters in the game speak normally. He's supposed to be a hilariously incompetent version of Professor Layton. He tried his best to look like a gentleman but fails. Does the game reflect this?

The writing: I'm not a native English speaker, and my English teacher is Monkey Island. Any criticisms about my English would be veeeeery useful.

The puzzles: It's all "grab items there use it here" variations. I'd explore puzzles a bit after I'm more used to AGS.

Don't expect much from the art, I don't have any drawing abilities whatsoever and just barely managed to get a crude pixel "art". That said I'd like to know if the style fits the mood of the game or not.

Lastly, there's something I'd like to add but I don't have time since I'll be away from my PC for two weeks:
1. To make the copter in the first scene moving
2. Some janky bugs about character facing. This felt random, sometimes the character faced in the right direction, sometimes not
3. For the game to have more sound effects and more than 1 music.

Get the game here - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9wwzgjako5uk0li

Armageddon

Protip: Import all your graphics at the lowest resolution and use AGS's 2x-4x filtering it get bigger pixels, your screen shots have some serious conflicting resolutions.

Rofl_Mao

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 15/08/2012 23:21:58
Protip: Import all your graphics at the lowest resolution and use AGS's 2x-4x filtering it get bigger pixels, your screen shots have some serious conflicting resolutions.

Never thought anything like this! I'll give it a try.

Tinytim

I'm an old codger who uses AGS games to keep the old grey matter functioning. This was a wonderful first time game. Thank you and all game makers.
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk