MAGS July: "Fairy Tale" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 06/07/2012 18:30:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Steak-Cake? Sweet biscuits, why didn't anyone tell me this exists! I'm dying for a slice! Heck, I'd even be willing to wash it down with some of that bagged milk they have up north. (Canadians are so kooky!)

Also, the deadline for this MAGS is August 6th. If you're going to enter a game, Nightfable, you'd better hustle! The game can be as small or big as you like and can have as many or as few puzzles as you feel like putting into it. Good luck!  :smiley:

Nightfable

Thanks Ponch! :D I've started yesterday and I'm working hard on it (with my nearly non-existant programming skills). ;-D

It will be a silly game about the tale of 'The Billy Goats Gruff' in VGA/EGA/Tandy (16 colors) graphics.

Ghost

Sorry, man, I totally made up steak-pie and just had the name copyrighted for my upcoming epic tale of OceanStealy Cakey, Scource of the Whipped Cream. No swiping!
But don't worry, recipes for your personal steak-pie will eventually make their way into the game as DLC (Downloadable Cake).

Quote from: Nightfable on Wed 01/08/2012 18:35:55
It will be a silly game about the tale of 'The Billy Goats Gruff' in VGA/EGA/Tandy (16 colors) graphics.
Ghost approves +12 (nod) That sounds cool, and I tip my hat for anyone racing Ponch on a six-day track!

I am totally derailing the thread, ain't I?

Ponch

Derailing? Don't be silly. Talk of downloadable cake is ALWAYS welcome!  :cheesy:

Atelier

I've made a background but there's no way I'll finish (without it being crapola).

Yeah, I've decided to enter with my crapola game. I hope everybody sees it as... a testament to human resolve when facing a deadline... or something. Anyway I'm glad you're entering Nightfable. Now we need to make sure we're not beaten by a cow who had like a 10 year head-start.

Nightfable

Ghost approves +12 (nod) That sounds cool, and I tip my hat for anyone racing Ponch on a six-day track!
Hey Ghost, thanks! I'm gonna try my best, will be the first game I ever finished, lol!

Yeah, I've decided to enter with my crapola game. I hope everybody sees it as... a testament to human resolve when facing a deadline... or something. Anyway I'm glad you're entering Nightfable. Now we need to make sure we're not beaten by a cow who had like a 10 year head-start.

Can't be as bad as my crappy attempt, Atelier.  :-D Yay for human resolve when facing a deadline! What is your game about?

Ponch

Ten year head start my big bovine butt! I have apparently outfoxed all of you with my devious plan of starting the game at the start of the contest. No one could have seen that coming!  8-)

Armageddon

So is this being extended a month I was really looking forward to a new MAGs.

Ponch

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 04/08/2012 05:23:42
So is this being extended a month I was really looking forward to a new MAGs.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg  :confused:

Ponch

Behold! My MAGS game (and with several hours to spare before the dreaded deadline! ;-D )

"The Mayor's New Dress"
(Inspired by the fairy tale "The Emperor's New Clothes")

This story, done in a "visual novel" approach, follows mayor Marguerite DuChamp as she deals with the fallout of a very sexy scandal that could end in her losing her seat in the mayor's office. If she's going to win over the hearts of the people who could vote to throw her out of power (and into prison), she's really going to have to wow them with a powerfully persuasive oration. But where on earth can she find a dress suitable for such an important speech? If you know the fairy tale, you know what happens next. (Or do you?)

I've never done a visual novel style game before, so this was quite a lot of fun -- and more work than I expected it to be. I hope you like it enough to vote for me.  8-)

In order to keep with the MAGS rule of "all new assets", I drew a ton of new art for this game and made sure to use NO sprites, GUIS, or cursors from any prior Barn Runner games (except for the TackyWorld logo, but that purple planet is my thing, man! You can't ask me to give it up!)

Thanks to Dualnames for the music, Trampoline for translating a bit of Latin, Ben304 for the nice painting he provided, Baron for the theme, and Atelier for keeping MAGS running every month.

DOWNLOAD AND LET THE TAWDRY ADVENTURE BEGIN! (Seriously, shame on you!)

Tabata

“ ... sugar buns!"

" ... sugar buns?"

" ... SUGAR BUNS!”

Nobody? (roll)

Well, it was worth a tawdry try 

Nightfable

I think I'll still be able to finish mine -- it's 4:56 PM here in Ontario. So, it's still the 6th.  ;)

arj0n

Ponch

Quote from: Nightfable on Mon 06/08/2012 21:58:30
I think I'll still be able to finish mine -- it's 4:56 PM here in Ontario. So, it's still the 6th.  ;)

Still a few hours left. Drink a big cup of coffee and fire up AGS! I know you can do it!  ;-D

EDIT: Tabata, your bottomless barrel of cow gifs never fails to amuse me.  8-)

Nightfable

Loved your game, Ponch, it was fun!! Great art skills!!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm hoping I can make it!!

P.S. I don't have any coffee. Does wine count?  :tongue:

Ponch

Thanks! I'm not entirely happy with all of the art. I drew all of those pictures over two weekends, so some of them are really rushed. Several of the figures are too stiff and many of the angles used are pretty basic. I was hoping the visual novel style would give me a chance to do more varied backgrounds than the usual the nice, safe perspectives that I tend to use for my regular adventure games (a safe, boring background makes it so much easier for characters to walk around in). But, alas, it was a little too ambitious of a project to attempt for a MAGS contest and the end result isn't quite what I had hoped it would be.  :undecided:

Still, I made a template out of it, so maybe I'll try something like it again one of these days when I have more time. Maybe Oceanspirit Dennis: The Visual Novel? At last, a chance to render Dennis in numerous loving, detailed closeups!  :=

Also, stay away from the wine! Booze only slows you down at crunch time! I'm speaking from experience here!  :shocked:

Good luck! Still an hour or two left!

Nightfable

My first completed game: Billy Goats Gruff!!

--> Download here <--

Please remember these when playing:

• uses a verbcoin
  • ridiculously short
  • made without any coding skills

Atelier

Absolutely awesome guys! Now I'm hoping to avoid the topic of my entry- doh! But seriously, I had an unexpected commitment and it was just too un-finished. Nightfable, is was based on King Kojata, a Slavonic tale.

So let's vote!

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

The Mayor's New Dress by Ponch
Billy Goats Gruff by Nightfable

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Voting ends 21/8/12.

Ponch

Quote from: Nightfable on Tue 07/08/2012 07:40:07
My first completed game: Billy Goats Gruff!!

Hooray! \o/

Congrats on making your first game, Nightfable. I hope you're not hungover from all the wine.  :wink:

Also, boo to Atelier with his promises of a game that never materialized! Boo! (I guess you'll have to submit it for amnesty!)  :=

Atelier

I might, if I have time for that even :~(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk