the metal thread \m/

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 07/07/2012 21:09:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Do we have any metalheads here besides me and well.......maybe Chicky and Peder? ;) Metal is my top choice for music and if you think different leave now!!!! :D I hope this can be a place where we just can tip each other of great bands/songs and I'll begin by directing you to a band that kicks ass so hard even your unborn grandchildren will feel it!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTvAOXDm8K8
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

EchosofNezhyt

I'm a 80 to now rock kinda guy. I listen to alot of metallica and pearl jam when I'm drawing.

Mouth for war

Metallica died with the black album IMO but many people found Metallica with that album too...and among the big four...I think Megadeth and Metallica sucks the most hehe

EchosofNezhyt

I'm not into music enough to think about it that much, Its weird since I like to play it but I just listen to whatever is relaxing though I don't really deviate from guitar related stuff.
Big thing for me is I listen to it while I'm drawing most of the time so Heavy stuff makes me wanna throw my tablet through my screen and start flipping tables :P so its not that great for relaxing while drawing for me at least.

Ponch

Quote from: Mouth for war on Sat 07/07/2012 21:09:48
Do we have any metalheads here besides me and well.......maybe Chicky and Peder? ;)

You mean bands like Air Supply and REO Speedwagon? Oh yeah, man. I'm in the club too. I love a band that puts a little electric guitar in their songs (just so long as it's not too loud or distorted).  :cool: :wink:

Seriously though, you're right about Metallica. A couple of my friends love later Metallica but hate the older stuff like Master of Puppets.  (roll)  Justice For All was the last Metallica album I ever bought. After my friends in high school suddenly discovered them and started asking me if I had seen the "Johnny Got His Gun" video on MTV, a fuse blew in my brain and I was sort of done with Metallica. The same thing happened when Judas Priest covered Johnny B. Goode. Turbo with its guitar synthesizers was bad enough, but now I was suddenly aware that a bunch of middle aged guys were singing on MTV about how they didn't need no parental guidance.  (wrong)  Sigh.

British Steel still rocks though.

Perkele2012

at the gates, the haunted, children of bodom ,korpiklani ,finntroll and raised fist!

pretty much all music works for me nowdays.

still listening to youth of today,gorilla bisquits and bold but that´s not really metal now is it?!

and metallica died with CB...  :sad:

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 07/07/2012 22:37:17
Quote from: Mouth for war on Sat 07/07/2012 21:09:48
Do we have any metalheads here besides me and well.......maybe Chicky and Peder? ;)
Metallica.

I like most there stuff. Though I will say death magnetic wasn't very good.

Sane Co.

What about symphonic metal? Such as Nightwish and Within Temptation

ThreeOhFour

What!? No mention of Painkiller!? 8-0  :sad:

Frodo

Quote from: Sane Co. on Sun 08/07/2012 00:04:38
What about symphonic metal? Such as Nightwish and Within Temptation

DEFINATELY with you there!  And have to add Epica and Evanescence.   :grin:

Also, what about the likes of Nick Cave, and Tarot?   :wink:

EchosofNezhyt

I feel lame, I don't know who any of these bands are.

Well besides Evanescence(Cool piano) and REO Speedwagon cause I saw a late night infomercial.

Babog

Oh, man! I can't believe that after all this time, I finally feel overwhelmingly compelled to speak, and THIS of all things is going to be my first post! Here we go:
Finntroll! Moonsorrow! Behemoth! Keep of Kalessin! Etc.!
It was just the other day that a friend and I were talking about the fact that you can tell a true metal fan by how quickly they begin to spout off their "List."  :grin:

Ponch

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sun 08/07/2012 02:28:25

What!? No mention of Painkiller!? 8-0  :sad:

Every JP album is worth your time. Of course, even the best Priest album is no match for the relentless, crunchy heaviness of REO Speedwagon, but Priest is still a fine band.  :wink:

ThreeOhFour

Oh boy, this brings back memories of when "Helm" competed on AGS Idol on the AGS show and did a hardcore cover of REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You".

A simple time... (when I wasn't even a forum member).

Ponch

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sun 08/07/2012 05:25:45
Oh boy, this brings back memories of when "Helm" competed on AGS Idol on the AGS show and did a hardcore cover of REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You".

A simple time... (when I wasn't even a forum member).

Such things were only possible back in the days of EZBoard. Man, I miss those wild party days. Just thinking about it makes me all misty for the days when Snake was promising Legend of Leitor's Edge and we were all young and foolish enough to believe him.  :wink: (I kid, Snakie poo. I keed!)

Peder 🚀

Metal? YUCK! I prefer K-Pop! bye.

Anian

**RANT MODE ACTIVATED**
There was a joke in the other thread about "how you can spot a vegan" with the punchline "They'll let you know". That's about the same thing as with metal fans. So many stereotypes, so many of them think they're special and so many fans that wear their bloody t-shirts and have long hair and wore down clothes...and every one of them think that's cool. And let's not forget they all try to play an electric guitar.

What I found was that most metal bands consist of bright people usually pretty calm in nature that come on to stage and yell into a microphone and apparently there's many skilled in guitar playing, but when they play you you don't really get what's being played just shredding racket. Lyrics are either some depressing emo crap or some fantasy world dribble, which their fans think is the greatest thing EVAR.
And let us not forget of a romantic/sad/love story being as a melodic calm intro that burst into pure unrecognisable yelling  then back to melodic then back to yelling - and it should be profound and interesting and show that they're creative.
**RANT MODE OVER**

Personally 99.99% of it is just overly hyped and just plain stressful to me and I take no enjoyment out of listening to it, basically I have "an old man" opinion of it being just annoying noise reaction to it. It's definitely not the worst of what music and offer, as it takes some skill but it's close.
I mostly like the old metal album covers and art though.  :smiley:
I don't want the world, I just want your half

ThreeOhFour

To be fair, discussions about a metal band you like usually ends in the same way no matter who you're talking to  :cheesy:

If you tell it to someone who is not a fan of the genre they say "Ugh, metal, I hate that". If you tell it to someone who is a fan of metal bands they'll often say "Ugh, that's First-Wave-Scandanavian-Doom-Grind, I only like Post-Neo-Thrashcore! I hate that!"

Except Xenogia. Xenogia is cool  :=

(this is totally an exaggeration, but I have found this oh so often in discussion about the topic :D )

Babog

From my experience in the metal community around here it's considered bad form to be a narrow-focused metal purist. People are more likely to brag about their eclectic taste, and wide range of favorite metal styles. A typical conversation between two metalheads meeting for the first time is often awkward and cute as they both list off favorite bands, just HOPING for some overlap in their taste! It can get really uncomfortable if it goes on too long. :embarrassed: When they finally find some common ground, they totally light up and now they can geek out on the one band they both like! :grin:

Even if I haven't been able to appreciate a band's albums, I sometimes change my mind if I see them live. Some bands you just can't "get" until then. Anyone seen a good live show lately?

EchosofNezhyt

I've never been to a concert, Not my kind of thing.

Peder 🚀

mkennedy

Master of Puppets is quite possibly the greatest album of all time if not the greatest metal album in my honest opinion, but definitely the best Metallica album. It's a shame that Cliff died though, most of the stuff from the 90's was mediocre at best. I've heard some of the songs off "Death Magnetic" and thought they were OK. Personally I prefer mostly 80s metal and thrash. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Exodus, Def Leppard (am I misspelling that right?), Dio, Ozzy Osbourne. Also like System of a Down and got some Nirvana MP3s and had two Creed songs but I removed them in hopes of finding better quality versions.

Ponch

Quote from: mkennedy on Tue 10/07/2012 05:04:40
Dio

Man, I love Dio so much I put him in every Oceanspirit Dennis game I make.  :cool:

Mouth for war

Quote from: PvtRichardCranium on Thu 12/07/2012 04:51:38
FUCKIN' SLAYER!
Hell yeah! Reign in blood is the real deal hehe! Cliff Burton died like...70 kilometres from my town and just a few years ago they finally put up a monument there.

steptoe

I saw Black Sabbath on SAT 27 MAY 1978 at Lewisham Odeon, UK.

The gig: Ear scatteringly great 8-)

Heavy metal had already started to rise after their first album.

HM was still fairly new to most people and let me tell you: Nothing hits you quite as hard as HM at full volume.

I remember all to well the young upstarts trying to copy BS... Next to hit me hard was Motorhead (saw them on first tour supporting Blue Oyster Cult)and Metallica,

Long live HM  (nod)

It's not over until the fat lady sings..

Stupot

I'm more of a punk man myself, but I like listening to a bit of metal from time to time.  Wouldn't call myself a fan though. The Rock Society at uni is pretty much the Metal Society. I felt like a bit of an outsider because I wasn't an aficionado of the genre, and couldn't partake in their  metal "discussions" (which is really just a bunch of people name-dropping as many ever-increasingly obscure bands as they can).  One guy, in my whole four years of Uni, I never saw him not wearing his Iron Maiden hoody.  That's dedication. I bet he sleeps in that bad-boy, and he'll probably die in it too.

steptoe

I remember very much the sex pistols being interviewed by Bob? Grundy...

The only punk bands I actually saw live were Newtown Neurotics and Peter and the test tube babies (Brixton UK around 1980).

They were the days  (nod)

Stupot

Wow, I was born a decade or two too late.  Would have loved to have been a teenager in the late 70s. Luckily, I've managed to see a few of my favourite punk bands from the era â'¶ Stranglers, Sham 69, UK Subs, New York Dolls.

Bulbapuck

Music is my religion, and metal is my drug (nod)

I've been the vocalist (growler) for a death metal/sludge band for some time now, and I love nothing more than to play metal. I've grown up in gothenburg which is a city well known for it's death metal and I have met tons of people involved in the scene. If you're a metal lover like me it's been the best place in the world to grow up! One of my best memories is meeting Tompa (At The Gates vocalist) at a bar and having a few drinks with him while discussing metal. It's really weird, but these things happen here all the time ;-D

If you love death metal like me, here's a band you should check out:
[embed=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzAnRLfZOY[/embed]

It's one of the best new bands out there in the genre, but they haven't gotten the attention they deserve.

(You can check my band out *here* if you're interested :))

EchosofNezhyt

That drawing is very badass.

steptoe

QuoteI've been the vocalist (growler) for a death metal/sludge band for some time now, and I love nothing more than to play metal. I've grown up in gothenburg which is a city well known for it's death metal and I have met tons of people involved in the scene.

Are Napalm Death still going? They were big in Germany. I think they started all that. Not a lover myself.

Bulbapuck

I don't actually know what band specifically started death metal, some say it was Death, but I don't know. As for Napalm Death, I never actually got into them either. But I think they're still around.

Mouth for war

"Are Napalm Death still going? They were big in Germany. I think they started all that. Not a lover myself."
They sure are. I love Napalm death!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpHIiPrDsG0 Here's my old band....I'm singing/playing guitar :D

FamousAdventurer77

I'm into mostly punk and hardcore but like a lot of crossover, thrash, and death metal. Some of my favorite metal bands have to be Testament, Carnivore, Type O Negative (class of their own), Arch Enemy, Deceased, and Death but I also happen to adore Satyricon and Blind Guardian (from when they were a speed metal band in the 80's, though I do like their ballad-y stuff.)

I've always considered Leeway and DRI to be the bands that bridge the gap for the music scenes I live in.

Have you played Metal Dead? It didn't have the death metal in-jokes I was hoping for, but I got a few chuckles out of it.
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Ghost

Not a pure metal-head, me, but we rubbed shoulders and I am still fond of some old stuff.

Metal Carry-On: No mention of Helloween yet? Seriously, ARE YOU METAL?
Metal Reminescence: And Iron Maiden? C'mon, they introduced my to the style! Some of the best lyrics, too. And Eddie's just awesome.
Metal Metal: I had a good laugh at Manowar performing Heart of Steel in Germany, with German lyrics. A perfect example of Large Ham.
Hmmmm, ham.

(Metal) Fun Fact: Metallica actually died after Ride The Lightning. Which makes sense, I think.

suicidal pencil

Where's Venom? :(

[embed=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kn875tR1RU[/embed]

Metallica had 4 good albums: Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for All. Still among the greatest Metal albums produced. After that, Metallica kinda just fell apart. Death Magnetic was a good attempt but it's nowhere near the awesomeness of the original 4 albums, back when Metallica was more THRASH METAL, and less commercialized hard rock.

\m/ >_< \m/

2ma2

I guess I favour more technical and/or progressive exploits:

Mouth for war

Just felt a sudden urge to share this awesome song :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKyzwqIT7s

Spummy

I'm not sure how many people here are going to bother to listen to this for more than a minute, because it takes it's damn time, but if I introduce one more person to this amazing Track/Album it'll be worth it.

Lots of Metal is obsessed with sounding as harsh as possible and being as fast as possible. This focuses being a grand pilgrimage of Stoner Metal.

The 63 minute and 30 second long masterpiece, Dopesmoker:

[embed=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhRNnG65ps[/embed]

And yeah, I have listened to this all the way through before, on two separate occasions.

[Cameron]

Everyone should check out Winterfylleth's new album! It is so fine, I wanna take it out to a nice meal and burn a church with it.

selmiak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMuVkS5EGyc

currently listening the whole thing and already quite liking it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk