Skumring

Started by SeamanNaranja, Fri 13/07/2012 13:51:31

Previous topic - Next topic

SeamanNaranja

>> THE GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED! <<
(click the link above to visit the Completed Games thread to download)

Eight Bit Skyline presents

The Official Website:
Skumring.eightbitskyline.com

The Story:
Port Horizon 1951. A city on the verge of collapse. Moral collapse. Crime. Corruption. Greed... Money. Private eye Cooper Chutney thought he was the exception. When a beautiful dame in distress enters his office he is ready to show that someone still cares about something in this wretched town. But as he soon will learn everything can change during a cold Port Horizon night...

SKUMRING features 30+ locations, 15+ fully voiced characters and 40+ inventory items. It will also feature a varied soundtrack, consisting of traditional jazz and original interpretations of classical music.

The Latest News:
  • 24.04 - Release date set to 28.04.13.
  • 18.03 - Because of a minor hiccup with the soundtrack and the very confusing copyright rules surrounding music in general, I have changed the soundtrack drastically. This means the game will be pushed back one or two weeks. Based on this I have set the release date to some time in april. I'm VERY much ready to get this thing released, but there are still a few big fixes before it can be done.
  • 15.02 - Integrated over 2000 lines of dialogue/monologue in the game. The last session will take place next week. Besides that there's fixing bugs from the beta testers. The game is weeks away from a launch.
  • 31.01 - Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been working steadily with fixing bugs and leading the voice recording. Yes, I have decided that the game will be fully voiced and we're already gotten a good way. There are over 1500 lines of dialogue/monologue in the game, so it will take a couple more sessions for it to be completely finished.
  • 2.11 - Betatesting is moving steadily forward. Over a 100 small nibbles have been reported and sorted out. New beta for testers soon. We've also planned some voice recording this weekend. Voices will be optional in the game, since not every one find pleasure amateur voice acting. If anyones interested send me a message.
  • 16.10 - Added a demo of the beta version! Download at the top of this post.
  • 1.10 - Quick update just to say that the game has gone into the final testing stages! Ambient music is the only thing missing right now, besides the odd bug. Hopefully the testing phase will fix the latter, while I venture into Logic Pro to do the first.
  • 27.09 - Been doing a lot of fixing lately and the game is (seemingly) nearly finished! The big area of work left is the audio department. Even though the recorded tracks for the game are ready, I'm still working on ambient music. Most of the sound effects are in, but there's still some to go there as well. Other than that the remaining parts are the following: A complete main menu, some gui fixes, final scripting (after feedback from the beta), end credits and an issue with the SayBackground code.
  • 19.09 - So the game has finally gone into beta testing! Some good friends have started the process, but if anyone is interested just send me a message! I'll be adding a trailer later this week (hopefully) so that you'll be able to see the game in action.

The Trailer:

[embed=320,240]<iframe width="320" height="240" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CboOmsBDtnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Better quality available here!
Black and white version here!

The Screenshots: (Click on them for full size)

Some animations:

Progress:
Story: 100%
Scripting: 100%
Graphics: 100%
Sound: 100%
Music: 100%
Voices: 90%

Expected release: April 2013
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

Tabata

Nice grafic style! Looking very good!   

I'll take a closer look to the posters of the working penguin oil and The Red Cherry nightclub for sure.
Even if the lady seems to be dressed very chastely - actually for this time period :wink:

I'd like to see an animation of one of the characters, too  :grin:

Please keep us updated!

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Tabata on Fri 13/07/2012 18:30:35
Nice grafic style! Looking very good!   

I'll take a closer look to the posters of the working penguin oil and The Red Cherry nightclub for sure.
Even if the lady seems to be dressed very chastely - actually for this time period :wink:

I'd like to see an animation of one of the characters, too  :grin:

Please keep us updated!

Thanks for posting :D

I know that poster probably is a little raunchy for the time, but keep in mind that this is a really bad neighborhood in a really bad city! :cool:

I have added some character animations, but that is the biggest part of the work I have left, so they aren't the most impressive! I also added a screenshot of the style of the cutscenes in the game.

Ghost

"Skumring" has a cool sound to it. What does it mean? Apart from that I second Tabby's praise, sure looks like a cool concept, and the artwork's pretty neat!

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 13/07/2012 23:31:11
"Skumring" has a cool sound to it. What does it mean? Apart from that I second Tabby's praise, sure looks like a cool concept, and the artwork's pretty neat!

Skumring (in norwegian) means the time after the sun has gone down before it gets entirely dark. The entire story of the game takes place during one night, so that's why that became the title! Oh, and thank you so much for showing an interest. :)

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: SeamanNaranja on Fri 13/07/2012 23:44:47
Quote from: Ghost on Fri 13/07/2012 23:31:11

Skumring (in norwegian) means the time after the sun has gone down before it gets entirely dark. The entire story of the game takes place during one night, so that's why that became the title! Oh, and thank you so much for showing an interest. :)

Sunset is our word for it.

Anywho looking good.

Tabata

I think that "skumring" is not meant to be the sunset itself.  (roll)

It's a term for the special light at that time (when all cats are looking gray). In german we call it “Zwielicht” and of course there is a related term about people who are/act like this (“zwielichtige Gestalten”) and that fits precisely to the story.  :grin:

-------------------

... and thanx for the cute animations  :kiss:
You are on the right track.
Go on like this and we will have soooo much fun playing that game (nod)

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Frito Master on Sat 14/07/2012 08:06:06Sunset is our word for it.

Anywho looking good.

Quote from: Tabata on Sat 14/07/2012 08:20:09

It's a term for the special light at that time (when all cats are looking gray). In german we call it “Zwielicht” and of course there is a related term about people who are/act like this (“zwielichtige Gestalten”) and that fits precisely to the story.  :grin:

Yes, this was excactly what I meant, you just explained it alot better! There is something nearly magical about that time.

Quote... and thanx for the cute animations  :kiss:

Technocrat

Quote from: Tabata on Sat 14/07/2012 08:20:09

-------------------

... and thanx for the cute animations  :kiss:

Ah, so it'd be like "twilight", then? I think that's the word in English.

Also, in the comic, the spelling ought to be "conscious" - I like the idea though, this game looks interesting!

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Technocrat on Sat 14/07/2012 13:06:28Ah, so it'd be like "twilight", then? I think that's the word in English.

Also, in the comic, the spelling ought to be "conscious" - I like the idea though, this game looks interesting!

Yeah, I guess that's right! But there's no vampires in it! :cool:

Thanks for commenting and thanks for pointing out the spelling error too. I need some help with those!  :tongue:

EchosofNezhyt

Stupot

I like the style. This looks worth keeping an eye on.

To me Skumring sounds like the mark left around the inside of the bathtub, haha.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 15/07/2012 12:41:28
I like the style. This looks worth keeping an eye on.

To me Skumring sounds like the mark left around the inside of the bathtub, haha.

In norwegian it could also mean "foam ring", so I can understand that. :tongue:

Also, thanks for kind words!

SeamanNaranja

I have updated the first post with plenty of new screenshots and some information! I'll be working on the first trailer this weekend so that you'll get to see the game in action as well.

SeamanNaranja

The trailer is out!

[embed=640,480]<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CboOmsBDtnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Better quality available here!
Black and white version here!

Eric

That looks pretty fantastic! A high-stakes thriller with a Hergé style. Is Chutney a detective? I'll definitely be playing this one.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Eric on Fri 21/09/2012 15:28:00
That looks pretty fantastic! A high-stakes thriller with a Hergé style. Is Chutney a detective? I'll definitely be playing this one.

Thanks! It's definitely inspired by the great Herge, his comic books occupies a whole shelf in the prettiest shelf in my apartment :-) Some of the characters, like the guard from my profile picture, ended up looking suspiciously much like a bad guy from the Tintin series!

Cooper is a detective, or at least he tries to be. He hasn't had much luck with the career path though, since he's far too kind and naive for that kind of job.

Eric

That's great. I love Tintin, and all of the ligne claire style artists (I also like Tintin's spiritual brother, Freddy Lombard by Yves Chaland).

I've just looked over the Skumring website, and am excited to follow the progress of this one.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Eric on Mon 24/09/2012 04:08:46
That's great. I love Tintin, and all of the ligne claire style artists (I also like Tintin's spiritual brother, Freddy Lombard by Yves Chaland).

I've just looked over the Skumring website, and am excited to follow the progress of this one.

Wow, I think you are the first one who has seen the website, so thank you for the attention!

Btw, I just love the style of your avatar. Where did you get it? It has a certain The Last Express combined with, well, Herge, feel.

Chicky

Looks like a lot of work has gone into this SeamanNaranja! Great job with the graphics, the objects and characters fit in very nicely. Pretty website too, that banner image ties it together nicely. I wish you the best with your release!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk