Skumring

Started by SeamanNaranja, Fri 13/07/2012 13:51:31

Previous topic - Next topic

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Chicky on Wed 26/09/2012 15:03:06
Looks like a lot of work has gone into this SeamanNaranja! Great job with the graphics, the objects and characters fit in very nicely. Pretty website too, that banner image ties it together nicely. I wish you the best with your release!

Thanks a lot for the kind words :) You'll soon be able to play it.

Bumping this because of a update in the opening post.
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

SeamanNaranja

SeamanNaranja

Added a playable demo of the prologue! You can download it HERE (144 MB .RAR file/874 MB unpacked).

There appears to be a problem on some computers with the full screen mode. You can toggle full screen and windowed mode in the setup file.

Sslaxx

Not entirely sure what I did, but I appear to have triggered a bug with the game where you can't move, and any messages you see when trying to do things disappear immediately.

Game not running full-screen, either...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 20/10/2012 10:30:59
Not entirely sure what I did, but I appear to have triggered a bug with the game where you can't move, and any messages you see when trying to do things disappear immediately.

I'm not sure what is causing these problems! This is the first I've heard of problems with moving and disappearing messages. The full screen thingie is a problem on my computer as well, but I have no idea what's causing it! Some of my beta testing buddies haven't encountered problems with it, so I thought it might just be my lousy computer.

Does the first bug happen every time you run the game?

Sslaxx

Quote from: SeamanNaranja on Sat 20/10/2012 13:44:22
Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 20/10/2012 10:30:59

I'm not sure what is causing these problems! This is the first I've heard of problems with moving and disappearing messages. The full screen thingie is a problem on my computer as well, but I have no idea what's causing it! Some of my beta testing buddies haven't encountered problems with it, so I thought it might just be my lousy computer.

Does the first bug happen every time you run the game?
Going to try running it again and see if I can replicate the issue.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 20/10/2012 15:24:04
Going to try running it again and see if I can replicate the issue.

Thanks! I really really REALLY appreciate the effort  :)

Edit: I tried to rebuild the game from scratch and selected Direct 3D instead of Direct Draw. I also selected full screen as default. The game works on my computer. This appears to fix the full screen issue.

The new version of the demo is HERE.

OG

Hi SeamanNaranja,

Downloaded it, played it, completed the demo. I have to say I do see a lot of potential here, so congrats on the good job mate. I like your art style, as do I like your choice of music (even if it did get a bit nippy after a while), it provided a kind of calm ambience. Would like to see music for the intro screen too.

I have to say though, many times I felt like dragging the main character out of the screen, by the scruff, and giving him a good bitch slap... He is even more impatient than I am! What a prick! Haha, but hey, I guess that is the intention. He is a bit of a knob-end.

One thing that put me off a few times was, that while trying to beat the puzzles I found my self constantly reverting to try 'item a' with 'item b' and so forth. Just my opinion, but you would expect the first puzzle to be a little less arbitrary. That's just my opinion and hope I didn't offend you. Watch out for the typo's as well ie dont't.

I will definitely give the finished product a go.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Onker on Sat 20/10/2012 20:58:44
Hi SeamanNaranja,

Downloaded it, played it, completed the demo. I have to say I do see a lot of potential here, so congrats on the good job mate. I like your art style, as do I like your choice of music (even if it did get a bit nippy after a while), it provided a kind of calm ambience. Would like to see music for the intro screen too.

I have to say though, many times I felt like dragging the main character out of the screen, by the scruff, and giving him a good bitch slap... He is even more impatient than I am! What a prick! Haha, but hey, I guess that is the intention. He is a bit of a knob-end.

One thing that put me off a few times was, that while trying to beat the puzzles I found my self constantly reverting to try 'item a' with 'item b' and so forth. Just my opinion, but you would expect the first puzzle to be a little less arbitrary. That's just my opinion and hope I didn't offend you. Watch out for the typo's as well ie dont't.

I will definitely give the finished product a go.

Hi Onker! Thanks for trying the game!

I have to say, I basically agree with everything you said. Cooper is a bit irritating, but the intention was to make him like that, much like Nicholson in Chinatown and Bogart in The Maltese Falcon. There's a fine line between nonchalant and irritating though!

I'm going to make the first puzzles easier, especially the one with the bottle. And I'm removing a hotspot or two on the first location as well. The puzzles later in the game are easier, and I realize that it might put people off as it is now. When it comes to typos, I need a lot of help!

And I'm not offended at all. I'm so happy you thought it had potential, and I'm so happy you played it. You really made my day! :)

OG

In hindsight, I think maybe I was a bit too hard on the guy (main char). He's a bit of alright, I don't think we could share a pint of lager, but still.

Whatever you do - don't make the game easy! I like a challenge, indeed. I just thought I should tell you that about the first puzzle. I think what most people expect, these days, expect a subtle introduction to a game and it's mechanics (Broken sword 2 aside ofcourse), before it really gets to the real nitty gritty. Especially when it the first game of, potentially, many. I hope many!

P.s - if you need more testers/typo nazis' I'd be glad to help!

Best of luck.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Onker on Sun 21/10/2012 02:47:42
In hindsight, I think maybe I was a bit too hard on the guy (main char). He's a bit of alright, I don't think we could share a pint of lager, but still.

Whatever you do - don't make the game easy! I like a challenge, indeed. I just thought I should tell you that about the first puzzle. I think what most people expect, these days, expect a subtle introduction to a game and it's mechanics (Broken sword 2 aside ofcourse), before it really gets to the real nitty gritty. Especially when it the first game of, potentially, many. I hope many!

P.s - if you need more testers/typo nazis' I'd be glad to help!

Best of luck.

I always need more testers and definitely typo nazis'! None of the testers has english as their native language. I'll PM you the link for the latest beta - after I've fixed some stuff.

Shadow1000

Finished the demo (I think? I got to a screen that says Act 1).

This game is very, very polished and thoroughly enjoyable. Puzzles are just right and environment is superb. Looking forward to more...

SHADOW

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 22/10/2012 02:36:44
Finished the demo (I think? I got to a screen that says Act 1).

This game is very, very polished and thoroughly enjoyable. Puzzles are just right and environment is superb. Looking forward to more...

SHADOW

If it says Act 1 you finished it. :)

Thank you for your kind words and that you played it! Hope the rest of the game lives up to the prologue as well...

Narushima

So, "sailor orange", when can we expect a release?

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Narushima on Wed 30/01/2013 19:06:11So, "sailor orange", when can we expect a release?

After you've read the Forum Rules.
Even though this has, now, been unlocked... please do read the forum rules to prevent this from happening again.

SeamanNaranja - if/when you're ready to update this thread yourself let me know and I'll unlock it straight away.
PM received... update coming!

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Narushima on Wed 30/01/2013 19:06:11
So, "sailor orange", when can we expect a release?

Somewhere between late february or early march. Updating the first post now with new information! The only thing left is wrapping up voice recording and the last testing phase!

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 31/01/2013 15:26:23
After you've read the Forum Rules.
Even though this has, now, been unlocked... please do read the forum rules to prevent this from happening again.

I'm sorry for the problems, it won't happen again!  :-[

SeamanNaranja

Because of a minor hiccup with the soundtrack and the very confusing copyright rules surrounding music in general, I have changed the soundtrack drastically. This means the game will be pushed back one or two weeks. Based on this I have set the release date to some time in april. I'm VERY much ready to get this thing released, but there are still a few big fixes before it can be done.

SeamanNaranja

The game is 99,99% finished. Implementing the last sounds and fixing the last bugs this weekend. The release date is sunday 28.04.13.

Armageddon

Eric

Hooray! I'm really looking forward to this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk