Free Steam keys!

Started by EchosofNezhyt, Tue 17/07/2012 07:50:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Yay!
I think I already have you as a friend on steam as well, right?

Also, I have a spare steam key for The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC if anyone hasn't already picked that up.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Peder 🚀

I have some steam keys and also some origin keys from the EA humble bundle..

Steam keys:
Dead Space GONE
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box GONE
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Medal of Honor
Mirror's Edge GONE

Origin keys:
Mirror's Edge
Battlefield 3 (Whoever wants this key is required to join up with other AGSers playing BF3 on AGSfield server now and then!! :P)

PM me for the keys ;)

Matt Frith

I suppose I should offer up my spare keys...

Dead Space (steam)
Dead Space 3 (origin)
Battlefield 3 (origin)

PM me. First come first serve

Peder 🚀

Got some more:

Origin keys:
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising

Steam keys:
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising

Stupot

Hooray! I've won 6 GOG codes to redeem 6 games from their $9.99 or under range, that's potentially $59.94 worth of game :P

I'm going to need some help deciding which games to claim, so I'm going to donate one code each to the two people whom I judge as being most helpful in aiding my decisions.  I'll probably focus on Adventure games, but feel free to suggest games from other genres.

Go!

DoorKnobHandle

These are my non-adventure game suggestions for you (sorted by whatever games came first in their listing on gog.com), a lot of these are classics that you might have already played:

Planescape: Torment Planescape is a must if you are not put off by a lot of reading/dialog in a game, it's a total classic with great atmosphere and story if you haven't played it!

Theme Hospital Do I have to say anything? Total classic. Go for it if you don't mind challenging simulation games and if you haven't played this one yet. It's got nice humor too!

The Witcher Absolutely amazing grown-up RPG. Must-play IF you have a lot of time and are partial to medieval/fantasy settings.

Freespace 2 Brilliant Space Combat Sim, excellent combat and gameplay if you're more into the action-y side of things. Don't like the graphics too much myself but if that doesn't matter to you so much...

System Shock 2 Amazingly scary first-person shooter and total classic. Pick this one up if you like horror and first-person shooters. It's another classic.

FTL: Faster Than Light Great new-ish indie game. Get this one if you enjoy rogue-like games (a combination of very hard difficulty, instant deaths and randomly generated levels) and enjoy sci-fi settings.

Blood An amazing early first-person shooter. If you like old-school shooters with plenty of violence and weapon variety, this one's for you.

Commandos 2+3 Can't say many good things about the third installment but getting both games for ~3 bucks is worth it for the wonderful Commandos 2: Men of Courage alone. A great and challenging strategy game set in WW2. Must play if you're into these kinds of games. Excellent music too - and beautiful 2d environment art.

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive Very similar to Commandos 2: Men of Courage - except it's set in the Wild West. Go for this one instead of you prefer the Wild West setting over WW2.

Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition The best deathmatch shooter out there. This game is also referred to as Unreal Tournament '99 or Classic and it was by far the best UT game made. It's full of fast-paced action and it has absolutely amazing AI so playing bots is plenty of fun as well. Add a map editor and you get the perfect first-person shooter for people that don't care much for story/single-player games and prefer competitive multiplayer gameplay.

Krush, Kill 'N Destroy A very fun real-time strategy game in the vein of the earlier Command&Conquer titles. Get this if you enjoy real-time strategy games, it's really fun!

Hitman: Codename 47 My personal favorite when it comes to the Hitman franchise. Excellent level design, great atmosphere and amazing music make this a must-play if you enjoy stealth/deception style games.

I want to emphasize that each and every single game I just suggested is a really good game. I would suggest to pick out the ones that sound like they could be up your alley, watch gameplay footage on youtube or wherever and make your decision based on that. Hope this helps.

Frodo

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 30/08/2013 23:10:32
Hooray! I've won 6 GOG codes to redeem 6 games from their $9.99 or under range, that's potentially $59.94 worth of game :P

I'm going to need some help deciding which games to claim, so I'm going to donate one code each to the two people whom I judge as being most helpful in aiding my decisions.  I'll probably focus on Adventure games, but feel free to suggest games from other genres.

Go!

You can't go wrong with the Tex Murphy games - they're CLASSICS!  Especially Under A Killing Moon, and Pandora Directive.  And with the new Tex Murphy game (Tesla Effect) coming out (hopefully) at the start of the year, what better time to play them?  :grin:

Peder 🚀

Another steam key:
Game Dev Tycoon

Babar

Stupot:
Dunno what games you have and don't have, so I might go over the number you need. You've probably played a number of these, so some of these descriptions might sound condescending to you, but when I use the expression "great story", which is something I focused on mostly for this list, I don't mean it lightly. If you're sticking to adventure games, I'd recommend:

• The Longest Journey: Great game, excellent story, occasionally silly puzzles. A LOT of dialogue and text (some optional, some really helps in world building, some not so much).
  • To the Moon: a bit of a shortish game (I finished it in about 4 hours), but well worth it. Was made in RPG Maker, I think, so the interface was a bit clunky for an adventure game for me, but the story pulled me in anyhow. Really sweet.
  • Quest for Glory 1-5: Even if it is for 4 and the remake of 1 (assuming you play the AGDI version of 2), I'd say it is worth it. If you don't know what QfG is :shocked:, they're really nicely done RPG-Adventure game combinations. Except 5. 5 was horrible crap :P.
  • Space Quest 1-3: I wouldn't say 2 was anything special, but 3 (especially) and the remake of 1 was excellent. Otherwise, you could go for Space Quest 4-6, which while I personally didn't care for 5 or 6, but it'd still be well worth it just for 4.
  • Planescape: Torment: Not an adventure game, but it really should've been :D. Awesome story, awesome characters, cool world, all around awesome.
  • Beyond Good & Evil: Even less of an adventure game, but I'd still very much so recommend it. Fun gameplay (some people hated that 1 stealth level, but I saw it as part of the charm), great story and atmosphere and music. One of those games I'm fanatic about now.
While not in the 9.99 range (are 5.99 instead), I'd still strongly recommend Simon the Sorcerer 1 or 2, because they're great as well- beautiful graphics, great comedy, engaging gameplay (except that infamous puzzle in 2) and great characters and dialogue (some people found Simon's teenager rudeness in 2 a bit annoying, but I say the game makes enough fun of him for that anyway := ). Make sure you don't get 3, though! Gabriel Knight 1 is also 5.99, but well worth considering- great story, great puzzles, sorta detective work.

As for less adventure gamey games, Psychonauts for great dialogue, humour, atmosphere, everything you can expect from a Tim Schafer game (including, as well, somewhat problematic platforming in some places, but I'd still say that is far outweighed by the good points).
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time also, which came out around the same time as Beyond Good & Evil, and unfortunately overshadowed it a bit, but I can't feel too angry with it, because it is a solidly awesome 3D platformer with a great time travelly mechanic that functions as an insta-save. Cute atmosphere and story as well. I can't really recommend the other parts, though.. Two Thrones and Warrior Within tried being "darker" and "edgier" but ended up being stupid (the prince going all gothy in his style, and calling characters "bitch" and other weirdly out of place cussing), and the last one (simply called "Prince of Persia") gave up the time travel mechanic and sorta got boring.
Thief 2: for the mother of all stealth games (a significant improvement on 1, otherwise I'd've recommended that), really cool solve-how-you-want levels that are enjoyable to explore and crack. Thief 3 sorta loses that non-linearity, but makes up for it with more in-depth story and atmosphere.
Fallout 2: and don't be confused, it is nothing like 3. An RPG with more strategic gameplay, more engaging characters, options and exploration.
Ultima 7: An RPG that was the pinnacle of Ultima games if you ask me, and something defining of RPGs in general. Highly interactive game world (and I'm not just talking about the people), with loads of open-ended exploration.
Another World: "Cinematic Platformer". Really pretty and smooth, atmospheric and a deservedly loved classic. Brutally hard, however, so be prepared to slog it out :grin:.
Deus Ex: Some sort of incredibly intricate stealth FPS/RPG hybrid that really emphasises the choices you make and their consequences. Multiple paths and ways to solve each mission as creatively as you like. Some people complain that its ugliness today makes it difficult to play, but mods have been released that fix that!

PS: I also have origin keys (not steam, but origin) from the recent Humble Origin Bundle if anyone cares for them.

Ghost

Quote from: Babar on Tue 03/09/2013 01:21:48
PS: I also have origin keys from the recent Humble Origin Bundle if anyone cares for them.

Dibs plz! (nod)

Babar

You want origin keys? Not steam keys to EA games, but origin keys? :D

Ghost

Ah. Greed got the better of me. Nope, consider these dibs null and void :=

Stupot

I haven't forgotten my generous offer ;-).  I was hoping for a few more responses, but I guess you all are too busy making games to be playing any new ones from GOG :-D

I'll give it a couple more days, but thanks to those who have responded so far:

@DKH - The only game I've played from your list is Theme Hospital.  I'm not really into FPS or RTS games (because I suck at them) so that rules out most of your list.  However, Planescape: Torment does look good, and it's one that I keep meaning to pick up, so I guess now is as good a time as any :-)

@Frodo - I actually own Tex Murphy 1+2 and didn't really like the first one.  I didn't like the driving about crap.  Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive do look much better though so maybe I'll grab UAKM and see if I like it.  Do you need to have played the previous games, or does it stand alone well?

@Babar - Most of the games you mention I have played/tried or I have acquired through bundles etc and not yet played.  I never did get around to playing To the Moon, although come to think of it, I'm sure I have bought it from somewhere... maybe through a bundle, or via Wadget Eye... I'll check my records and if not I might grab a copy through GOG. You also mentioned Planescape, so that is confirmed, I will definitely get that.

Any more for any more?

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 10/09/2013 20:24:01
@Frodo - I actually own Tex Murphy 1+2 and didn't really like the first one.  I didn't like the driving about crap.  Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive do look much better though so maybe I'll grab UAKM and see if I like it.  Do you need to have played the previous games, or does it stand alone well?

Starting with UAKM the series gets very very different (meaning "much better"). Tex Murphy: Overseer is actually a remake of the first Tex (the one with the driving crap), but without the driving crap and much expanded in general.

I second Planescape: Torment as a great choice if you haven't played it yet. The first Thief (though FPP) is a superb immersive experience not to be missed as well. Just get over your FPS phobias.

...Simon the Sorcerer 1, Quest for Glory 1-5, Alone in the Dark 1-3, Riven - some of my favorites

The Last Express - visually unique adventure game that also started the time rewind craze in gaming.

From lesser known adventure games: Journeyman Project 2 & 3 (excellent atmosphere and sci-fi tech, especially in 2), Bioforge -weird and slightly actiony moody techno-thriller from Origin, Realms of the Haunting (FPS elements!), Scratches - excellent indie horror game with a slow pace, but a wonderful build up towards the horror, seriousness and a very satisfying ending, Return to Mysterious Island - one of the best and most innovative adventures of last decade - with focus on survivalist and inventory management elements, Feeble Files - very funny sci-fi dystopia from Simon the Sorcerer creators and your choice no 1 if you're an adventure puzzles masochist.

And I must... since it's been just added to GOG... I have no mouth but I must scream.

Ghost

Quote from: Ascovel on Tue 10/09/2013 22:46:04
And I must... since it's been just added to GOG... I have no mouth but I must scream.

Oh! Yes, that is a good one. Very, very dark, but worth owning.

I can also only recommend you get SystemShock 2. It... well, the graphics have not aged very well, but in terms of atmosphere and replayability, it is a must have. Also not too much of a "typical frenzied FPS", more like Thief with guns.

veryweirdguy

Thanks to the latest Humble Bundle, I have spare Steam keys for FTL and Eets Munchies.

(FTL, by the way, is one of the best things ever.)

You want 'em? Tweet out (or Facebook) a link to my web cartoon or store to help me out. We'll be friends AND you'll get a game!

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 10/09/2013 23:39:51
It... well, the graphics have not aged very well, but in terms of atmosphere and replayability, it is a must have.

Oh, they've aged splendidly methinks. But replayability... it gives you a great sense of freedom of choice - that's true, but I think it's more to make you feel your decisions matter than to offer THAT worthwhile replays.

FlyingMandarine

UPDATE: Too late! To the one who got the games: have fun. :)

Not Steam-related, but I have an entire bundle to give away, the latest from Indie Royale: http://www.indieroyale.com/

There are six games, and one of them is a point'n'click adventure (The Ballads of Reemus: When the Bed Bites).

Send me a PM if interested!

Babar

I had the Showdown Effect from a humble bundle, then got another steam key as well, so if anyone wants, do tell! Taken!

Peder 🚀

I'm giving away steam keys for The Cat Lady over at the AGSA twitter account!

https://twitter.com/AGSArchives/status/410913207079825408

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk