Kathy Rain

Started by JSH, Tue 17/07/2012 23:51:32

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

This is looking quite spectacular, I'm thrilled for the game!

There must be a very busy carpenter in the world of Kathy Rain. All doors to the left look similar ;)

Surdy

Hi Krusbert!

Graphics look brilliant: very Gabriel Knight sort of way ;)
If you are interested in a free french translation then you can contact me via my e-mail.

Andail

I've seen it, but yeah, looking good! I especially like the handpainted parts. I hope you can crank up production a bit now.

cianty

Oh, beautiful! That's one heck of a cosy living room scene.
ca. 70% completed

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Ilyich

Simply excellent screenshots! And I've been wondering whether the awesome portrait on your avatar was Kathy Rain for a while now, guess I can stop wondering. Even more excited about the project now! :)

m0ds

Very potent retro goodness as far as I can tell! I'll definitely keep an eye out for your demo :)

ThreeOhFour

It looks so great that I wrote up a preview article!

Very interested to see how this game progresses.

JSH

Wow, I must say I'm almost speechless by the responses! This is a real motivational booster, thanks a ton everybody!

Daniel - There is a good reason for the dalahorse actually, stay tuned for the demo to have it explained :)

Selmiak - Nice catch with the doors! Turns out the one between the hall and the living room is not consistent and will have to be flipped in one of them. You just earned yourself a spot on the beta testers team if you want it ;)

Surdy - That's a real generous offer, I might take you up on that later on! :)

ThreeOhFour - That's just fantastic! I never thought Ben himself would be interested in my game, in these early stages no less! Now I'm truly feeling the pressure to deliver something awesome ;)

splat44

Nice graphics, It reminds of gabriel night and ben jorden game!

If you looking for beta testers, I'll be more than glad to help.

I'll done several work as tester (click on my user name and you'll see gasmes I worked with)

selmiak

Beta testing Kathy Rain? No question, count me in :)

Vince Twelve

Wow, somehow I hadn't noticed this until this weekend when I saw Ben's preview!  Wow, I had no idea the band was getting back together without me!  :D

Looks great guys!  I know the art team's solid.  Looking forward to seeing how the rest of it pans out!  No pressure, Krusbert!!!

ddq

Prettyyy... Let us know when you're looking for extra voice actors.

JSH

splat44 - I'm glad you see the resemblance to GK, the series are a big influence on the game. :)

A disclaimer about beta testing though, it's not gonna happen for a while, this game is still in the early stages after all. Same thing with VO. I'll definitely write you guys up as interested though!

Vince - Happy to see that you like it! It's quite a funny coincidence with the art team, I contacted a lot of different people about the project, Nauris and Shane just happened to be the best fit for the game. Maybe we chose them for similar reasons, given that I'm a professional programmer financing the game with my own savings much like yourself. :)

In any case, you just added to the pressure just by being Vince and giving this game some attention! ;)

Honza

Looks great! I like the old-school precision and attention to detail with which the backgrounds are drawn.

My problem is that just looking at the title character makes me want to slap her. I guess I'm done with the goth-biker-rebel archetype - I find it extremely shallow and annoying. And reading that Kathy is supposed to be "sassy" doesn't give me much reassurance... it screams "self-important immature bitch" at me :). But that's just me, I'm sure she will be well-liked by most players. Good luck with the game, it really does look awesome!

miguel

A good plot with those graphics and this game has everything right to be a top game.
Best of luck for Kathy Rain!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

JSH

Quote from: Honza on Sat 08/12/2012 15:53:36
Looks great! I like the old-school precision and attention to detail with which the backgrounds are drawn.

My problem is that just looking at the title character makes me want to slap her. I guess I'm done with the goth-biker-rebel archetype - I find it extremely shallow and annoying. And reading that Kathy is supposed to be "sassy" doesn't give me much reassurance... it screams "self-important immature bitch" at me :). But that's just me, I'm sure she will be well-liked by most players. Good luck with the game, it really does look awesome!

Glad to hear you like the graphics! I'm sorry you don't believe in Kathy as a character, my intention is certainly not for her to be a one dimensional or shallow. I hope you'll give her the benefit of the doubt in the end.

miguel - Thanks!

Grim

Quote from: Honza on Sat 08/12/2012 15:53:36

It's interesting that someone would feel like this, because I find the Kathy character is the main thing that's drawn me to this game- I just fell in love with her instantly!:)

But go easy on Gabriel Knight influences- I tried playing Gabriel Knight last week for the first time ever and one thing that hit me was how boring it was! I named my son Gabriel and almost felt obliged to like that game for that reason (and the fact that it's everyone's favourite adventure game)... but I just couldn't bring myself to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should try to give it as much of its own identity as possible- with a team like this I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake! :)

JSH

Quote from: Grim on Sun 09/12/2012 04:15:50
It's interesting that someone would feel like this, because I find the Kathy character is the main thing that's drawn me to this game- I just fell in love with her instantly!:)

But go easy on Gabriel Knight influences- I tried playing Gabriel Knight last week for the first time ever and one thing that hit me was how boring it was! I named my son Gabriel and almost felt obliged to like that game for that reason (and the fact that it's everyone's favourite adventure game)... but I just couldn't bring myself to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should try to give it as much of its own identity as possible- with a team like this I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake! :)

Glad to hear the opposite about Kathy from you Grim! I just played through The Cat Lady yesterday and enjoyed it immensly, Mitzi actually reminded me in a few ways of how I envision Kathy! :) I even tried looking up her voice actress for a potential role in my game because I thought she was so great. The voice actors in The Cat Lady were superb overall imo.

I agree about GK1 being very slow paced, and many people probably remember it with those oh so convenient rose tinted glasses of nostalgia :). It's hard to deny it's a great game though, one of my favorites still, but my intention with Kathy Rain is certainly not be derivative. Kathy Rain has many influences, your own game even being one of them as I got a few cool ideas when playing!

Honza

Quote from: Krusbert on Sat 08/12/2012 23:51:47
Glad to hear you like the graphics! I'm sorry you don't believe in Kathy as a character, my intention is certainly not for her to be a one dimensional or shallow. I hope you'll give her the benefit of the doubt in the end.

miguel - Thanks!

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh. I believe Kathy herself could be likeable as a game character, it's just that in reality, people with her characteristics are often unbearable :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk