Kathy Rain

Started by JSH, Tue 17/07/2012 23:51:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Quote from: Krusbert on Sun 09/12/2012 11:27:55

Mitzi actually reminded me in a few ways of how I envision Kathy! :) I even tried looking up her voice actress for a potential role in my game because I thought she was so great. The voice actors in The Cat Lady were superb overall imo.

Kathy Rain has many influences, your own game even being one of them as I got a few cool ideas when playing!

Hey, that's awesome, man!:) Her name's Brittany and last I heard she said she's always up for new fun experiences like this (and apparently she's getting a new state of the art microphone for Christmas, so that'll be extremely useful too). Ask mOds if you'd like to get in touch with her. I'd love to use Mitzi's character again in one of my future projects... but for obvious reasons (to those who played TCL), I can't... so being able to see another game character in some degree inspired by her would be fantastic;)

Why don't you show us some more of Kathy Rain? You know, I'm really looking forward to this game!;)

JSH

Quote from: Grim on Sun 16/12/2012 05:13:11
Hey, that's awesome, man!:) Her name's Brittany and last I heard she said she's always up for new fun experiences like this (and apparently she's getting a new state of the art microphone for Christmas, so that'll be extremely useful too). Ask mOds if you'd like to get in touch with her. I'd love to use Mitzi's character again in one of my future projects... but for obvious reasons (to those who played TCL), I can't... so being able to see another game character in some degree inspired by her would be fantastic;)

Why don't you show us some more of Kathy Rain? You know, I'm really looking forward to this game!;)

Cool, I'll have a word with m0ds even though VO won't be something touched upon until much later. I think Brittany could be a nice fit for a wide range of different roles in the game, but I believe she would be a particularly good candidate for an important supporting character. :)

Just because you asked so nicely I've added a fourth screenshot to the original post!

JSH

Alright people, it's about time for an update. Check the original post for a quick summary :)

The game is rapidly moving forward, I made a commitment to crank up the pace after new years and a lot of things have happened in very short time. The first chapter of the game is really starting to shape up now!

We also started early with VO auditions for the two most crucial roles, Kathy herself and her roommate Eileen. If you know of any good young female voice actors, feel free to direct them to me. We have a few solid candidates already but the more the merrier!

Lastly, we have a new additions to the team, please give him a warm welcome!

Daniel Kobylarz - Composer

Stupot

Wowser.  Not sure how I've managed to miss this one up until now, but it looks and sounds delicious.  When can we expect a demo? :P

SarahLiz

Wow.  Looks like you have a stellar team working on this game, and the background artwork is amazing, really beautiful.  Reminds me of the Blackwell games.  Do you have an estimated release date? 

Excited about the storyline too--looks like you get to get in a bit of trouble whilst solving the mystery, I like it!!

Sarah 

Edit: ok, reading back in December that the game is in "early" stages, I'll quit pestering about a release date...;)  Still though, eagerly anticipating it!

Andail

Cool beans :)
Quirky characters galore!

JSH

Hi again all, sorry for being so quiet lately!

Stupot+ and SarahLiz - I'm glad you like it! Regarding release date and demo - It's gonna take a good while, I'd say late 2014, but I might have to eat those words :)

The production has slowed down a bit, mainly due to the IRL conditions for myself(switching jobs, new town), also the game is starting to reach the point where I want the whole game to be planned from beginning to end before moving any further. We're putting all our efforts now into nailing the story to 100%.

miguel

Keep it going guys! It's done when it's done!
Everything looks and sound great with your project,
best of luck to you!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

garry4all

Hey, this game looks great, the screenshots reminded me of the millennium trilogy.
Keep up the good work.

Grim

Brittany will do a great job;) Looking forward to it!;)

JSH

Hi everyone, sorry about the radio silence!

I just wanted to let you all know that the project is still very much alive and moving forward. I'm fully settled down at the new job now so I'm once again comfortable with devoting almost all of my free time to the project. I started involving more people for early testing and feedback and I've gotten a ton of good input, the game is improving by the day!

The current target is a 2014 release, but please don't bring out the torches and pitchforks if the... unfathomable happens :)

Sslaxx

What's the estimated price for this? Going to be going through vendors like Phoenix?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

JSH

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 05/10/2013 21:43:16
What's the estimated price for this? Going to be going through vendors like Phoenix?

Wow, that's a good question. The price will depend on a lot of things I'd say, like how the game will be distributed and to what extent a publisher will be involved. The business part, i.e. actually selling the game is a future headache I've only begun to scratch the surface of. Right now we're focusing purely on developing the game and making it everything it deserves to be.

At some point during next year I'll probably try to involve a business partner of some kind to deal with sales, distribution and marketing. My ambition is to get the game on steam, which I think I'll be able to pull off, I've worked in the game industry for some time now and my gut feeling is that I know some guy who knows some guy. I may be overconfident though and the game might very well get stuck in greenlight hell and then primarily distributed through other channels. I doubt there will be any physical copies, most likely digital download only.

But to get back to the pricing. If I would make a very rough educated guess based purely on things like length and production values and compare to similar games, I'd say it will probably be in line with releases from Wadjet Eye Games, most likely a standard $9.99 priced indie game, but we'll see.

And yeah, before you ask, the 2014 release estimate is assuming that distribution is handled smoothly without any major delays. I could be underestimating the work involved, it's very much possible that we'd have to push the release date. I'll keep you guys in the loop!

Frodo

What are the chances of the game being on GOG?  :smiley:

JSH

Quote from: Frodo on Sat 12/10/2013 17:10:57
What are the chances of the game being on GOG?  :smiley:

I'd say fairly high, probably higher than getting on steam as gog.com seem to have a smoother submission process. They've started to take steps lately to build good relations with indie devs to compete with greenlight. If I would take a wild guess I'd say the game will probably be released initially on a dedicated website using some kind of third party payment solution, then gog.com, and lastly steam. But of course, all of this is of course highly dependant on any potentially involved publisher, they'll want a say in how and when the game is distributed where :)

Frodo

That's great to hear.  Thanks JSH.  :smiley:

shaun9991

this looks absolute quality, best of luck
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Takyon

The background artist is a true pro.
ghost.

Darth Mandarb

Ugh!  J.H - please check the dates of threads before digging them up (and check the rules if you don't know why that is!)

JSH - let me know (PM) when you're ready to post an update and I'll unlock it!

yashination

The sprites and backgrounds are super lovely.
Check out my game Static.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk