Journey To Hell (v.1.2)

Started by Romeo, Mon 30/07/2012 09:17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

Bleeding Romeo presents a fantasy game about sorcery and the first appearance of crop circles phenomenon back in 1678 (the so called "Mowing Devil").
Here's The story: 

1678, England, south coast.
One night some strange symbols appear in the crop fields near the village of Newhell. As the population depends on his crops to survive, the damaged harvest is declared an act of Devil. Martyn van Dalem is the last member of a Dutch sorcerers dynasty and the last chance for the local peasants to defeat the evil forces, save the harvest and the entire world...

Game features:

- Artistic backgrounds
- A long game with about 50 rooms
- Day/night cycles
- A lot of puzzles
- Magic spells to control the elements (water, earth, fire and wind) and create weird cretures
- 3 arcade sub-games
- A superb classical soundtrack (including Vivaldi and Bach)
- Two different endings

Some pictures:
Town square at noon

Dialog window

Cemetery at night

DOWNLOAD HERE (English version):

https://hotfile.com/dl/168348559/d6a8fb4/JTH_-_Eng_-_v_1.2.rar.html

SCARICA DA QUI (versione in italiano):

https://hotfile.com/dl/169086864/d11167d/JTH_-_Ita_-_v_1.2.rar.html

Cheers,
Bleeding

Tabata

Yeah â€" You made it!

It has been a pleasure goin' to hell and out while testing it :grin:
Even if I am still going crazy with those arcade-parts  :tongue:

There are a lot of clever puzzles and not only those depending to the daytime can get really tricky sometimes.
But with a little persistence and searching you often should be able to find a hint in game to proceed.

Something recommended for real adventurers!
Will you make it through this hellish trip?

Only if you try  (laugh)

david

Just played a bit and I am lovin it so far, some really tricky puzzles, and pretty challenging,
one minor thing it's a shame that you have to always pick the item from the inventory to use it on anything,
will keep playing it later

Romeo

Tabata:
it's been a pleasure for me to have a really, really, really valuable help. Thanks (Also for writing "clever puzzles")...

David:
I'm glad you love this game. Thanks for posting your opinion. I hope you'll keep playing and you'll post your comments again.

Cheers,
BleedingRomeo

Shadow1000

I'm enjoying this game very much. The graphics are beautiful and in conjunction with the music really make a good atmosphere. Some of the animation is a bit weird looking and even comical (look at the bartender walking) but the environment overall is really nice. The game is moving slowly but I am making progress.

I agree that items should stay "in use" once activated. Finally, the font is very difficult to read and I have trouble making out some of the letters and words.

I'll post more if I either get stuck or finish the game and am ready to rate :)

SHADOW

Romeo

Hi Shadow1000,
I'm glad you're enjoying JTH  :smiley:
Thanks for your opinion: the atmosphere in a game is very important for me. I hope you'll finish JTH and you'll rate it (that would be great).
BRomeo

Shadow1000

Quote from: Romeo on Thu 02/08/2012 07:05:45
Hi Shadow1000,
I'm glad you're enjoying JTH  :smiley:
Thanks for your opinion: the atmosphere in a game is very important for me. I hope you'll finish JTH and you'll rate it (that would be great).
BRomeo

I think there is a glitch in the game that would make the game impossible to complete if you do something very early on in the game...it seems there's no backsies and I actually had to restart from the beginning. Do you want me to post it here using the hidden font or PM it to you?

SHADOW

Romeo

Hi shadow1000,
yes, please. Post it here using the hidden font, so other players can read it if they want.
Thanks.
BRomeo

Shadow1000

Spoiler
If you leave the house without the money, as I did initially, then approach the woman to buy seeds, she will tell you the cost and you will say that you don't have money. Then, if you go back to the house to grab the money bag, come back to her, you will be asking for mushrooms. I don't know if there's a way to get seeds if you initially didn't have money.
[close]

It's possible that there is a way but I spent a long time trying unsuccessfully.

Also, I'm stuck:
Spoiler
I just got the rope. That should give you an idea of what inventory and skills I have (I'd rather not give too many spoilers). I suppose the next step is to get the berries for the wind skill but I've just been wandering around using my inventory items and skills in different places with no progress.
[close]

Can you provide a bit of direction?

SHADOW

Romeo

Tabata told me about that "glitch" when she tested the game and I was sure I fixed it... I was.
About the point where you're stuck:
Spoiler
I think you need the lightning bud (the one hanging from the tree in Martyn's kitchen garden). If you have the rope it means that you have the earthquake power, so you can shake the tree with earthquake to make the bud fall down. Remember also that is important to talk to all the characters you meet. If you know that you need to go to Venice and that there's a galleon ready to sail away maybe someone at the tavern can help you
[close]

Thanks for playing JTH
BRomeo

Shadow1000

Quote from: Romeo on Thu 02/08/2012 16:50:13
About the point where you're stuck:
Spoiler
I think you need the lightning bud (the one hanging from the tree in Martyn's kitchen garden). If you have the rope it means that you have the earthquake power, so you can shake the tree with earthquake to make the bud fall down. Remember also that is important to talk to all the characters you meet. If you know that you need to go to Venice and that there's a galleon ready to sail away maybe someone at the tavern can help you
[close]

Spoiler
nope...I got the lightning bud so that's not where I'm stuck...sorry. I'll speak to people at the tavern and see if I can progress from there. I know about Venice and I know that I need the password from the Archduke but that's about it
[close]

SHADOW

vjeepusofthenile

I dig the fantastic imagery, sort of Terry Gilliam meets Hieronymus Bosch. The style more than compensates for my having trouble getting into the logic of the game, partially because of some cosmetic/mechanical issues (like not every object having a "label" to identify it as something I can interact with).

Tabata

Hmmm â€" I'd like to give some help, but I don't understand the problem with the not labeled items/objects you told about.

When hoovering with the cursor over an item in the inventory the name of it is shown at the bottom of the screen without the need of an action.  Also you can pic the item (left-click) and move it to the eyes-symbol to get more information/a description about it.

Outside the inventory are hotspots for all the objects/characters... to interact with and the names are to be seen without doing an action (right-click to look at and left-click to use/talk). Possibly you didn't realize it appearing at the bottom of the screen?

Shadow1000

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 02/08/2012 21:49:13
Hmmm â€" I'd like to give some help, but I don't understand the problem with the not labeled items/objects you told about.

When hoovering with the cursor over an item in the inventory the name of it is shown at the bottom of the screen without the need of an action.  Also you can pic the item (left-click) and move it to the eyes-symbol to get more information/a description about it.

Outside the inventory are hotspots for all the objects/characters... to interact with and the names are to be seen without doing an action (right-click to look at and left-click to use/talk). Possibly you didn't realize it appearing at the bottom of the screen?

I think the concern is that there are many items that you can't interact with that are hotspots with descriptions and just messages that you can't do anything. When you're playing the game, it really slows things down when you have to guess what you can interact with if there are that many red herrings.

At least that's how I understood the complaint because that's something I experience when I play.

SHADOW

vjeepusofthenile

Well the meteor for example - although that may be the only one that wasn't a case of my eyes just not looking at the right part of the screen. The black-on-black of the time text is also hard to see. Shadow1000's point is also valid. But none of that matters now that I've gotten into the groove of the game.

Tabata

Ahh â€" okay!

Just to mention it:
   There are a lot of hotspots to explore you can't really interact with (at first!),
but often it will  be of use to remember them later on in the game - when the time is right  :wink:

Romeo

Yes, there are some red herrings but the meteorite isn't one of them... I tried to give the player the chance to interact with many objects and do things he would do if he was "inside the game".
Anyway, I'm glad you like the atmosphere. Thank you vjeepusofthenile: what you wrote about Gilliam and Bosch is the best compliment I've ever received...
Cheers,

BRomeo

Shadow1000

I guess it's a question of how many red herrings are appropriate to keep some balance between reality and bogging down the player. I can't answer till I've finished the game because as Tabata says, maybe some of the hotspots are actually useable items in the game.

I'm stuck again:

Spoiler
I need to write a letter to the priest. I have the feather and paper but no idea how to get ink. I've guessed from the burnt cork or dark berries but no avail. Any hints?
[close]

SHADOW

sthomannch

Shadow1000
Spoiler

You can use the burnt oak on another inventory item
[close]
There is a thread in hints :-)

Shadow1000

Quote from: sthomannch on Fri 03/08/2012 20:53:48
Shadow1000
Spoiler