MAGS August: Finish your MAGS entry! (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/08/2012 21:48:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Ponch suggested a while ago to hold a 'vapourware amnesty', where everybody tries to complete their unfinished entries, and I'm pleased to say that that month is this month!

I know that lots of folks have worked on entries which never met the deadline because there simple wasn't enough time. Or, other people may have thought about entering, noted down ideas/made artwork, but nothing came to fruition. Those people, this is for you as well.

Hopefully this month will give people the opportunity to finish games which they would not otherwise have been motivated to do. Forget the main tenet of MAGS, you will be irrevocably banned from the internet forever if your game is completely new!

So dust off your lost MAGS game(s), and let it see the light of day!

These are the rules:

1: State which month your uncompleted entry was for.
2: The more unfinished entries you complete, the cooler you will look!
3: As usual, provide a download link and screenshot when you post your entry.
4: If this is your first night at Fight Club, you HAVE to fight.

Voting will still be held with the winner given the Best Almost-Vapourware award. (Ok, before/if anyone says voting on something like this is really flawed, because each entry was made for a different theme, people may have worked on them since... this month it's more about getting those old games finished than just winning)!

Deadline

Official deadline is 31st August, although I can give extensions aplenty (within reason) so everybody finishes their unfinished entries, otherwise the whole month would be pointless :P I.e, don't worry too much about a deadline!

Also, with risk of derailing the thread in the first post, I feel ashamed of myself for making one of those bloody Keep Calm and Carry On posters... they're just everywhere and used for irrelevant things, case in point, so the poster is actually for irony purposes ;)

Have fun everybody!

Ponch

Amnesty ahoy!

My thanks go out to Ponch for picking such an awesome theme for this month's MAGS. Truly he is a rump shakin' blessing to all the AGSers of the world.  :wink:

My game is from January. Theme: The Tavern

Cut n' pasted from the old thread:

Somewhere on the last remaining server of the mostly forgotten "Quest World Of Evercraft" game, in an empty zone, Mugg's Tavern sits in the middle of a low polygon forest, still open for business.

It's a great place for those who want to lay low for a while. Even better, it sells surprisingly cheap beer. You see, Mugg's menu still uses prices from late 1999, back when the game was still the most popular MMORPG on the webs. (The devs never got around to patching the prices. They were too busy nerfing less popular classes).

But to the surprise of everyone at the bar, a new quest is about to be offered -- the first new quest this game has seen in over a decade.

Will you be up to the challenge? Find out January August 31st!  :=

Baron

Nice looking WIP, Ponch.  You really lucked out on the theme this month.  Wait....

Ponch

I'm not sure I like the accusing glint in your monocle, Baron. (wrong)

Keep this up and you're gonna lose your spooning privileges.  :=

Radiant

Just to be clear on this: suppose I had an idea for a previous MAGS and wrote down some design notes, but never seriously got any art or coding done, can such a game still enter for this month?

Atelier

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 02/08/2012 16:10:08
Just to be clear on this: suppose I had an idea for a previous MAGS and wrote down some design notes, but never seriously got any art or coding done, can such a game still enter for this month?

Yep!

Nightfable

So, if I can't finish my 'Billy Goats Gruff' game in time, I have another chance with this month's MAGS? Super! ;-D

Ghost

On a side note, announcing MAGS on the forum page is a nice move. Can this be done every month? It's a nifty way to raise awareness I think.

And hell, I have three old MAGS folders glaring at me, I really think I'm in this time.

Atelier

So we've got Ghost and Ponch (and Radiant, or were you just wondering?) Anybody else? Never before has there been an easier topic! :P

Ponch

Two, possibly three, entries? Really? Come on, AGS Community. You can do better than this!  (roll)

Atelier

Seriously guys, </3 I know there are lots of people who could enter this month. Pretty much anything goes, even if you only thought about entering for month X. Is there any reason why there are only two takers?

Ponch

I thought this would be a sure-fire theme.  :undecided:

Radiant

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 27/08/2012 02:57:11
I thought this would be a sure-fire theme.  :undecided:

Oh it is, but I sure-fire don't have time this month. Last time we had a theme like this, I ended up picking the themes of all MAGS contests for several years, and mixing them up in one game; I wouldn't mind doing that again at some point :)

Wyz

I have two games that would have been perfect for this theme and I've been secretly wishing for a MAGS with this theme for some time. Yet, even though I had summer vacation I couldn't free any time or energy; I've been backlogged like a MF and I'm slightly less backlogged now... I'm just spewing my frustrations here a bit. :-[

Well that said, damnit! I hope there will be a new one and I'll have time then. I need to do more fun stuff need to get rid of that backlog. :P
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

ZapZap

Hey I've been silent about this but I'm finishing "Not Fine" (MAGS August 2011, Second Chance) and it'll be probably ready before the month ends
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Atelier

Awesome Cleanic!

Don't forget everybody that this month there's practically no deadline (ok, it would take the mick to go until December). So if people will have more time in September, then they can use that month too.

Ponch

So what is the official deadline here? Because if I have another few weeks, there are some little animations I want to add to a couple of my characters before posting the game.  :kiss:

OneDollar

It was a good theme, and I've been working on a game idea I had for Submerged (02/2011). Problem is it never got further than an idea, I didn't even write any code, so I've pretty much had to start from scratch. I had too much on this month though so there's no way I'm going to finish. I don't really want an extension, there's so much to do I might not make that deadline and I'd rather work at a slower pace for a bit.

ZapZap

Well, it's finished, here's the deal

Not Fine

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Games.aspx/Detail/1600

(From MAGS July 2011 theme: "Second Chance")
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk