Ben Jordan Case 8: Relics of the Past

Started by Grundislav, Wed 08/08/2012 05:03:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor Hardy

Quote from: EKM on Sun 12/08/2012 20:54:42
Wow, finally...the game I've been waiting for. I can't believe I'll be able to play this.

-bakes cookies-

Why are you baking cookies instead of playing right away?

CosmoQueen

*downloading* OMG I'm sad it's over!! What am I gonna do without Ben Jordan? :(
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

veryweirdguy

Just completed! Loved it!

Is it possible to finish and not have 100 points? I was all proud of myself for getting it all, but the more I think about it...

Gonna try and get the secret ending now I think.

EDIT: Found it, thanks to the Hints and Tips forum!

Spoiler
a little Silent Hill reference I gather?

NOW, does now following Alice change the ending significantly? I've done the kill/don't kill endings after seeing her in the cemetery, but I'm curious how else things can differ.
[close]

But yes, great work Grundi! Looking forward to whatever's next.

Stupot

Finally finished. Great final insallment! Found all 4 endings without cheating, but had to cheat for the secret ending. Grundi, is one of those endings considered the official canonical ending?

Remember folks, it's not all over yet. We still have the 2nd Ben Jordan movie to look forward to, don't we m0ds? ;-)

Calin Leafshade

It's quite obvious whic is canon:

Spoiler
woof woof woof woof woof
[close]

Grundislav

One of the reasons I included 4 endings was so each player could choose which ending they liked best. So basically, the canonical ending is whichever one you like best!

Andail

Quote from: Ascovel on Sat 11/08/2012 22:09:17
Quote from: Andail on Sat 11/08/2012 16:40:39
Quote from: Khris on Thu 09/08/2012 23:36:56
I loved to play something realistic for a change, without dozens of inventory items.

Yeah, like
Spoiler

...combining garlic with a plank, to chase away a decapitated head! Very realistc :P
[close]

That wasn't garlic, it was brambles. :P

Bwaha, sorry. I realise now I had been reading some article on vampirism just before writing that post... my silly memory.

Regnum Eternum

For some reason I can't download this game beyond 3 mb or so from the game's website. It always times out. Is there a mirror file posted anywhere I could try?

Grundislav

If you were just trying to download it now, I was re-uploading a fixed version.  Should work fine now.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Grundislav on Tue 14/08/2012 00:35:47
If you were just trying to download it now, I was re-uploading a fixed version.  Should work fine now.
Anything notable been fixed? I hadn't noticed any bugs myself.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Grundislav

Nothing super notable, just a couple of visual fixes as well as corrections to a couple of typos I thought I had fixed.
Spoiler
- The recordkeeper in the text said Ruxandra Korzha was born in 1831, but the voice says 1812, which is correct.
- The crowd noise continued on during the end credits.
- Fixed a bug where game would crash if you asked Percy questions while being attacked by the Headless Vampire.
[close]

Regnum Eternum

I've actually been trying for three days. If no one else has had this problem, it's probably on my end. But I tried downloading another file from a different site to test and it worked fine. I'm using Firefox but I'm not sure if that matters. Maybe there's a partial file of the old version somewhere that I can't find and it is keeping me from downloading the new version or something. I can't get past 2.2 MB.

Stupot

Quote from: Regnum Eternum on Tue 14/08/2012 05:53:35

I've actually been trying for three days. If no one else has had this problem, it's probably on my end. But I tried downloading another file from a different site to test and it worked fine. I'm using Firefox but I'm not sure if that matters. Maybe there's a partial file of the old version somewhere that I can't find and it is keeping me from downloading the new version or something. I can't get past 2.2 MB.

Actually I had the same problem at first, but now I can't remember how I solved it, haha.  It think it worked after closing all other applications or something like that. I'll try to remember the circumstances and report back to you if it comes to me :-)

Lesi

Best adventure game ever, also best series ever :P playing your games every few weeks, i always feel like im playing it for the first time. also playing it on my tablet. Hope you'll make some great new game soon :) Thanks again, you'r the man ^^

Cogliostro

First, in case anyone needs it, here's a mirror.

Second, the series is amazing and this game did a lot to provide closure to most of issues that had been introduced.  The mirror image of Arthur's adventure vs. Ben's was also fun both in the parallels and the contrasts.  I actually tried all of the endings and heard all of the commentary - few games are so interesting that I bother with that.  Also, I loved the action puzzles: "guy with gun at door" and the "car chase scene".

Next, a series finale is always tough.  Simply put you have to get everything right for all the fans (assuming you want to) because you don't get another chance.  If some of us think Land of the Rising Dead is lacking something, it doesn't matter because another game will be coming up.  Some of us will criticize.  Some of us will praise.  All of us have been impressed by the work put into this series.

The Ben Jordan series stuck with the fans.   It gave us something to ponder and puzzle.  Characters for us to love and hate.  We chewed up obscure riddles just to guess the name of one case.  We speculated about the traitor in the midst.  We lined up to offer our services.  Francisco took eight years to produce the series and didn't abandon it.

Thank you and congratulations.

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Grundislav

Quote from: Cogliostro on Wed 15/08/2012 04:58:28

Second, the series is amazing and this game did a lot to provide closure to most of issues that had been introduced.  The mirror image of Arthur's adventure vs. Ben's was also fun both in the parallels and the contrasts.  I actually tried all of the endings and heard all of the commentary - few games are so interesting that I bother with that.  Also, I loved the action puzzles: "guy with gun at door" and the "car chase scene".

Next, a series finale is always tough.  Simply put you have to get everything right for all the fans (assuming you want to) because you don't get another chance.  If some of us think Land of the Rising Dead is lacking something, it doesn't matter because another game will be coming up.  Some of us will criticize.  Some of us will praise.  All of us have been impressed by the work put into this series.

The Ben Jordan series stuck with the fans.   It gave us something to ponder and puzzle.  Characters for us to love and hate.  We chewed up obscure riddles just to guess the name of one case.  We speculated about the traitor in the midst.  We lined up to offer our services.  Francisco took eight years to produce the series and didn't abandon it.

Thank you and congratulations.

- Cogliostro

This is probably the most touching message I've gotten.  Thank you very much for the support and praise, and I'm glad you've gotten enjoyment out of the series.

Regnum Eternum

Quote from: Cogliostro on Wed 15/08/2012 04:58:28

Yay! Thanks so much. That's all I needed.

david

I agree with Cogliostro that you have to play the game by itself, then with the commentary to get the feeling for everything that would be said by Grundi, and finally listenig to the quest comm as well. And only after that it is a good thing to say what you thing of the game.

I am stiil at that 2. phase and only this time I am finding that this final episode has some new features, new point of view, etc..
I will comment in more depth after finishing it completely with the commentary

magintz

Really well done! Thoroughly enjoyed it. My biggest gripe was having to drop down to 16-bit on my computer and run in windowed mode just to play it. I think it's because DX9 isn't supported by the plugins possibly.

As for the game:
Spoiler

- I loved playing as Arthur and Quentin, the setting of Vampires in Romania was classic!
- I did find that maybe it sidetracked from the main plot and maybe should have been in an earlier game or as a 'mini-series' between games.
- The dialogue scene with Max seemed a bit flaky and unbelievable (yes I know we're talking about a game withe vampires and ghosts). Just to give up so easily and so near the culmination of 'the final plan'.
[close]

Someone should create a 'Pokedex' of the paranormal, like a modern Paranormal Investigator Handbook :)

Another one of those drinks, SEAMUS!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

amateurhour

I just wanted to post here to say that as someone growing up loving adventure games, I've missed them very, very much.

I just found out about AGS a few months ago and I've already created a backlog of games to play. When I saw this released, and that there were seven games beforehand, I jumped on it and downloaded them all.

I've spend the last five days chewing through them one by one and I just want to tell you it's one of the best adventure series I've ever played. I'm halfway through 8 now and I'm going to be sad that my little vacation into the life of a paranormal investigator is almost over.

Thanks for making these games.     
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk