Ben Jordan Case 8: Relics of the Past

Started by Grundislav, Wed 08/08/2012 05:03:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpLight

I can't play the game. The picture gets stuck until I leave the window and return then it updates the picture once. Usually I solve this problem by changing the driver to Direct3D, but that gives an error: "This plugin is not compatible with the Direct3D driver".

I tried to change the Compatibility to Windows XP (both Service Pack 2 & 3) and got the same results. I tried windowed and full screen, tried with a graphic filter and without.

My System:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Please help!

Grundislav

Try setting your color depth to 16 bit, that should help.

SharpLight

Quote from: Grundislav on Fri 17/08/2012 23:18:53
Try setting your color depth to 16 bit, that should help.

The window mode works now, but not full screen. Thanks.

Gilbert

Shadow1000

I finished with the 2 most obvious endings but apparently there are 4. I'm keeping my eyes out for hints on the 2 less-obvious endings.

SHADOW

Cameliosso

Hi Grundislav and thank you for game.

I had some doubts about the graphical style you used back when you first announced Case 8, but overally it make good impression in the final version and I hope for yet another great adventure  from you as I start playing, but...there is still one quite annoying technical issue. Main character dialogue sound level is significantly lower then rest of characters. I can understand why maybe the recording quality of dialogues is unbalanced (still great for a freeware game), but the sound level should be even regardless quality. Is there any chance to fix this ?

Regards.

Surdy

Hey Grundislav, how many ends in your game?

Cogliostro

Surdy,

There are four normal endings and one bonus ending.
Spoiler
The four endings are based off the possible variations on two choices made near the end of the game..  One concerns your actions at the crypt and the other is your very last action with the cardinal.
[close]

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

david

+ one very special ending (hidden ending)

Monsieur OUXX

Haha, apparently cat's face is not the only one to guest-star in the intro sequence.
Didn't I recognize Abstauber as well?

Love it!

cat

Huh? Did recognise anyone in the intro, but I thought one of the portraits looked like Matt *g*

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: cat on Sun 02/09/2012 12:26:14
Huh? Did recognise anyone in the intro, but I thought one of the portraits looked like Matt *g*

Well, that's because you were too busy thinking i was a weirdo drawing you on the train the last day, instead of looking at the actual drawing ;)

dbuske

Finished the game.  I liked it very much.
Maybe you should do another Ben Jordan game.
Maybe get funded from Indiegogo and do a commercial Ben Jordan game?
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

HammerBlade

[imgzoom]http://s13.postimage.org/6z10gw9x1/Is_THATa_Blue_Cup.png[/imgzoom] Is that a blue cup?  Why can't you interact with it!?

Crimson Wizard

I finished this. I must say I really love how the game ended (regardless of all the tragic events behind it). Somehow I thought it should end that way.
Spoiler
The Get Very Important Artifact and Make Big Boom Happen concept makes me cringe.
[close]

However, the Percy's story is something I didn't like, and felt quite dissapointed about.
Spoiler
I must admit I don't like mystics much. Spiritual powers of unknown nature and reason - that sort of thing. It felt really far-fetched.
Besides, I always tend to think of Ben Jordan series as of modern fairy tale. It had some unexplanable events (a teenager being allowed to crime scene in BJ1, etc, you all know them), but it was pretty OK for me, and to be honest, I'd prefer it stayed as it is. Trying to get more realism and explanation didn't work here well, in my opinion.
[close]

Regarding the graphics. I found the artist's work in BJ series quite bold. Not trying to match perfect lines, shades, perspective, and yet making it look consistent and overall plausible and pleasurable.
Well, okay, there's was just one moment it played a bad joke with me :).
Spoiler
When I came to the old woman's house in Romanian town for the first time, I somehow thought the the outer wall is actually the yard pavement. Perhaps because the house bottom was lined with the wall's top, and lack of lighting/shading. When Arthur Jordan dissapeared behind it, I felt dizzy (roll)
[close]

Thanks for the game.

Damned

Hi guys. I have finished all the cases except the case 8. Ben Jordan is together with John DeFoe series the best AGS stuff I have ever played.
I have just one issue with the Case 8. I am not able to save/load. I click on Save, write something next to "Save as" text. Then click "Save" button at the bottom.  The Save window will close but when I try to load the game or save another one, the list is empty and there is nothing saved.
I don't  think it is the issue with game itself, because it looks I am the only one, who has similar problem. Do you have any idea what could cause this?
Thanks!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Damned on Mon 06/10/2014 11:45:00
Hi guys. I have finished all the cases except the case 8. Ben Jordan is together with John DeFoe series the best AGS stuff I have ever played.
I have just one issue with the Case 8. I am not able to save/load. I click on Save, write something next to "Save as" text. Then click "Save" button at the bottom.  The Save window will close but when I try to load the game or save another one, the list is empty and there is nothing saved.
I don't remember which version of AGS was used to create BJ8, but your description sounds like the known problem AGS had (or still have in some circumstances) when the saves directory has non-ANSI characters in it (for example - cyrillics or asian hieroglyths).
One solution that once worked was to run the game in Win98 compatibility mode:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

Damned

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 06/10/2014 12:17:26
Quote from: Damned on Mon 06/10/2014 11:45:00
I don't remember which version of AGS was used to create BJ8, but your description sounds like the known problem AGS had (or still have in some circumstances) when the saves directory has non-ANSI characters in it (for example - cyrillics or asian hieroglyths).
One solution that once worked was to run the game in Win98 compatibility mode:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

Thank you. Win98 compatibility mode solves the issue!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk