Summerbatch - sale has ended

Started by , Sat 11/08/2012 13:57:30

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you rate Volume 1?

I'm a happy whore! (excellent)
22 (55%)
It actually floats quite well
12 (30%)
Somewhere in the middle (of a parallel universe)
4 (10%)
Should be back in jail
1 (2.5%)
Smelly poop/piss (poor)
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: Sun 09/12/2012 11:23:15

Fitz

Quote from: m0ds on Sat 18/08/2012 11:37:15Fitz - nice round up! Glad you're enjoying them :)

My pleasure! You know, I've been so busy with my little game/job/little side jobs, so focussed on becoming an accomplished 'professional' (for the lack of a better word), that I totally neglected my hobbies. Haven't played a single game, read a single book or comic, or even sat in my living room to listen to a new cd in... a year? Making it up to myself now. I missed the challenge: tapping into someone else's logic to solve a problem, getting to know a different world through going around, asking, listening and most of all, forming hypotheses and then seeing them work :) It's so different from making a game.

I'll *try* to play at least one game a week and post a review. The "To Play" list's been growing for a loooong time.

david

So I just finished playing the PatchWork

What a lovely game this is :)
amazing style you have, one of the best, for sure
and those puzzles are just alright; not easy, not hard
the toughest part for me was to find a rattling sound for the stick, :D
really highly recommended this gem
thank you for this

m0ds

Thanks david, glad you had fun! And indeed Fitz, I'm the same - I'd forgotten how good it is to actually get your teeth stuck into a game, involve yourself in the writers world and above all, understand (a little) about what's going on to the extent where you can actually progress. I played the games (and haven't finished them all yet) but not in long stints. But I found going away from a game for a bit gave me time to think over what I could do to beat that puzzle, and it worked, and that made me feel like a right old 90's adventurer ;)

To let you all know - you've helped us raise £100 for SpecialEffect, and so today I sent that to them. Many thanks!

gamerwiz

LMAO! I just played Nancy the happy whore and it was hilarious!  The graphics look almost identical to MiraMagia with a much more interesting storyline! Loved it!

Ishmael

Quote from: m0ds on Fri 17/08/2012 11:52:32
Strange, that's a version from about a week ago!

The site's being a bit quirky for me on Chrome. It seems to cache way too much, and only randomly actually loads a new page. Been stuck on the previous day's stats on several occasions, for example, and then it eventually decides to refresh the page properly when I go look at it for the nth time.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

m0ds

Thanks Ishmael. That page is updated manually by me when I have the time. Yesterday I wasn't at home at all, so didn't update it until...just now. So I'm not worried about that page particularly, but definitely the others if they're staying cached! But then, that is just cache. I can't clear that for you ;)

david

and now a little bit of PISS
well, at the beginning of the game I thought what the hell is that?
but the more I delved into the game and the atmosphere the more I liked it
What an incredible built story
Wow, Ben, the title PISS, you certainly nailed it down, it fits the atmosphere totally
I am really speechless about this game, because this is something everyone must experience on their own

One suggestions: please don't put so many lines at the beginning of the game because it can distract the player and eventually they can quit the game
and that would be a shame.

You really deserve anyone who starts to play this will finish it to the end

Ishmael

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 19/08/2012 12:36:44
Thanks Ishmael. That page is updated manually by me when I have the time. Yesterday I wasn't at home at all, so didn't update it until...just now. So I'm not worried about that page particularly, but definitely the others if they're staying cached!

Ah, alright, I didn't realise. So that explains a part of it :p But it does take a few tries for me to get the new version, noticed this a few days back when other people were looking at newer stats than me.

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

david

What a shame, I cannot run the Barely Floating game
I am not able to set the resolutions right for my PC
no winsetup.exe, just a setting for the full or windowed mode and for sound muted, nothing else
can anybody help?

Rocco

hey david, i think when your monitor doesnt support the widescreenresolution,
then you must play the game in windowed mode, and it should work.

david

no, still no hope to run it, I guess if this game is set to directX, then I must say that it will not run for me unless I am able change the mode

@Rocco
I am playing your game right now, very interesting story, I am happy that you can avoid fighting by switching to the stealth mode
I made me remember the times when I played some fight games at my friend's house on Atari, especially those close-up fights with the opponents :) Thanks for that
how many levels are there? I think I am now outside the prison, will play it later tonight

m0ds

Sorry to hear that david. AJA did discuss this during development. Perhaps this answer will help you out!

The thing is, with the custom resolution AGS, the graphics filters and some of the other settings no longer do anything, and using the DirectDraw renderer crashes the game (unsupported as well), so I decided to just simplify it so the users won't get confused when the settings don't work. So, basically any of the graphical options, except the windowed/fullscreen checkbox, are useless. I don't remember if I've ever seen reports about the default audio settings not working, but that'd be the only purpose for using the built-in setup. We'll just have to ask them to run "Barely Floating.exe --setup" in that case, I guess.

Try running "Barely Floating.exe --setup" and changing the settings. But this may still be a fairly grim situation for your PC. If this doesn't work out, can you tell us anything about your graphics card?

There's also a poll for your general anonymous feedback :)

Ishmael

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 19/08/2012 15:41:15
Try running "Barely Floating.exe --setup" and changing the settings.

As said, the settings literally do nothing. The game is in 1280x720 res and there's really no scaling that -- but it's the same renderer still, so what's the actual issue? Any modern computer should be able to handle that resolution...

david

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 19/08/2012 15:41:15
If this doesn't work out, can you tell us anything about your graphics card?

VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

I think this card is integrated, so no support of Direct3D
If the default settings are set to Direct3D I obviously am not able to run it, for sure
On my laptop, however, this certainly is possible to run it

about the poll: despite the fact of this issue I'm totally in love with this bundle  8-)
I get this Error:
There was a problem initializing graphics mode 1280*1024 (32-bit)
Problem: The requested adapter mode is not supported
Try to correct the problem, or seek help from the AGS homepage

and then possible causes:
about graphics card drives - not supported by this resolution
graphics driver - not working
graphics filter - not working

thanks

m0ds

Thanks David. There's not a lot we can do about it, AGS has out spec'd your gfx card it seems... Hope you're able to enjoy it on your laptop. Sorry about that!

AJA

Sorry to hear that, David. :sad:

I tested the game on one computer that had an S3 graphics card and it was the only computer I've tested that couldn't run the game. I hope you'll have a chance to play the game on some other computer with proper DirectX support!

Rocco

Quote from: david on Sun 19/08/2012 15:03:44
@Rocco
I am playing your game right now, very interesting story, I am happy that you can avoid fighting by switching to the stealth mode
I made me remember the times when I played some fight games at my friend's house on Atari, especially those close-up fights with the opponents :) Thanks for that
how many levels are there? I think I am now outside the prison, will play it later tonight

Thanks, David. :)
There are 3 Levels outside the prison, and after the prison the escape driving level.

T.Hi

I too am not able to play Barely Floating. I do have DirectX9, so that's not the issue; the problem seems to be that my convertible laptop/tablet - a Compaq tc4400 - does not support 1280x720. I tried changing the info via the .cfg file, but that also didn't help so I guess I'm just out of luck. And that was the game I most wanted to play.   :~(

david

Hey Guys, thanks for your replies :)

It seems that I would run the game on my Desktop due to this program...http://transgaming.com/ ; Swiftshader is just a demo version, but clearly can help anybody out to solve their problem

AJA

Quote from: T.Hi on Mon 20/08/2012 10:48:38
I too am not able to play Barely Floating. I do have DirectX9, so that's not the issue; the problem seems to be that my convertible laptop/tablet - a Compaq tc4400 - does not support 1280x720. I tried changing the info via the .cfg file, but that also didn't help so I guess I'm just out of luck. And that was the game I most wanted to play.   :~(

That's a shame. Yes, 1280x720 is required and the game won't run in any other resolution. Sorry. :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk