Barely Floating

Started by Fitz, Fri 17/08/2012 21:39:07

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyfromVA

I was doing fine until now but I'm stumped.
Spoiler
I freed the kids, filled up the leaf with water and shampoo and put it on the counter.  What now?
[close]

Fitz

Spoiler
Wait till the bantender crouches to look for something under the counter - and as soon as he does, talk to him. What'll happen is he'll
Spoiler
jump up, startled, hit his head and fall on the counter, beard-first -- and get shampoo in it.{/hide]
[close]
[close]

Xiphias

Please ignore -- how do I delete this post?  I just asked the question answered right above me. . . .

selmiak

I'm currently on the Bingo tournament but

Spoiler
The guy won't help me until he knows his kids are fine.
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
There's an extension cord on top of the speakers in the bar... I wonder what that could plug into?  ;)
[close]

frederic09

Hi everyone,

I am stuck in the game, i don't know how to :

Spoiler
find the hacker's drink
[close]

I have access :
Spoiler
to the Computer room (but i havn't the login/password yet)
[close]

I have in my inventory :

Spoiler
the gaz mask
[close]
Spoiler
Barbara
[close]
Spoiler
the 3 pills
[close]
Spoiler
the cane
[close]

Do you have any idea what i'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Frédéric.

Fitz

You need to
Spoiler
collect quite a few items and do quite a few things to get there. Firstly, you need coconuts (in the big crate on the lower deck where the coldroom, the prison cell and the German guy are) and duct tape (for the life of mine, I can't remember where that was... Igon, perhaps?). You'll need those two things to
Spoiler
give Barbara bigger boobs and... wear her. Use coconuts and the tape on Barbara, go in front of the brewery and use the costume on the door. Once there, go to the left and turn the valve, so that the leak changes direction. Now go talk to the German. He'll start following you. Run away towards the leak. If he stops following, call him again. The goal is to get him stuck between the two containers with his BACK, not his face, facing the screen. The leak is sticky will get him stuck there permanently. When that happens, grab his underpants amd go check out the funnels.
[close]
Now you are pretty close - but not quite there yet. You have to
Spoiler
go to the bar and soak the underpants in the puddle in the top left corner. Go to Igon and use them on Igon. He'll tell you what drink it is. Now, go to the brewery and find the funnel for the drink he named. Look at the pills in your pocket. One of them will get whoever takes it severely stoned. Throw it into the funnel. Go back to the bar -- and you'll see it's working. Go talk to the hacker
[close]
[close]

frederic09

thanks, but...

Spoiler
i can't use the pants on the puddle, i have to calm down the hacker a little bit.
[close]

Do you have an idea about to solve the problem ?

CaptainD

Spoiler
If you can make the hacker more popular, he will calm down a bit...  without wanting to say too much, try playing around with the jukebox a bit and see what happens...
[close]

frederic09

Wierd i was using it a lot of time, but after a lots of attempt it worked.

Thanks.

CaptainD

I think the timing is a little fiddly on that puzzle.  Glad you've got past it! :D

AndyfromVA

Stuck again.

Spoiler
I have the telescope with the captain's image burned on it, but I can't do anything with it.  Also, I think I'm supposed to use Karaoke to get the lamp from the three brothers but I tried mentioning the things they liked and disliked and they still won't let me have the lamp.
[close]

frederic09

Andy, you're on the right path. It took me 4 hours to find the logic.

Spoiler
You have to influence the brother, so he will answer the question "correctly". Reread the religion part for each brother, and adapt the answer (yes/no) in consequence next time you're doing the Karaoke ;)
[close]

Fitz

That's a tricky one indeed. Had me stuck for a while, too, and I'm not quite sure how I made it through that one. A bit of knowledge, a bit of analyzing what each said, a bit of luck, I guess. But here's what little I figured out:

Spoiler

The basics (which I guess you've figured out:

Tahwid likes black and white movies. The black and white picture is a symbol of that. He dislikes alcohol - symbolized by the hacker's glass and the bottles on the counter.
Bahwid likes fish (the swordfish over the counter) and dislikes captivity (the chain on the jukebox).
Mahwid likes the sun (spotlights or the flashlight) and dislikes monsters (the octopus).

You need to click on the items liked/disliked by the one who's answering the question. There will be 4 questions and you have to get them all right. The questions repeat in different tries, but there's always a different set. Some that I managed to figure out:

T asking M about gods - lights
B - M: middle road - black and white picture
T - B: hell - chain
B - M: hell - octopus
B - M: one god - lights
T - B: inaction - fish
M - T: no gods at all - alcohol
B - T: non-being - alcohol
M - B: inaction - chain
T - M: reincarnation - octopus
T - M: non-being - flash
M - B: one god - fish
T - B: one god - chain
B - T: hell - aclohol
T - B: non-being - fish
T - M: hell - octopus
T - M: rebirth - octopus
T - M: non-being - light
M - T: serving god - picture
B - M: no gods - light
T - B: serving god - chain
[close]

Not sure if everything in that list is absolutely correct. Some were pretty logical, but some were wild guesses that just happened to work.

AndyfromVA

Thanks, Fredric09 and Fitz.  I don't know that I ever would have been able to figure it out on my own.

CaptainD

Fitz - there is a definite logic, you just have to
Spoiler
make the brothers agree with each other
[close]
.  (Well yeah, that sounds a whole lot easier than it is in practice, but it's definitely logical not random.)

Fitz

CaptainD:

Yeah, I figured that much. It's not that I was totally oblivious as to how it works.

Spoiler
I also knew right away that the items I mentioned were a reference to the brothers' likes and dislikes. But when I first started singing, I didn't even click them, because I thought they'd be needed later -- and clicked the brothers and other people instead. But it's like with, say, the rhyming sword fights in Monkey Island (at least the 3rd one had them, can't remember the earlier ones) - you just have to try stuff a bunch of times.

On a side note - gotta love how much thought and creativity went into this!
[close]

CaptainD

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 21/08/2012 21:53:48
Spoiler
I also knew right away that the items I mentioned were a reference to the brothers' likes and dislikes. But when I first started singing, I didn't even click them, because I thought they'd be needed later -- and clicked the brothers and other people instead. But it's like with, say, the rhyming sword fights in Monkey Island (at least the 3rd one had them, can't remember the earlier ones) - you just have to try stuff a bunch of times.
On a side note - gotta love how much thought and creativity went into this!
[close]
Spoiler
I absolutely agree - loved this puzzle once I figured it out (which, unusually for me, was quite quickly!  :-D  Many puzzles in SoMI I worked out by accident though.  It was a great moment when I finally worked out how to defeat the Sword Master!

Also, sorry if it appeared that I was belittling your puzzle-solving abilities - that really was not my intention!  :-[
[close]

Frodo

I'm stuck near the end of the game.   :confused:

Spoiler
I rescued the family from the brig, and they're waiting in the lifeboat.
[close]

But
Spoiler
The lifeboat is locked in place.  I need to get back upstairs to get the key to unlock it.  But he won't go back upstairs cos of the guards, and I can't find another way up.
[close]

I have in my inventory
Spoiler
Meat hook from the meat locker, 3 pills, gas mask, Barbara, and cane.
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Maybe you can somehow get back into your cabin... that glass doesn't look all that strong...
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk