I made a launcher for the Ben Jordan games!

Started by Krimson, Tue 04/09/2012 23:47:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Krimson

Hello!

You've probably noticed that the final Ben Jordan game was released recently. To celebrate, I made plans to play through of all of the games again, only to give up because I couldn't be bothered to navigate to all of the different folders where I kept the games.

To facilitate my laziness, I created a launcher to run all of the games and setup programs from the same place. Immediately after doing this, I realised that writing the launcher actually took significantly more effort than just navigating to the folders in the first place.

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in it! I've uploaded version 1.3 here.

It still has a couple of issues right now; for instance, if you have Windows UAC turned on, the only setup program you'll be able to access will be the one for Ben Jordan 8. You'll also have to put the games in the same directory as each other, as specified in the Readme. If there's anything I've overlooked, or the program doesn't work, please let me know! I'm still a fairly new programmer, so any criticism is invaluable.

I hope it helps! :)   

Monsieur OUXX

Snarky

So as long as you install all the games in the same folder, this launcher helps you find where they are? That sounds... err... huh?

Krimson

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 05/09/2012 15:16:33
So as long as you install all the games in the same folder, this launcher helps you find where they are? That sounds... err... huh?

I probably should have worded my post better  :-[. If the launcher was designed to find the games, you're right, it would be pretty much useless! Right now, I guess the launcher is more of a 'wrapper' to allow easy access the games and setups; I thought it would be a nice alternative to having twenty short-cuts on your desktop. 

Of course, I can always add more features later on!

Crimson Wizard

Why only Ben Jordan games? Why not make a generic AGS games launcher? Shouldn't be too difficult, I think. All that's needed is to let user point at game's location and store the settings between app runs.

Quote from: Krimson on Tue 04/09/2012 23:47:46
I'm still a fairly new programmer, so any criticism is invaluable.
For starters: having folder names hard-coded is a terrible thing. I'd suggest to aim more generic behavior (as described above).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk