The Visitor 2

Started by NickyNyce, Thu 30/08/2012 21:07:02

Previous topic - Next topic

NickyNyce

They're hereeeee

STORY

After barely escaping earth in the Visitor, Agent Moss told everyone on Omega 1 how he survived (kinda). Juicing up his story to gain fame, Agent Moss told everyone how he fought off giant spiders, growling dogs, hissing cats and an army of humans by using only his bare hands and large pulsing brain.

After hearing his amazing story, Omega 1 turned him into a special agent. Now Moss and two of Omega 1's best, are sent to find a saucer that went down somewhere on earth 5 days ago. The problem is, the humans have got to them already, and they're now being held in some sort of lab/military base. Agent Moss is now thrust into this life threatening situation, and knows full well that he's a fraud. 

Wishing he was back to his old job of abducting humans from a safe distance, he must now venture off with his fellow aliens, Slug and Scar, to find these downed agents. Help these aliens complete their mission and return home safely.

Features                                                 

3 playable characters
2 switchable at almost any time
50 rooms to explore
over 160 sounds
tons of animations
640x400 resolution
16 bit hi-color
small achievement system

I would like to thank everyone around here for your help and support. A special thanks to all my testers who made this game better for everyone.

I hope you enjoy

Download here   ------>   http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1599/

CaptainD

Congrats on the release!  This looks really great.

KodiakBehr

Nicky, I know how much love went into this project -- congratulations.  This was totally worth all the effort.  I'm going to go play it right now!

"Lock and load, I say."

david

Congratulations on this, NickyNyce! I loved your first episode, so I hope I will enjoy this as well :)

is it a glitch?
at the intersection, I can only use the verb icons by right clicking, no hotspots at all, no drop-down menu, nothing, just get killed by a car, how am I supposed to look both ways before entering the road?

NickyNyce

Hey david,

I'm really glad you liked the first Visitor and I hope you enjoy part 2 also.

The part you're at is not a glitch, this will help you...
Spoiler
There are only two hotspots in the room, one is the car coming at you, the other is the hiding spot you need to get to
[close]

Jaffles

looks like a blast! will be downloading and playing later today!

Tabata

Hey - You did it!

Congratulations!

Let's go and meet some green visitors now ...   :grin:

... look closely - there is sooo much to discover   :wink:

Shadow1000

Yay...waited long enough for this! I bet it's as good or better than the first.

I'm enjoying it already. Just one comment: I would prefer if some of the common keyboard controls would be active. I'm used to using TAB for inventory and F5 for save. You may consider enabling those.

SHADOW

NickyNyce

Yes...finally I've decided to let it go, you can only hang on for so long.

Fly little bird....fly

@Shadow1000...thanks for the input, I'll look into why I disabled these again. I'm glad you're enjoying it and I hope it meets your expectations.

Shadow1000

Quote from: NickyNyce on Fri 31/08/2012 23:09:07

@Shadow1000...thanks for the input, I'll look into why I disabled these again. I'm glad you're enjoying it and I hope it meets your expectations.

So far: good, logical puzzles, smooth graphics, animation, sound and effects, LOTS of laughs and clear goals. I will review the game when I'm done (like the first game)

SHADOW

LTGiants2000

Fun so far, the backgrounds are REALLY well done IMO. How about a little hint with the below problem?

Spoiler
Just saw the doctor running tests on the other Alien agent. All I have is a bottle of pills and I've tried every combination I can think of!! I suck needing a hint so early lol
[close]

NickyNyce

@Shadow1000....you got me smiling

@LTGiants2000....I opened up a thread in the hints and tips

david

Nicky
Wow, I believe that no one will tell you this except me :)

This game has a lot of potential from the educational point of view, I mean how many real English phrases there are, a lot of slang, a bunch of idioms....you, man, you nailed it down with this, totally, I'm tellin' ya...this is one fricking damn cool game for anybody who wants to learn English :)
Great work, dude!

AnasAbdin

congrats! this is very interesting :) I love everything about it. I will never ever visit the hints and tips, I really wanna solve it all by myself :)

Shadow1000

Uh oh...found a bug:

I am Moss and I clicked on the lift (with the barrel on the top of the building) with the eye (look) and the game crashed with an error message. Try it. If you can't generate the error, I'll do it again and email it.

SHADOW

partydoc

Really cool game, with lots of humor. The puzzles were just right, fair and logical, neither too easy nor too difficult. Also liked the graphics, the switching between the characters, the music and the bonus achievemets. Reminds me a little bit of "manic mansion", but this is meant as a compliment.  8-)

Good work, NickyNyce, thanks a lot for making this game!

NickyNyce

Thank you everyone for trying the Visitor 2 and I appreciate everyones comments. I did put a ton of love into this and I'm glad that it's working out.

@Shadow1000....Thank you...I have uploaded a new version and I'm really sorry for the bug. To anyone still playing this version, have no fear, just don't LOOK at the lift when the barrel ISN'T there while you're using Moss. Don't worry you're not missing anything.

@AnasAbdin....It's certainly possible, I have faith in you!

Shadow1000

I finished the game with only 4/8 achievements. I don't understand why I didn't get the one with the toys, as I found 3 of them?

Anyway, this game is freaking unbelievable. On the short side but it's a great length to be both captivating and fun without getting drawn out. I'll give a more complete review later.

CONGRATS, NICKY!!

NickyNyce

Shadow1000 pointed out a crash, which is now fixed and the new version is uploaded. If you're using an older version from now, FEAR NOT...when you are Moss, just don't (look) at the lift that the barrel rides up when the Barrel (isn't) there. Don't worry you're not missing anything but an explanation about the lift. I'm sorry to anyone that had a crash because of this, but don't worry, you can continue the game without a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts Shadow1000, and thanks for your bug spot.

New version is now available, and I also fixed the things he mentions below

LOL...your banner is awesome, you are officially on my payroll

Shadow1000

Ok, my 2 cents on this game:

OVERVIEW:
Visitor 2 is a fitting sequel to the highly acclaimed The Visitor released almost a year ago. Visitor 2 features the same loveable, scared yet successful Agent Moss, attractive graphics, polished and fitting environment, wacky humour and clever gameplay as the first game. The biggest improvement in this game is the more captivating plot. Visitor 2 is a bit shorter than a medium-length game.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE GAME:

• The plot. The story had enough detail to constitute a clear mission and the story unfolds at a good pace as the game is played. A few unexpected twists in the plot where the action climaxes accompanied by appropriate music really is what takes the game from simply a series of clever puzzles to a different level of game
  • Very clever gameplay. Using the two main characters together without them even realizing adds a unique dimension.
  • Like the first game, the fitting graphics, sharp animation and perfect music makes a perfect environment for the game
  • Like the first game, it was humorous and entertaining (I had a LOT of good laughs)
  • The length of the game was absolutely perfect for the nature of this game. If someone releases a full-length game, they had BETTER have a sophisticated enough plot to justify all that gameplay. (If you look at my remarks on the first game, this was my issue). I would say that the ratio of gameplay to plot was masterfully executed so the game never got stale and kept the player wanting to just keep going
  • Last and certainly not least, the puzzles were EXCELLENT. As many people have commented, the level of difficulty was perfect. The puzzles were clever enough that some took some real thinking and trying yet none got to the point of frustrating. I will add that there was no point in the game where the player will say "ok, I've done everything possible. Now what?". I've never written a game but I would surmise that creating a plot and fun, solvable puzzles is the most challenging part because it's impossible to know how the audience will receive or react to the elements of the puzzle.

WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED:
My only concern with the game is something that I personally don't care for. It's not uncommon in games to have the game unfold only when a certain action is performed where there is no logical connection between the player's action and the result. There were a few places in the game where I couldn't explain HOW I triggered a certain sequence that was necessary to continue the game. One example was the place I got stuck because I didn't look at a certain hotspot. Looking at something doesn't logically trigger the next sequence. Although any player should be looking at all hotspots, some players will get unfairly stuck. There are at least 2-3 other examples.

One thing that could be polished is that the spelling could be proofread. (It's sandwich, btw) :)

BUG LIST
The crash I reported was fixed, but there are a few minor coding "status" issues that could be touched up such as (spoilers):
Spoiler
when Moss uses certain items on the barrel, it still says that he can't get the lid off even though it had been long removed
[close]
Spoiler
even once the key had been used by Scar, you get the message when looking at the post that you need a key for the elevator
[close]

CONCLUSION:
The author has really clinched it this time in the most challenging aspects of creating an excellent adventure game. The perfect environment, plot and puzzles are executed masterfully, building on the success of the first game making this gem a rare must-play. Especially for Nicky's second release.

Bravo, Nicky!

SHADOW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk