Problems Upgrading 2.72 to 3.2.1

Started by Ezekiel000, Thu 06/09/2012 17:00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezekiel000

I finally got ags 3.2.1 working on linux with wine so I tried upgrading my project from 2.72 to 3.2.1 but I ran into a problem.
When my flc animations try to play I get, "Error: Mismatched colour depths"
My game is 16bit colour and the flc are 256 but afaik that's the limit for the format.
How can I fix this?

JJS

The "mismatched color depth" error can only be thrown from the Direct3D driver (which does not support 8 bit). Have you tried switching to the software renderer?
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Ezekiel000

Ah right thanks I hadn't realised that I'd not tested it with the Software renderer.
Because when I tested the software renderer the first time, it skipped the videos. To get it to play the videos I had to move the flc files from the compiled folder to the main project folder.
But now the video files are included in the compiled exe which I don't want, is there a different way to tell ags 3 to not pack the flc in with the exe?

Also this might be a stupid question but why can't 8bit flc be displayed in the Direct3D driver by blanking the rest of the pallet?
And if it's not possible at all shouldn't the Direct3D driver be disabled for games that use 8bit only functions like the flic player?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ezekiel000 on Fri 07/09/2012 08:22:42
Also this might be a stupid question but why can't 8bit flc be displayed in the Direct3D driver by blanking the rest of the pallet?
I don't think this question is stupid, in fact that'd be interesting to know if that may be done. I am myself not a big graphics pro, but from looking at the engine source I've got a feeling that's theoretically possible.

Quote from: Ezekiel000 on Fri 07/09/2012 08:22:42
And if it's not possible at all shouldn't the Direct3D driver be disabled for games that use 8bit only functions like the flic player?
The problem here is that at the moment when the driver is being set the program has yet no idea of the game contents. Again, in theory, that would be possible, but... checking all game scripts to know if certain functions are present... hmm... If the graphics driver could be updated to draw 8-bit bitmaps it would be better, I guess.

EDIT: Also, I don't think program should crash like that anyway. AGS is very exit-happy, so to say, it loves to exit even if error could be handled.
For example is aforementioned case it could simply display an in-game message that it cannot play video file and skip it.

Ezekiel000

I
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 07/09/2012 14:00:59
The problem here is that at the moment when the driver is being set the program has yet no idea of the game contents. Again, in theory, that would be possible, but... checking all game scripts to know if certain functions are present... hmm... If the graphics driver could be updated to draw 8-bit bitmaps it would be better, I guess.

Well if getting the Direct3D driver to upscale 8bit graphics on the fly isn't possible then when compiling the game it could disable the Direct3D driver if 8bit graphics are used.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk