Looking for writer/designer for an adventure game musical

Started by Trumgottist, Fri 07/09/2012 22:16:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Trumgottist

--

Update 19-7-12:
I now have a writer, and with two days left until the audition deadline for singers/actors, it's looking good. I'm very excited!

--

Hi!

Some of you may recognise me - I've been visiting this forum now and then for the past ten years, but I'm one of those strange creatures that have opted to use another engine than AGS. (Gasp!) I have made one adventure game before, Frasse and the Peas of Kejick, and I'm now finally about to start work on a new game.

Music is a large part of my life, both professionally (I work as a teacher of various musical instruments) and in my free time, so when Deirdra Kiai got started on a game musical, I took notice. When she started a fundraising scheme, I pledged my support. And when she released a demo, I got inspired to do a musical of my own.

Obviously, when you're doing a musical, the music is important. As a musician that suits me. The singers are also important, and as I'm doing this as a project with no budget to be released for free, I can't hire pros. Because of that, I've started this project in an unusual end: I've auditioned for voice actors before I've even started on the design of the game. That way I know that I have people that are good enough singers and actors to fill the parts, and I'll be able to write the music directly for the performers. It's a slightly mad idea, but I think it can work. There are still two weeks left until the deadline for the voice actors' auditions, and I've already received ten auditions (five male and five female), most of which are good enough to listen to several times and seriously consider.

I'll be writing the music myself, as well as do the graphics and the programming. (Probably using SLUDGE - but I'll need to improve the sound capabilities of the engine first to get it capable to do what I want musically.)

I'm very excited about this project, but the part of it that I'm least excited about is the writing and design of the game. Which is what leads me to write this post. If you think that this project sounds interesting, and you might consider being a part of it as the writer/designer, please send me an e-mail and let's talk about it. My e-mail address is "info at trumgottist dot com".

There are three games I'd like you to take a look at:

• My own game Frasse, so that you get an idea of what you can expect from me. (I plan to do better, but I'm still proud of Frasse.)
  • Deirdra Kiai's Pamplemousse Demo, because that's my inspiration regarding how to make an adventure game musical work. (I have ideas for making the music less repetitive.)
  • Emily Short's Best of Three, because I expect a musical to be a lot about interacting with the characters in the game, and this game is a good example in that area.

I expect you to have some game design experience (I have it, and I'm looking for someone who does it better than me), or you'd better have a really good pitch if you're going to get me interested.

The writer/designer of the project will obviously have a say in the casting too, both regarding the size of the cast and when deciding which people to pick.

I'm really excited about this project, and I will make it happen. If I can't find a writer to work with, I'll write it myself, but it would be cool to hear from you. If you have any questions, please do ask. Either in this thread or by e-mail.

Regards,

Rikard Peterson

--

Edit: One more thing you may want to look at (or listen to) is the half-finished song I used for the audition of the cast, called "A Matter of Time". It may be used for inspiration. Here it is: Sheet music and Simple mp3. The audio version is deliberately simple and stiff because I want the singers to show their own stuff, and not copy my version of the song. (There are some chord choices there that I regret too. The backing track was literally made in a few hours late one night.) But I like the melody.

caralimon

Hi. I've like your project for a couple of reasons: I've worked as a programmer myself and I'm a music student at conservatory. I'm also working as a music teacher, and I really like to write. I have no experience designing games, but I think I could be of some help. Also, my native language is spanish, so I could help you translating the game if you want.

Trumgottist

Hi! I'm glad you like my project, but I'm not looking for a musician or programmer. I have those parts covered myself, and if I should translate it or not is a question for later. (I'm not going to think about that until it's at least in beta.)

I am looking for a writer. That you have no design experience doesn't make me very interested. As Erik Wolpaw stated in a recent interview:
QuoteAgain, part of that’s because everyone can kind of write. It’s hard to judge whether this person’s going to do a good job writing your game. Again, with the physics system, there’s at least some bar you can test them with, to see if they’re going to get close. But with writing, everyone can write. Unless they have a track record of doing it, [there's no point of reference].
But you're very welcome to try and convince me that you can do the job and do it well. Send me an e-mail, and we can talk about it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk