The most F*****d up movie you've ever seen?

Started by Mouth for war, Fri 14/09/2012 19:43:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Yeah I need some tips people...I'm a hardcore horror fan, but nothing bothers me anymore...Just had a few beers and watched Traces of death...again...(although not a horror but still pretty sick) and felt nothing. I need something really sickening people!!!! :D haha
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

EKM

No idea.

Try a movie called "A Serbian Film."

Mouth for war

Yeah that's also a pretty messed up movie!

Eric

Gore without some kind of psychological or emotional element is pointless to me, no different than seeing Wyle E. Coyote flattened by a rock. I am more haunted, and for much longer, by films that evoke feelings of despair, emotional pain, and misery. For instance, Come and See (1985) is a much more "f****d up" movie than anything that Eli Roth could possibly imagine.

Mouth for war

Yeah well...Eli Roth sucks pretty hard hehe! I like "fakeomentary" films like Paranormal Activity also...but that's because of my own unexplainable experiences I've had in my life!

Eric

Other recent standouts include Dogtooth, and Taxidermia, which was recently brought up in the guess-the-screenshot thread. You might want to check those out if you haven't seen them.

Domino

The Human Centipede and The Human Centipede 2. Enjoy.

Calin Leafshade

Grim

Brain. Dead.

Most f***** up film ever, and it's made by Peter Jackson, too!!!:)

Armageddon

Eric

If you liked the movie version of The Road, you should read the book by Cormac McCarthy. And if you want truly "f****d up," read his Blood Meridian.

Ponch

Son of the Mask. I could not sleep for weeks afterward.

Eric

You're the second person this week to mention Son of the Mask, and so I've been Baader-Meinhof'd again.

an Urpney

If you want something messed up - try Salo or 120 days of Sodom loosely based on Marquis de Sade's novel.
If you want interesting take on horror and mythology - try first two Hellraiser movies.
If you want hard gore, try: Guinea Pig series (espetially one with a mermaid - that's the third one if memory serves), Cannibal Ferox or Cannibal Holocaust.
If you want something classic - you can try Freaks.
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

Chicky

Confessions is good, also Marebito and Dreamhome. The first death scene in Dreamhome is a bit tasteless, it was too much for me but you may enjoy it Mouth for war. Shamefully i quite liked A Serbian Film, not for the content but the artsy camera work and the terribly uncomfortable atmosphere. I won't watch it again in a hurry.

an Urpney

Quote from: Chook on Wed 19/09/2012 00:23:27
Shamefully i quite liked A Serbian Film, not for the content but the artsy camera work and the terribly uncomfortable atmosphere. I won't watch it again in a hurry.

Funny you mention this one, as I found it completly unatmospheric and boring. Rubber doll at the end made me laugh and I don't think that was its intention. Just another medicore shocker.
An Urpney.

Mouth for war

Thanks guys! I've already got a lot of the films mentioned here but there was a few I'm gonna look in to :D

Dualnames

I've seen all of those movies suggested, and they hold no handle to the following director and movie.

ALEXANDER JODOROWFSKY'S

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8oaeHsnc[/embed]

He makes David Lynch's films seem like teenage comedies. Trust me, you've seen nothing like it. Watch the trailer. It'll convince you.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ilyich

Dualnames, I was just thinking about suggesting The Holy Mountain and Alejandro Jodorowsky's work in general! Not only is it weird as hell, it is also absolutely brilliant, which is a rare combination. Oh, well, since I'm too late to suggest that, I'll have to think of something else...

Okay, here we go - Love Exposure by a strange japanese director Shion Sono. It's not exactly a shocker, but it's a bizarre and magnificent 4-hour long tour de force about faith, love, martial arts and panty shots. For a more gruesome and disturbing affair you can also watch his Suicide club, altough it's not nearly as good.

Also, while we're still on the subject of weird Japan - Takashi Miike. Odishon and Ichi the Killer would be my main choices, but there's a lot of nutty stuff in this man's collection.

Peter Greenaway is another good candidate if you're in a mood for an intensely intelligent art-house kind of disturbing. My pick would be Zed and Two Noughts - it has some of the most memorable scenes in film history, in my opinion, and is generally quite unforgettable, despite being quite a mess. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover is also a classic.

an Urpney

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 19/09/2012 19:28:16
I've seen all of those movies suggested, and they hold no handle to the following director and movie.

ALEXANDER JODOROWFSKY'S

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

He makes David Lynch's films seem like teenage comedies. Trust me, you've seen nothing like it. Watch the trailer. It'll convince you.

Never understood what the monkey means.
Excellent piece of cinematography, but you need to be in the right mood.
An Urpney.

Paper Carnival

Tetsuo: The Iron Man
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROMTzJsfOI[/embed]

You're welcome. There are also two sequels.

Tamanegi

Now that someone has mentioned "Suizide Club", I must throw Uzumaki into the mix. I didn't really enjoy it, but it can compete in weirdness.
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

cat

Yeah, Uzumaki is great. It's very weird, although I've heard that the comic is much better than the movie.

gaarias

A serbian film.

Slaughterhouse vomit dolls is also fucked up but kinda boring.

Calvaire (Fabrice du Welz) has a creepy atmosphere.

an Urpney

If anybody's up for pure gore, Bloodsucking Freaks from Troma might do.
An Urpney.

Armageddon

Battle Royale was awesome, pretty messed up though.

EchosofNezhyt

ALEXANDER JODOROWFSKY'S

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

I watched the trailor with the sound muted and laughed a few times... No idea what this is about.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Frito Master on Thu 27/09/2012 07:07:09
I watched the trailor with the sound muted and laughed a few times... No idea what this is about.
From what I saw, I'd have to say even the writer/director had no idea what it was about.

Matagot

Holy Mountain looks like my kind of film!!!!!

I really love watching unusual films - I'll check out Holy Mountain  :grin:

Salo: or 120 days of Sodom is a fantastic film. Very disturbing and one of the few films that manage to make me almost puke (especially the scene where they all dine on excretement).

A Serbian Film is definitely one of the most f$%&ed up films ever.

One film I'll add is Anti Christ. The soundtrack is one of the most creepiest I've ever heard and some of the scenes (especially the genital mutilation) is quite shocking.

I'll also add Eraserhead, which is my fave film ever!!!! I watched that when I was very young and it traumatised me for days.

The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb is another favourite f£$%ked up film of mine.

Dualnames

I thought Eraserhead was weird, then I stumbled upon Holy Mountain. Made it look like a romantic comedy/drama.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Matagot

Quote from: Grim on Fri 14/09/2012 22:58:04
Brain. Dead.

Braindead is absolutely awesome!!!!
So is Bad Taste.

(laugh)

selmiak

hmmm, it's getting gorier here, what about tokyo gore police? Weird stuff and lots of gore with a better (and still really fucked up) story than most other gore flicks (besides the two peter jackson movies).

and also everything gaspar noe did is really intense and fucked up :D

Blackthorne

The Hottie and the Nottie, starring Paris Hilton, is pretty fucked up.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

FrankT

Apologies for reviving the thread, first of all - is it allowed? I'm not sure... but it has taken me a few months to decide on a definite answer.

"The Legend of the Titanic". An animated movie (not to be confused with "Titanic: The Legend Goes On", that one with the rapping dog). I mean - not only is it an insult to the thousands who died on that ship, but everything about it gives me the shivers!! The art! I don't know how to describe it - it's just downright scary! And they make the claim that a terrorist gang (comprised of sharks) destroyed the ship via that frightening dog-nosed octopus! And somehow all of the characters who are killed come back to life at the end. Not to mention that graphic depiction of a dog peeing on the captain's shoes....

This film... is THE STUFF OF NIGHTMARES. I dare you to watch the Nostalgia Critic's analysis of it and tell me afterwards that you won't be able to sleep tonight!!!

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xe-3EqEF3A[/embed]

TheBitPriest

I'm thinking that since it's Rumpus Room, it's OK.  ...or at least that's going to be my excuse when someone complains that I'm jumping on the bandwagon. :-D

[rumpus on]
The Hobbit HFR.  No, seriously.  It's Peter Jackson's scariest film to date.  I almost fell into a fetal position in the lobby on the way out of the theater.  If you want to see something messed up, see the Hobbit.  If you want to cry uncontrollably, see the HFR edition.

Ok... maybe I'm exaggerating a bit...  Although it is a horror movie in the making.  If the next movie slaughters the franchise any more, an undead Tolkien is going to begin the zombie apocalypse.   Stay away from Oxfordshire.  Unless your Mouth of War...

...and looking for that sort of thing.
[rumpus off]

Cuiki

Quote from: FrankT on Fri 04/01/2013 18:27:18
I dare you to watch the Nostalgia Critic's analysis of it and tell me afterwards that you won't be able to sleep tonight!!!
Yeah, that guy's face will give me nightmares for days, not to mention his voice!

The animated movie, however... yeah, it seems awfully retarded, to such an extent that it actually becomes kinda funny. But scary? Really? :P

QuoteOk... maybe I'm exaggerating a bit...  Although it is a horror movie in the making.  If the next movie slaughters the franchise any more, an undead Tolkien is going to begin the zombie apocalypse.   Stay away from Oxfordshire.
Heh, you really think the Hobbit was that bad?  ;-D
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Anian

Quote from: TheBitPriest on Fri 04/01/2013 19:50:13
The Hobbit HFR.  No, seriously.  It's Peter Jackson's scariest film to date.  I almost fell into a fetal position in the lobby on the way out of the theater.  If you want to see something messed up, see the Hobbit.  If you want to cry uncontrollably, see the HFR edition.

Ok... maybe I'm exaggerating a bit...  Although it is a horror movie in the making.  If the next movie slaughters the franchise any more, an undead Tolkien is going to begin the zombie apocalypse.   Stay away from Oxfordshire.  Unless your Mouth of War...

...and looking for that sort of thing.
I really didn't get what the 48fps did for the picture. The 3d was still blurry when the camera was moving and motion being more fluid was really not something I noticed.
I read Hobbit before LOTR books and the illustration really gave me an image of a hobbit that's different link, the only image of a hobbit plus following a story on a map was a real experience for my young mind. First LOTR book sparked my imagination even further with a cover such as this but it's downhill from there, no real emotional connection that maybe left me violated by this movie.

They stretched the story reeeeeeally bad. Hobbit is a smaller book than any one of the LOTR books and they made it into the same format of 3 films. It's not that there's nothing going on, but there are so many parts which just follow each other without any point to the story or much cohesion between them, it's just a sequence of events and now there's two more years to see the story finished. LOTR movies (even though they're also really boring at parts) at least had a culmination and some sort of wrap up at the end of each one.

Oh, btw they still haven't really explained why a moth would summon giant hawks (it happens in the Two towers as well) and it just seems like a blatant deus ex machina which is kind of more masked in the books. And Gandalf is at one moment awesome and powerful and then weak in the next - the guy breaks a giant rock in two, blasts 50 goblins away by hitting his staff on the ground and then he runs into a tree from a pack of wolves. While I think it's cool when wizards are shown as being more wise men with a few tricks than all powerful beings, that's kind of the only thing that ticks me of (everything else was just "ok").
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ghost

The Theatre Bizzare... has its moments.

FrankT

Quote from: Cuiki on Fri 04/01/2013 20:04:21
Quote from: FrankT on Fri 04/01/2013 18:27:18
I dare you to watch the Nostalgia Critic's analysis of it and tell me afterwards that you won't be able to sleep tonight!!!
Yeah, that guy's face will give me nightmares for days, not to mention his voice!

The animated movie, however... yeah, it seems awfully retarded, to such an extent that it actually becomes kinda funny. But scary? Really? :P

Well... yes. I had nightmares from something so simple as Test Card F, you know!

Cuiki

Quote from: FrankT on Sun 06/01/2013 15:35:40
Well... yes. I had nightmares from something so simple as Test Card F, you know!
Heh yeah, that does look a lot scarier.
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

milkanannan

ALEXANDER JODOROWFSKY'S

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

Was going to recommend this too. It's not really disturbing, just extremely weird

Mouth for war

Haha i had forgotten about this thread. I'm not easily shocked or sensitive, but one movie made me feel really uncomfortable. Antichrist by Lars von Trier. The mood and the stuff that went on in that movie was really heavy

milkanannan

Lol I've got the next week off. Going to download as many items from this thread as I can. I plan to be a different person after watching that much weirdness.  (laugh)

KyriakosCH

Depends on what you mean by "disturbing". Most seem to have posted revolting or gory, eg A Serbian Film, Martyrs etc.

A very good Czech-French animation titled La Planete Sauvage sticks to mind, though. It has a decent story, but the atmosphere is nothing short than brutal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkIAkDsiUoo
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

cat

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 26/03/2019 17:35:25
A very good Czech-French animation titled La Planete Sauvage sticks to mind, though. It has a decent story, but the atmosphere is nothing short than brutal:

I've seen this movie and recommend it.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Surreal wise Holy Mountain is one of my fave movies,  if there are any fans of feel of that sort of movie I would recommend The Color of Pomegranates

Eraserhead was pretty fucked up too

KyriakosCH

The first two Hellraisers (already mentioned) are certainly the best in the series - though this is mostly because the rest are utter garbage.
They do have a few interesting moments.
I don't like Lynch, for a number of reasons. While his cinematography is very elegant, his themes are both repetitive and very particular (in most of his films the plot revolves around a physically abused female).
Inland Empire is my favorite of his movies, though once again he manages to Lynch it to the same motif more or less, albeit imo a bit more subtly that time...

Jack

Quote from: Chicky on Wed 19/09/2012 00:23:27
Shamefully i quite liked A Serbian Film, not for the content but the artsy camera work and the terribly uncomfortable atmosphere. I won't watch it again in a hurry.

Then you will probably like 13 Tzameti. It's a messed up film itself, with the same artsy feel, but doesn't try so hard to be disturbing.

Quote from: Ryan Timothy B on Fri 28/09/2012 02:09:03
[about The Holy Mountain]
From what I saw, I'd have to say even the writer/director had no idea what it was about.

True, I am pretty sure it's just a director that loosely stitched together scenes that looked good to him.

milkanannan

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 26/03/2019 19:53:55
Surreal wise Holy Mountain is one of my fave movies,  if there are any fans of feel of that sort of movie I would recommend The Color of Pomegranates

Eraserhead was pretty fucked up too

Yeah my wife and I randomly watched The Holy Mountain not even knowing what it was. By about minute 7 we were both cracking up so hard just based on how unexpected everything was. The rest of the film was one big acid trip.

TheFrighter

I think Nekromantik of Jorg Buttgereit is really disturbing.

_

Danvzare

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think a good contender is A Serbian Film.
Someone showed it to me, saying it was the most messed up film ever, and the most horrifying because of it. Personally, I laughed. I actually watched it with my sister (her boyfriend was the one who suggested it) and she actually laughed with me. So I guess I'm from a family of psychos.

I've probably watched a film that I've consider more messed up, but it's not currently coming to mind. I have watched my fair share of... weird films. And personally, weird always strikes me as being more messed up than shock horror. Because weird just makes you go "What the f*** did I just watch?"
I think portions of The Star Wars Holiday Special fulfill that criteria quite adequately. Now that film was messed up. Not as messed up as A Serbian Film though.

KyriakosCH

I tried to watch the first human centipede, but if you start your film with that scene (dogs and then the guy with german custom to use the forest as toilet) you can't seriously expect people to keep watching  :=

Blondbraid

Quote from: Jack on Tue 26/03/2019 20:43:43
True, I am pretty sure it's just a director that loosely stitched together scenes that looked good to him.
It reminds me of the rumor that when Zardos (the movie famous for having Sean Connery running around in nothing but tigh-high boots and a red diaper) was filmed the director was so high on cocaine that not even he could remember what it was about.

While I've never liked movies with lots of gore, torture and shocking/disturbing content for the sake of it, if short movies count I'd say Don't hug me. I'm scared is a good example
of using lots of surreal imagery with some gruesome horror elements to good effect and manages to be equal parts scary, thought-provoking and fun. (there are six videos in total, here's the first.)

Cassiebsg

Somehow Trainspoting comes to mind... if nothing else but for the toilet scene (most admit that it's been so long that I've seen the movie, that the only thing left in my mind is that scene  8-0 )...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

dactylopus

I love this film.  It's a huge influence on me.  And the soundtrack is fantastic!

As far as an actual fucked up movie, I recently saw one called We Need to Talk About Kevin from 2011 that was really fucked up.

Cassiebsg

Oh, I've seen that one... and yes, very scary in a non-fantasy horror way.  8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Quote from: dactylopus on Fri 29/03/2019 07:10:13
I love this film.  It's a huge influence on me.  And the soundtrack is fantastic!

As far as an actual fucked up movie, I recently saw one called We Need to Talk About Kevin from 2011 that was really fucked up.

I didn't like that movie (the Kevin one) at all ^_^

Slasher

The most horrid movie would be watching you lot in an ags film  (laugh)

KyriakosCH

Some of the so-called "Greek Weird" films are messed up. For example this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qc9stiWMk

Though i personally don't like Lanthimos.

milkanannan

I saw Requiem for a Dream in my early 20s and yeah was kind of a wrap on the day afterwards.  (laugh)

milkanannan

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 29/03/2019 11:51:20
Some of the so-called "Greek Weird" films are messed up. For example this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qc9stiWMk

Though i personally don't like Lanthimos.

Wtf did I just see  :-\

milkanannan

Hmm I unfortunately don't see any of the title in this thread on Netflix.  :sad:

Jack

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/03/2019 01:17:18
Somehow Trainspoting comes to mind... if nothing else but for the toilet scene (most admit that it's been so long that I've seen the movie, that the only thing left in my mind is that scene  8-0 )...

Not the baby crawling on the ceiling? Another heroin film, as man n fist mentioned, is Requiem for a Dream, which is even more horrorful. Trainspotting is an excellent film though and I would much rather see that.

Spoiler
"That lassie got glassed, and no cunt leaves here till we find out what cunt did it!"
[close]

For surreality, and that art house/student cinema feel, I am thinking of Pi (1998). Another film which is excellent in its own right where the surreality feels more tied to reality is Primer (2004). It is a relatively simple film in terms of production, written by an electrical engineer. Good luck keeping the plot straight as it goes on.

And this makes me think of Cube (1997). Another must-see if you haven't.

dactylopus

The Cell was pretty weird.

What Dreams May Come was trippy, but it's so sad.

josiah1221

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Swiss Army Man... It's pretty weird in a funny wtf am I watching kind of way. :)

Stupot

Quote from: josiah1221 on Sat 30/03/2019 06:10:50
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Swiss Army Man... It's pretty weird in a funny wtf am I watching kind of way. :)
I'd never heard of this until I saw the trailer about a week ago. It looks mental.

Kumpel

Oh what a classic! "Andalousian Dog"

And in terms of mindf*ck I recommend "Coherence" and "Triangle"  (laugh)

Retro Wolf

Visitor Q

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290329/

A Japanese film with incest, necrophilia, gay rape, f***ing mental.

josiah1221

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 30/03/2019 13:00:35

I also recommend them. Very, very good!!! They will definitely have your mind all f*cked up  (laugh)

Here's several other really good ones I'd recommend that mess with your head: Memento, Identity, Inception, Predestination and Shutter Island. Also A Cure for Wellness is a good weird one.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 30/03/2019 15:56:52
And straight rape is a totally normal and not f***ing mental thing to put in movies!  (roll)
Seriously though, Disney still refuses to feature an openly gay character in their films because they deem it too sexual and controversial, but this scene made it into a G-rated kids movie!

Speaking of Disney, while "Andalousian Dog" that Kumpel linked to is his most famous movie, Salvador Dali also cooperated with Walt Disney
to create Destino, a short film that basically looks like one of his surrealist paintings came to life, I highly recommend it;

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 30/03/2019 13:00:35

I saw Coherence yesterday. Nice :)
A bit similar to Primer.

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 31/03/2019 12:31:06
Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 30/03/2019 15:56:52
And straight rape is a totally normal and not f***ing mental thing to put in movies!  (roll)
Seriously though, Disney still refuses to feature an openly gay character in their films because they deem it too sexual and controversial, but this scene made it into a G-rated kids movie!

I don't know the background of it, and if you do please correct me, but having lived outside of the western world for half of my life I imagine Disney's business decisions regarding what scripts to pursue are partially waiting for the non-western world to catch up to the breakneck speed that Californian societal norms are rocketing ahead at. I mean Disney wants its brand in the Middle East, Russia, China, etc - I doubt Putin or Xijinping would be too tolerant of cartoon Adam and Steve smooching on screen?

Jack

This is true, Disney had to shrink the black storm trooper on the Chinese movie poster.

Retro Wolf

Would never dream of suggesting that were the case.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 31/03/2019 19:39:36
Would never dream of suggesting that were the case.
Don't worry, I never thought you did, but that wording made it hard not to crack that line.  (roll)

Sadly, far too many filmmakers seem to think it's the case, because while I can perfectly understand why horror movies and the kind of movies that naturally end up on lists like this one could feature it, I think it's insane that movies that aren't meant to be intentionally shocking horror movies include it. I've seen way too many otherwise lighthearted adventure movies casually include it as a peril to rescue the heroine from, default backstory for "strong female characters", or silly comedies like Get him to the Greek and Wedding Crashers have men fall victims to it as a joke, and to me that's f****ed up in a way that horror movies meant to be horror like Salo or Cannibal Holocaust can never be.
Quote from: man n fist on Sun 31/03/2019 18:10:48
I don't know the background of it, and if you do please correct me, but having lived outside of the western world for half of my life I imagine Disney's business decisions regarding what scripts to pursue are partially waiting for the non-western world to catch up to the breakneck speed that Californian societal norms are rocketing ahead at. I mean Disney wants its brand in the Middle East, Russia, China, etc - I doubt Putin or Xijinping would be too tolerant of cartoon Adam and Steve smooching on screen?
Yeah, I get why some cultures deem homosexuality unsuitable for kids, but what I don't get is why stuff like the villain trying to force himself on the heroine similar messed up things isn't. Besides, Chinese/Russian box office isn't an explanation as to why they couldn't just include one scene where a character refers to themselves as gay without anything too explicit, in fact, another non-Disney movie, ParaNorman, did exactly that in one scene, and in the Russian dub they simply changed the word "boyfriend" to "girlfriend" to get past the censors.

Whilst not having anything NSFW, I do think ParaNorman had a pretty intense scene where the hero, after being chased by hideous zombies raised by an evil witch that's been terrorizing the town, has a vision of said witch's trial, and we get to see what the witch actually looks like for the first time. (sorry for the bad video, it was the best I could find, also, spoiler warning):

The words "I was only playing" are easily the scariest words in the entire movie and the scene chilled me more than many adult horror movies!  8-0

josiah1221

Blondbraid, thanks for mentioning Destino. I'm an artist and have been a fan of Dali since my school days. Somehow I'd never seen it or even heard of it. Very well done!  (nod)

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 31/03/2019 22:24:18
Yeah, I get why some cultures deem homosexuality unsuitable for kids, but what I don't get is why stuff like the villain trying to force himself on the heroine similar messed up things isn't.

But the fact that Esmeralda defended herself and pushed the creep off is good, right? I mean, the scene doesn't present anything about his behaviour as appropriate. It would be totally different if it were Quasimodo acting this way and then they end up together at the end. In fact, many of Disney's recent princesses are presented as capable of taking care of themselves without the help of a man (right? Am I out to lunch on this observation?)

milkanannan

Quote from: Grim on Fri 14/09/2012 22:58:04
Brain. Dead.

Going to dip into this later.  ;) I remember seeing the box cover in the video store when I was a kid, but I never actually got around to seeing this movie! Thanks for the suggestion.

Blondbraid

Quote from: man n fist on Mon 01/04/2019 03:13:10
But the fact that Esmeralda defended herself and pushed the creep off is good, right? I mean, the scene doesn't present anything about his behaviour as appropriate. It would be totally different if it were Quasimodo acting this way and then they end up together at the end. In fact, many of Disney's recent princesses are presented as capable of taking care of themselves without the help of a man (right? Am I out to lunch on this observation?)
I could probably write an whole essay on why this trope is problematic, but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll try to be brief. The fact that she was able to fight him off or that the character doing the groping was a villain doesn't necessarily make that scene less scary or intense, because unlike stuff like zombies or aliens, sexual abusers exist in real life and I think I speak for a lot of women when I say that they get taught from very early on that this is a real risk they face in their everyday life, and so Frollo groping Esmeralda feels a lot scarier and hits a lot closer to home than say, Maleficent turning into a dragon to fight the prince, because even young kids knows dragons aren't real and they'll never risk being eaten by one in real life. It's really frustrating how often I've had to explain this, but sexual abuse isn't really comparable to any fictional horrors, and it's a sensitive topic that writers should approach with great care and not thoughtlessly include just for the sake of it, because even if it's a villain who does it in the story it's still traumatic to watch for a lot of people.

Now, I actually think that the Hunchback of Notre Dame handles sexual assault a lot better than a great deal of "adult" movies, but that's exactly because Esmeralda isn't able to just kick Frollo in the groin and be done with him, instead her fending him off in the church only leads to him escalating his violence and it takes the help of all her friends and community to finally stop Frollo for good, because that's how abusers work in real life. But while I as an adult can understand and appreciate the darker topics of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, it practically traumatized me as a kid, and I don't think I even fully understood the themes of sexual abuse, but I was terrified of Frollo and this scene where he hunts down and kills a woman only to try and drown her baby gave me nightmares for weeks as a kid, and I don't think this movie should ever be counted as a kid's film, I'd even go as far as saying it should have been rated PG-13 at least.
Quote from: josiah1221 on Mon 01/04/2019 02:52:20
Blondbraid, thanks for mentioning Destino. I'm an artist and have been a fan of Dali since my school days. Somehow I'd never seen it or even heard of it. Very well done!  (nod)
Thanks, I'm glad to be of help!
I'm pretty sure the eyeball in the pink elephants sequence in Dumbo was Disney's homage to The Andalusian Dog, and Dali did a lot of other weird and unexpected stuff too.
For example, did you know he designed the Chupa Chups lollipop logo? He also did a chocolate commercial, which was also really weird and funny:

milkanannan

No that's fair, Blondbraid. I guess I wasn't reading into Frollo's words as much as I suppose some might. There's obviously good reason it was upsetting to you as a kid.

Lol that second scene you posted! I've never actually seen the movie, so yeah I can see how that scene would be scary/upsetting (plus the dramatic music and clear terror on the woman's face is no help). Maybe The Hunchback has a place in this list of most F'ed up movies?  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: man n fist on Mon 01/04/2019 14:09:57
No that's fair, Blondbraid. I guess I wasn't reading into Frollo's words as much as I suppose some might. There's obviously good reason it was upsetting to you as a kid.

Lol that second scene you posted! I've never actually seen the movie, so yeah I can see how that scene would be scary/upsetting (plus the dramatic music and clear terror on the woman's face is no help). Maybe The Hunchback has a place in this list of most F'ed up movies?  (laugh)
Yeah, it's pretty obvious what Frollo's intentions are once you see the whole movie in full and he even gets a song number where he explicitly states that he will have her, or he will kill her if she refuses him,
and that's just a minor part of all the horrible things happening in the movie, because the entire story is based on a Victor Hugo novel that revolves around religious persecution, sexual abuse and bigotry.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame might not be all that gruesome or explicit in it's imagery compared to most of the other movies people here have mentioned, but it should definitively be counted as a seriously F'ed up movie in the context of being a Disney musical aimed at small children, complete with tie-in toys. Like, I legitimately had a Barbie doll looking like Esmeralda I played with as a kid that I dug up of my old toybox just now:

Like, I can't imagine anyone making tie-in toys for Schindler's list or Apocalypse Now other than as ironic collector's items for film nerds, yet Disney somehow thought that The Hunchback of Notre Dame was suitable for toddlers.

I think it's F'ed up that a movie featuring this scene was rated from age 15 and upwards;

And a movie featuring this scene was rated G, deemed fun for the whole family:

I'm not the only one seeing the dark similarity between them?  8-0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk