The most F*****d up movie you've ever seen?

Started by Mouth for war, Fri 14/09/2012 19:43:48

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 29/03/2019 11:51:20
Some of the so-called "Greek Weird" films are messed up. For example this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qc9stiWMk

Though i personally don't like Lanthimos.

Wtf did I just see  :-\

milkanannan

Hmm I unfortunately don't see any of the title in this thread on Netflix.  :sad:

Jack

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/03/2019 01:17:18
Somehow Trainspoting comes to mind... if nothing else but for the toilet scene (most admit that it's been so long that I've seen the movie, that the only thing left in my mind is that scene  8-0 )...

Not the baby crawling on the ceiling? Another heroin film, as man n fist mentioned, is Requiem for a Dream, which is even more horrorful. Trainspotting is an excellent film though and I would much rather see that.

Spoiler
"That lassie got glassed, and no cunt leaves here till we find out what cunt did it!"
[close]

For surreality, and that art house/student cinema feel, I am thinking of Pi (1998). Another film which is excellent in its own right where the surreality feels more tied to reality is Primer (2004). It is a relatively simple film in terms of production, written by an electrical engineer. Good luck keeping the plot straight as it goes on.

And this makes me think of Cube (1997). Another must-see if you haven't.

dactylopus

The Cell was pretty weird.

What Dreams May Come was trippy, but it's so sad.

josiah1221

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Swiss Army Man... It's pretty weird in a funny wtf am I watching kind of way. :)

Stupot

Quote from: josiah1221 on Sat 30/03/2019 06:10:50
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Swiss Army Man... It's pretty weird in a funny wtf am I watching kind of way. :)
I'd never heard of this until I saw the trailer about a week ago. It looks mental.

Kumpel

Oh what a classic! "Andalousian Dog"

And in terms of mindf*ck I recommend "Coherence" and "Triangle"  (laugh)

Retro Wolf

Visitor Q

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290329/

A Japanese film with incest, necrophilia, gay rape, f***ing mental.

josiah1221

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 30/03/2019 13:00:35

I also recommend them. Very, very good!!! They will definitely have your mind all f*cked up  (laugh)

Here's several other really good ones I'd recommend that mess with your head: Memento, Identity, Inception, Predestination and Shutter Island. Also A Cure for Wellness is a good weird one.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 30/03/2019 15:56:52
And straight rape is a totally normal and not f***ing mental thing to put in movies!  (roll)
Seriously though, Disney still refuses to feature an openly gay character in their films because they deem it too sexual and controversial, but this scene made it into a G-rated kids movie!

Speaking of Disney, while "Andalousian Dog" that Kumpel linked to is his most famous movie, Salvador Dali also cooperated with Walt Disney
to create Destino, a short film that basically looks like one of his surrealist paintings came to life, I highly recommend it;

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 30/03/2019 13:00:35

I saw Coherence yesterday. Nice :)
A bit similar to Primer.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 31/03/2019 12:31:06
Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 30/03/2019 15:56:52
And straight rape is a totally normal and not f***ing mental thing to put in movies!  (roll)
Seriously though, Disney still refuses to feature an openly gay character in their films because they deem it too sexual and controversial, but this scene made it into a G-rated kids movie!

I don't know the background of it, and if you do please correct me, but having lived outside of the western world for half of my life I imagine Disney's business decisions regarding what scripts to pursue are partially waiting for the non-western world to catch up to the breakneck speed that Californian societal norms are rocketing ahead at. I mean Disney wants its brand in the Middle East, Russia, China, etc - I doubt Putin or Xijinping would be too tolerant of cartoon Adam and Steve smooching on screen?

Jack

This is true, Disney had to shrink the black storm trooper on the Chinese movie poster.

Retro Wolf

Would never dream of suggesting that were the case.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 31/03/2019 19:39:36
Would never dream of suggesting that were the case.
Don't worry, I never thought you did, but that wording made it hard not to crack that line.  (roll)

Sadly, far too many filmmakers seem to think it's the case, because while I can perfectly understand why horror movies and the kind of movies that naturally end up on lists like this one could feature it, I think it's insane that movies that aren't meant to be intentionally shocking horror movies include it. I've seen way too many otherwise lighthearted adventure movies casually include it as a peril to rescue the heroine from, default backstory for "strong female characters", or silly comedies like Get him to the Greek and Wedding Crashers have men fall victims to it as a joke, and to me that's f****ed up in a way that horror movies meant to be horror like Salo or Cannibal Holocaust can never be.
Quote from: man n fist on Sun 31/03/2019 18:10:48
I don't know the background of it, and if you do please correct me, but having lived outside of the western world for half of my life I imagine Disney's business decisions regarding what scripts to pursue are partially waiting for the non-western world to catch up to the breakneck speed that Californian societal norms are rocketing ahead at. I mean Disney wants its brand in the Middle East, Russia, China, etc - I doubt Putin or Xijinping would be too tolerant of cartoon Adam and Steve smooching on screen?
Yeah, I get why some cultures deem homosexuality unsuitable for kids, but what I don't get is why stuff like the villain trying to force himself on the heroine similar messed up things isn't. Besides, Chinese/Russian box office isn't an explanation as to why they couldn't just include one scene where a character refers to themselves as gay without anything too explicit, in fact, another non-Disney movie, ParaNorman, did exactly that in one scene, and in the Russian dub they simply changed the word "boyfriend" to "girlfriend" to get past the censors.

Whilst not having anything NSFW, I do think ParaNorman had a pretty intense scene where the hero, after being chased by hideous zombies raised by an evil witch that's been terrorizing the town, has a vision of said witch's trial, and we get to see what the witch actually looks like for the first time. (sorry for the bad video, it was the best I could find, also, spoiler warning):

The words "I was only playing" are easily the scariest words in the entire movie and the scene chilled me more than many adult horror movies!  8-0

josiah1221

Blondbraid, thanks for mentioning Destino. I'm an artist and have been a fan of Dali since my school days. Somehow I'd never seen it or even heard of it. Very well done!  (nod)

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 31/03/2019 22:24:18
Yeah, I get why some cultures deem homosexuality unsuitable for kids, but what I don't get is why stuff like the villain trying to force himself on the heroine similar messed up things isn't.

But the fact that Esmeralda defended herself and pushed the creep off is good, right? I mean, the scene doesn't present anything about his behaviour as appropriate. It would be totally different if it were Quasimodo acting this way and then they end up together at the end. In fact, many of Disney's recent princesses are presented as capable of taking care of themselves without the help of a man (right? Am I out to lunch on this observation?)

milkanannan

Quote from: Grim on Fri 14/09/2012 22:58:04
Brain. Dead.

Most f***** up film ever, and it's made by Peter Jackson, too!!!:)

Going to dip into this later.  ;) I remember seeing the box cover in the video store when I was a kid, but I never actually got around to seeing this movie! Thanks for the suggestion.

Blondbraid

Quote from: man n fist on Mon 01/04/2019 03:13:10
But the fact that Esmeralda defended herself and pushed the creep off is good, right? I mean, the scene doesn't present anything about his behaviour as appropriate. It would be totally different if it were Quasimodo acting this way and then they end up together at the end. In fact, many of Disney's recent princesses are presented as capable of taking care of themselves without the help of a man (right? Am I out to lunch on this observation?)
I could probably write an whole essay on why this trope is problematic, but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll try to be brief. The fact that she was able to fight him off or that the character doing the groping was a villain doesn't necessarily make that scene less scary or intense, because unlike stuff like zombies or aliens, sexual abusers exist in real life and I think I speak for a lot of women when I say that they get taught from very early on that this is a real risk they face in their everyday life, and so Frollo groping Esmeralda feels a lot scarier and hits a lot closer to home than say, Maleficent turning into a dragon to fight the prince, because even young kids knows dragons aren't real and they'll never risk being eaten by one in real life. It's really frustrating how often I've had to explain this, but sexual abuse isn't really comparable to any fictional horrors, and it's a sensitive topic that writers should approach with great care and not thoughtlessly include just for the sake of it, because even if it's a villain who does it in the story it's still traumatic to watch for a lot of people.

Now, I actually think that the Hunchback of Notre Dame handles sexual assault a lot better than a great deal of "adult" movies, but that's exactly because Esmeralda isn't able to just kick Frollo in the groin and be done with him, instead her fending him off in the church only leads to him escalating his violence and it takes the help of all her friends and community to finally stop Frollo for good, because that's how abusers work in real life. But while I as an adult can understand and appreciate the darker topics of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, it practically traumatized me as a kid, and I don't think I even fully understood the themes of sexual abuse, but I was terrified of Frollo and this scene where he hunts down and kills a woman only to try and drown her baby gave me nightmares for weeks as a kid, and I don't think this movie should ever be counted as a kid's film, I'd even go as far as saying it should have been rated PG-13 at least.
Quote from: josiah1221 on Mon 01/04/2019 02:52:20
Blondbraid, thanks for mentioning Destino. I'm an artist and have been a fan of Dali since my school days. Somehow I'd never seen it or even heard of it. Very well done!  (nod)
Thanks, I'm glad to be of help!
I'm pretty sure the eyeball in the pink elephants sequence in Dumbo was Disney's homage to The Andalusian Dog, and Dali did a lot of other weird and unexpected stuff too.
For example, did you know he designed the Chupa Chups lollipop logo? He also did a chocolate commercial, which was also really weird and funny:

milkanannan

No that's fair, Blondbraid. I guess I wasn't reading into Frollo's words as much as I suppose some might. There's obviously good reason it was upsetting to you as a kid.

Lol that second scene you posted! I've never actually seen the movie, so yeah I can see how that scene would be scary/upsetting (plus the dramatic music and clear terror on the woman's face is no help). Maybe The Hunchback has a place in this list of most F'ed up movies?  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk