Background Blitz - Big World - 30 September to 23 October

Started by Daniel Thomas, Sun 30/09/2012 14:27:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

Theme: A big world (or a tiny you)

Make a background where the world seem much bigger in scale then the possible player character.
It can be just a kitchen that is feels really large, or it can be a living room made out of small things like matches, pens etc. A big fantasy world, or just a kitchen owned by a mouse.
Making the sprites/characters 2pixels tall wouldn't be a practical solution, so try and make sure the world feels large in scale for a normal sized sprite.

Rules: AGS compatible

Deadline: 23 October
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Misj'

Quote from: Daniel Thomas on Sun 30/09/2012 14:27:08A big world (or a tiny you)
I can work with that :)

And since this is going to be a character-based background I started with concepting a new character for this Blitz...I call him Clark.

Anian

Nice theme Danny boy. I'm away this week, but I think I can figure something out to make an entry.

EDIT: nope, can't make it, had another thing I had to finish last week and I have a certification exam on Saturday, so I'm preparing for that.

Quote from: Misj' on Sun 30/09/2012 21:16:52
And since this is going to be a character-based background I started with concepting a new character for this Blitz...I call him Clark.
And Clark is a mouse hole inspector is he?  :grin:
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Misj'

Quote from: Anian on Mon 01/10/2012 07:32:23And Clark is a mouse hole inspector is he?  :grin:
Filing clerk at city hall with a secret desire to become a pastry chef*.
But he does feel intimidated by the big big world.  :smiley:

*  back-story might change upon the development of the background image.

Misj'

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the opportunity to draw (inbetween my others tasks and projects). I do have several pages of concept-art, ideas, and rough sketches, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get a semi-finished product by tomorrow.

Daniel Thomas

Well, if you want an extension it's fine by me. :)
If it's the topic that is the problem I can run a new one. But if it's people lack time/interest I'll just wait for someone to participate?

Misj'

Quote from: Daniel Thomas on Thu 18/10/2012 17:17:21Well, if you want an extension it's fine by me. :)
If you could run it over the weekend (and I don't get any more ill) that would be great!

EDIT: I'm even gonna need a little more time. I've been hit hard with this illness, and haven't really been able to do anything within the last two days. Also, I want to see some competition!

Misj'

Backstory: Clark - a (depressed) filing-clerk at city-hall - has only one dream: to become a pastry-chef. He has a plan. A well thought out plan. He even has found the perfect place to start his shop; an small old government building. The only problem: the closing-date to put an option on it was yesterday, and he was to late to send in his request. So now he has to add his to break into the filing-room (ok, break in is a huge word considering he has a key), and get his application into the right file. If only it wasn't one in the top drawers.

click for a 1024x768 version

I wanted to create a background that was both big and claustrophobic (small man in a big big world). A badly lit filing-room was perfect for that.

I had sketched out a lot of small trinkets to put in the (messy) room, but due to time constraints and this annoying illness I wasn't able to. Still, I'm not unhappy with the end-results. There are some parts that could use some extra work, but overall it has a nice atmosphere, some fun details, and a cartoony charm...and it mostly fits within the theme.

Ps. Thanks for the extension!

Armageddon

Very nice and interesting background, can you please upload a .png version though?

Misj'

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 23/10/2012 02:04:20
Very nice and interesting background, can you please upload a .png version though?

there you go...

-- click for 1024x678 version --

Daniel Thomas

Nine one Misj! Sorry you didn't have more time to spend on it, I would have loved to see a little more if the dark objects.

So anyway, with no other participants and no one asking for extensions I declare Misj the winner.

Misj'

Quote from: Daniel Thomas on Tue 23/10/2012 17:01:17So anyway, with no other participants and no one asking for extensions I declare Misj the winner.
Wait...does that mean that one more unopposed win and I get to be immortalized in the hall of fame?

I really feel this background turned out (mostly) the way it should, so I'm actually happy to have won this one. I'll come up with a new theme in the coming days...and hopefully it'll be a little more competitive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk