Vintage vs. Retro

Started by arj0n, Wed 31/10/2012 11:17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

I often see these 2 words used for game collection
As in (for example): Vintage Games Collection or Retro Games Collection

But I wonder: what is the exact definition of Vintage and Retro?

So far I think the definitions are as something like this:
Vintage: 20 years old or older.
Retro: Something that looks like something from an older time period (but can be new as in produced in this time period).

Is that correct? Any thoughts?

DoorKnobHandle

Hm, I would say (intuitively) that retro describes a certain old-school vibe, ie. something old, no matter from which period of time really (as far as the art is concerned for example it could describe 8bit style, 16bit, just general pixel art styles etc., as far as game design is concerned it could be 2d platformers, text adventures, point'n'click adventures, top down shooters etc.) and vintage is something that has simply been USED a lot, no matter when it's from. So vintage wouldn't really make sense for obvious reasons when it comes to video games and I have to say, I've yet to encounter the word vintage as a video game related adjective!

Calin Leafshade

I think vintage refers to something's age whereas retro refers to it's style.

In english, 'retro' is a prefix that literally means "to go back". i.e retrorockets or retrograde.

So retro products are ones that attempt to "go back" but are not actually old.

That is my interpretation anyway.

Radiant

Yes. Everything that's over a certain age becomes 'vintage', whereas something is 'retro' as a deliberate design decision by the author.

gameboy

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah ^

The new mustangs and camaros just don't look retro. (My favorite cars thirdgen camaros!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk