The Burger Flipper v1.2

Started by elruffo, Sat 20/10/2012 13:15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

elruffo

Ladies and Gentlemen of the AGS Community, I am happy to present you,

DESCRIPTION:
Tom is a regular guy, trapped in an awful job. A job that he loves. He is a burger flipper! His boss hates him and there is this girl he is in love with. And something very weird is going to happen. That's pretty much it. Everything a story needs: a very short story by the way.

FEATURES:
320 x 200 Pixel Graphics
A real complete story, happy ending included
No voice acting, just the most recent text string technology
Useless dialogs
Idiotic animations
Simple pixel hunting enigmas
Lame jokes

DOWNLOAD:

You can download the game here! Or via GameJolt, where you can leave a comment as well!

Hope you like it :)

ABOUT THE GAME:
The idea for The Burger Flipper was born on February 2012: started as a project to try out AGS, nothing more than a "Hello world!" program, The Burger Flipper development evolved in a complete short-story game. If you are interested about the game development process, you can read more about it here. I am very excited: today, October 20th 2012, I am happy to present you all my very first AGS game, or, to be more precise, my first point-n-click adventure!

Useless to say that the game would be a lot uglier if it weren't for this community and its support. Thank you all!

NickyNyce

Congrats on the release of your first game elruffo. I'll check this out later after work, looks appetizing.

Shadow1000

Very cute short game (took about 15 minutes to complete)! I enjoyed the story and puzzles and had a few smiles.

Good luck at future games! Looking forward...

SHADOW

KodiakBehr

Congratulations on your first AGS game!  All in all, this game is the perfect size and scale for somebody dipping their toes in making an AGS title.  Your characters were charming, your animation style unique, your story amusing and you should be proud of what you've accomplished in a short time. 

On your next title, you might want to give consideration as to how you can improve your testing process, as you've got some bugs here and there, some clipping issues in the kitchen, an awkward inventory system and some other little glitches.

I hope you found the process enjoyable enough to get back in the saddle and dream up a new story.

Tabata

Congrats for your first release! 

Those, a bit strangely shaped figures fit well with the story and made it an entertaining little game. Even without hotspots the gameplay worked out for me.

I think, you made a nice start with just some little bugs left (like leaving through the closed kitchen-door or some missing comments â€" nothing „big“ ). There is potential for cool games and you are able to improve for sure.

I am looking forward to see more interesting games to come from you.
... and now I am in need of a burger

cat

Congrats on finishing your first game!

What I did like about it:
*) the story and setting
*) the graphics
*) the menu font
*) the pocket-style inventory
*) the dialog with the girl where the options didn't match what you said
*) the haircut of the government guys
*) the quit button changing to nooo!

What I didn't like:
*) there should be a hotspot indication
*) clicking on myself to see the inventory
*) I was able to walk behind the kitchen door
*) walking through the open fridge door
*) some spelling mistakes

Well done for a first game, but for your next game I strongly recommend to get one or two beta testers. I see a lot of potential there so I'm looking forward to your next game.

elruffo

Hey guys,

well... what can I say... my first game needs a "day one patch" *shame* :( I updated the new version of the game. You can find it at the same link I posted before. I fixed a few things you noted... and no more strange paranormal activities. Tom cannot pass through doors and walls anymore. :)

Thank you very much for your comments and your suggestions. They are very important for me: I am about to work on the next game, and this hints are going to be extremely helpful when I will think about beta testing and game design (inventory, items, hotspots indicator!!!).

I am happy that you enjoyed the story and that you liked the design! I plan to come up with something very similar for my next game! I fear it's kinda my style  8-)

kconan

Cool, downloading later today.  Congrats on finishing your first AGS game!

Ponch

Played this today on my lunch break (how appropriate!) -- it was a nice, bite-sized bit of AGS goodness. In fact, we should have a category just for games like this.

Length: Lunch Break :-D

cat

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 23/10/2012 02:57:46
In fact, we should have a category just for games like this.

Indeed, we should make a list of games that are entertaining and can be completed in less than 15 minutes.

KodiakBehr

Such games must be consumable within a lunch-break, and be lunch-break themed.

Anian

Good job. Short but sweet and plenty of style. The intro conversation was cool.
3 things that bugged me:
- it seems the music wasn't looping/playing at times
- hotspot hing really bugged me, if you're not gonna have marked hotspots, then they should be indicated by color, shadow or other things
- the last scene
Spoiler
where the character bites the burger to speak poeticly
[close]
you should've let the player do that, would've been a nice touch (it's very clear what needs to be done, but it would've added interactivity)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Jaffles

Fun stuff! I agree that hotspots should either be labelled or blatantly obvious. For example, it took me far too long to figure out you could click on the leather seats (though I could just be a dolt, who knows).

Looking forward to an even MEATIER adventure from you!

Get it? Meaty? Because it's about burgers... and it also means a longer game... and...

I'll just go sit in a corner now.

selmiak

Yay, completed it and enjoyed it.

small critique:
Did boris mention that you can just call him if you forgot what's missing? If yes, then this slipped by me, if not, well, I restarted to see what I was missing...

but hey, great game for your first game, I'm also looking forward to play more games by you :)

elruffo

Thank you again guys, I am happy you enjoyed the game and had fun.

@Jaffles: MEATIER!!! Most definitely! Noted and working on it :)

@selmiak: Boris mentions to call him when you find everything. But I wanted Tom to be able to call Boris even before he finds all the ingredients. Just in case the player got stuck or forgot one (or maybe all) of the ingredients. I am glad you enjoyed the game!

@Anian: Thank you for you critics. I understand now that marked hotspots are very important: in games like Machinarium where there aren't any, the player is condemned to pixel hunt all the time. I guess it's pretty out of style for a game that looks cartoonish like mine.
Spoiler
In game there is just a small visual hint: hotspots and objects have a "wrong" black border in the pixelart.
[close]
The last scene suggestion is so cool! It's a shame I didn't think about it. It gave me an idea. :)
Spoiler
Do you know that scene in Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush has to spit? In that scene, every cursor/command turns in spit related verbs. That would make a great joke for the last scene! (eat, bite, chew, etc...)
[close]

selmiak

Quote from: elruffo on Sat 27/10/2012 09:48:55
Thank you again guys, I am happy you enjoyed the game and had fun.

@selmiak: Boris mentions to call him when you find everything. But I wanted Tom to be able to call Boris even before he finds all the ingredients. Just in case the player got stuck or forgot one (or maybe all) of the ingredients. I am glad you enjoyed the game!
Yeah, I found out that I could call him about the missing ingredients right after I replayed from the start to get the list again.  >_>
Maybe he should have mentioned this also (call me once you found them all. And if you forgot what to do, I'll kill you if you call me... maybe)

@Anian: Thank you for you critics. I understand now that marked hotspots are very important: in games like Machinarium where there aren't any, the player is condemned to pixel hunt all the time. I guess it's pretty out of style for a game that looks cartoonish like mine.
Spoiler
In game there is just a small visual hint: hotspots and objects have a "wrong" black border in the pixelart.
[close]
I didn't notice the wrong black borders. But iirc in machinarium there are only certain places you can walk to and then examine the surroundings the robot can reach and if there is a hotspot the cursor changes. This worked for me (better than in the burger flipper), but you never stop learning ;)

The last scene suggestion is so cool! It's a shame I didn't think about it. It gave me an idea. :)
Spoiler
Do you know that scene in Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush has to spit? In that scene, every cursor/command turns in spit related verbs. That would make a great joke for the last scene! (eat, bite, chew, etc...)
[close]
Then Do it NOW! And upload v1.01 of the game, I'll play it again and laught at this joke, I promise :D
(and then you can also add in the mentioning of the ability to call him anyways and maybe add a @OVERHOTSPOT@ bar somewhere, easy as pie)

elruffo

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 27/10/2012 14:46:14
Then Do it NOW! And upload v1.01 of the game, I'll play it again and laught at this joke, I promise :D
(and then you can also add in the mentioning of the ability to call him anyways and maybe add a @OVERHOTSPOT@ bar somewhere, easy as pie)

(laugh) I am doing it as I write (wait, I am not sure that is even possible...).
I want to fix even the hotspot thing (actually I just did) and other few things. A couple of days for a bit more of coding and testing, and I am going to upload the new version.

Eric

I finally got around to playing this today, and found it to be good fun. I didn't encounter any of the issues folks did above, so I guess I got the updated version. Also, I noticed the

Spoiler
hotspot borders
[close]

so had no trouble there either! This was a nice first game!

elruffo

Hi guys. :) I have been working for the past few days on a new version of The Burger Flipper!
The new version v1.2 can be downloaded at the usual link. I will change the info in AGS game database as soon as I understand how to edit the page. (My new quest)

I did some major changes. The new features in the game include:
*) A new hotspot marker that is going to make the game experience extremely less frustrating.
*) Boris now confirms that Tom should call him if he forgets the list.
*) Now Tom picks up the phone to speak. No more telepathy there! :-D
*) A new "tasty" joke is awaiting for you at the end of the game.

I fixed a few bugs and known issues (doors are not made of thin air anymore for example). I still strongly recommend to stay away from the WindowsKey and Alt-Tab while playing in full screen mode. (The Game simply freaks out)

Thank you for all your help and you support and your nice words about the game in the past days.

Bon Appetit & Happy Halloween!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk