Feature requests and suggestions

Started by AGA, Mon 22/10/2012 17:51:00

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

The functionality of the AGS site will be changing over the coming weeks and months.  No existing features will be removed, but all the comments people have made to date in this forum about the games page and other parts of the site will be taken into account, and solutions will be found where possible.

If you have any suggestions for things that could be added or changed regarding the functionality of the AGS site (the design will not be affected) that you haven't already made in this forum, please let me know.  I won't guarantee I'll be done, but if it sounds like a good idea I'll add it to my to do list.  Please don't repeat yourself if you've already suggested something, since I've already trawled through this forum and picked out all the things suggested to date.

I won't be replying to each suggestion as it's made, unless I completely disagree with adding it.  I will edit each post to strike through the suggestion if it's already been added to my test version.

To Do:

Matrix of Awards by person or awards by year, etc.
Games list show more information - like Browse list, but with more info
Bloggy news page?
Showcase on front page: only show ones with images!
wiki.adventuregamestudio.co.uk subdomain
Download screenshots to server when adding / editing game, and create thumbnails

Done:

List of all AGS Awards nominations
Nominations also shown on each game's page
Screenshots in All Games list
Links to go to particular page in games list
Search author AND title
Tie new games added to submitter's account, rather than first listed contributor as currently
Full size picture appear when game's screenshot is clicked in the game database
Ability for commenters and admins to delete comments
Engine ports: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/?title=AGS_Engine_ports
Screenshots + info on Pick of the Month page
Button to report broken download links

BigMc

Would you notify us when you are through with the list you gathered elsewhere (or even publish the list)? Doesn't really make sense to suggest things before that.

SSH

It would be good if nominations for the AGS Awards were also listed, as well as winners.
It would also be good to get a matrix of winners (or nominees) versus years, etc.
I have a spreadsheet with a lot of the info in, which could be used to enter the info.

Also would be good for games to be able to link to their pages on known sites, such as mobygames, adventuregamers, ACG, etc.

AGA

Quote from: BigMc on Mon 22/10/2012 18:18:14
Would you notify us when you are through with the list you gathered elsewhere (or even publish the list)? Doesn't really make sense to suggest things before that.

Finally got the chance to edit this list into the first post.

cat

A button to report broken download links on the game page would be nice. The recent comments list is spammed with postings about broken downloads.

Also, it would be nice to add tags to each game db entry and people can search in a tag-cloud.

Three-Headed Monkey

I've been absent from the AGS forums and website for quite some time and on returning now I have trouble adaptapting to the new design. I like that you can quickly and easily sort the game lists by author and rating now, but I really miss the option to see all recently added games with thumbnail screenshots and short description on the same page. It's kind of a hassle to click on each individual link just to check if the game that's hidden behind it might be something that appeals to me.

Am I overlooking something or was that feature removed? Is there still some way to browse new releases the way it was before the site changed? If not, I'd really like to see it return. I mean I can understand if some people prefer their browser not to load all these images on one page, but it should at least be an option for anyone who doesn't mind. I fear quite a few good adventures might get overlooked with the new design because a lot of people can't be bothered to click on all these links just to find the needle in a haystack ...

AGA

Everything is changing very soon.

Ryan Timothy B

I'm assuming this goes here..
Could you kindly add an extra comment inside the description for the signature to include a max height. To put an image in there I had to check the page's CSS source, which turns out to be a 60px max-height. Thanks!

selmiak

If you use another displayname on your forum account that you originally created the account with the credits on the AGS games page only link to your account via the sign up name and not the current display name. Would it be possible to get the display name once you are already in the same line in the database to get the signup name. Or allow to add credits via forum account number and then dynamically display the current display name. Would be really cool and cause less confusion. At least when viewing it...

Peder 🚀

I was editing my game yesterday selmiak, and when I went to save I noticed that the authors had been changed from usernames to display names, and if you save it like it, it seems it keeps the real link intact.. However this kinda seems more of a bug than a feature, because really it should be doing this on the game page itself not actually on the edit page. Since the original script collects the user ID from the username it would make sense to keep the username in the actual edit part of a game but like you mentioned, dynamically display the current display name. That way you won't have to edit your game whenever you change your display name!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk