Spaceman in Space

Started by ThreeOhFour, Mon 29/10/2012 11:59:47

Previous topic - Next topic

OG

Quote from: dkh on Tue 06/11/2012 20:50:30
Quote from: önker on Tue 06/11/2012 18:13:04
When I played this game (briefly, very briefly) I kinda got reminded of those bands that used to make good music or, those movie producers that used to produce good films that made great movies but now make utter shite and, just because of status expect it to (and probably will do) well. Do not get me wrong, I loved the Ben Jordan series and know this game was a piss take but... Why release it? Why waste your time and take the effort with the backgrounds etc.. It is boring, the comedy is mediocre and overall a waste of several minutes?  I guess that is probably the best review I can give this game. Hey, I am just being honest. Seriously guys.

I like how your 'review' as you call it consists of exactly ONE point: 'the comedy is mediocre' ('it's boring' is not a point, that needs elaboration). Unfortunately, humor is very much a matter of taste and can never really be rated objectively (as seen by the number of posts here by people that enjoyed the humor very much, including me). I think you should either go into much greater detail when criticizing a game so heavily, especially if it's well-liked by the general community or just keep your opinion to yourself.

All right, that is fair enough. Or I can just express my own opinion. Given the track record of the people who worked on this game I was expecting something pretty exceptional on downloading it, but this sadly wasn't the case 'in my opinion'. I honestly was disappointed by this game and if I am not allowed to express that disappointment, then I am very sorry. I am sure they do not really need my criticism of how the graphics are pretty good (which they most definitely are) if I think the game overall doesn't deserve my outstanding appreciation. I'm with the old fashioned opinion that, sometimes, bad critique makes for a wake-up call, or very  least, a tell tail sign that not 'everyone' was satisfied. Especially when better games are out there and not getting half the appreciation they deserve. If the developers of this game really are offended by my comment they can tell me to bugger off, that is also fair enough. For one, this game as far as I am aware was never supposed to be taken seriously, in actual fact, the opposite.

I love that you love the game. Sadly, it is not for me. As I have already hinted, I do not feel that much effort at all has been placed into this game, aside from the graphics, therefore, with great regret and a heavy heart, I cannot share your opinion. I have seen such great story-telling and writing from these people that it just saddens me to see such a game.

ddq

You'd love the Crackwell games. Not to mention Astro Galaxy Mega Quest.

Shadow1000

I played and completed the game. I enjoyed the silly atmosphere and cute puzzles. Thanks for the laughs :)

SHADOW

Ponch

It's a MAGS game, Onker. Almost by default, no effort is put into a MAGS game compared to a "real" AGS game -- other than the herculean task of of making a working game in just a few weeks. There simply isn't time. Getting a working GUI, player character, inventory items, and a few backgrounds together from scratch (SCRATCH!) in such a short amount of time usually only leaves time for a few rooms and couple of rather simple puzzles. MAGS games have to get by on charm. And I think this game has charm in spades.

Short version: I liked it. I'm sorry you didn't. But honestly, what are you expecting for a game made in about three weeks, give or take?  :-\

Gilbert

Maybe he's expecting a game with OSD quality. High quality graphics, sound, scripting, all around. :=

Seriously though, if you are not really into quickly mucked up games, just stay away from MAGS, Hour Games and OROW. Play some full featured games instead. Criticising a MAGS game for being what it's meant to be is quite harsh.

Ponch

Obviously only OSD games can reach for that brass ring and dare to provide an OSD gaming experience.

Hmmm. That reminds me. I haven't made an OSD game in a while...

veryweirdguy

I already told Ben this I think, but I loved this game. It's hilarious. 'In my opinion.'

Grundislav

Ben and I are each very silly, and when we get together we are even more silly (fans of our podcast know this.)  Our particular brand of humor isn't going to be for everyone, and it would be equally silly to assume everyone will find it amusing.  For those who liked the game, we're glad you did.  For those who didn't, we're sorry.  Hopefully future projects will be more to your liking.

Ghost

Grundy, I can't help but noticing how silly your avatar is right now! Also awesome.

ThreeOhFour

Thanks to everyone who has played and commented!

It's time to vote, so if you've not done so, feel free to do so after playing all the entries this month.

Squinky

Heh, I haven't played an AGS game in forever....This one was pretty cool.

PlantMonster

Looks great! The download link didn't seem to work for me, so I'll have to try again later :)

Squinky

I had some issues with the download as well. It worked for me after about three tries.

LimpingFish

Spaceman in Space fills a void.

Mmmmmmm...

Spacious.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Honza

Awesome little game. Unlike some games that try to shove a forced joke into every sentence, the humour here felt genuine and effortless.

Ponch

Quote from: Honza on Sun 16/12/2012 20:57:07
Awesome little game.
Indeed it is. Which is why I'm hoping for a sequel any day now.  ;-D

djbriandamage

This game completely cracked me up. Loved it! Arrrrgh the puns!

Calin Leafshade

I'm with OG.

Don't you realise that these things you make are all about us, the audience? I don't *care* if you had fun making it why don't you put your effort into something that *I*, the paying consumer, will enjoy?

I'm not what your shareholders will think of this...

Monsieur OUXX

Is it me or has there been a one-year space-continuum gap in this thread?

Calin Leafshade

Oh wow, yea I didn't notice that. Sorry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk