[RELEASED] Astroloco: Worst Contact

Started by MurrayL, Mon 29/10/2012 22:34:43

Previous topic - Next topic

MurrayL

Get the demo (23.5MB):
AGS DatabaseDownload
Official Hungry Planet Games SiteDownload

[embed=640,480]<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ubX7MBA1_wg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ubX7MBA1_wg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/embed]

'Astroloco: Worst Contact' is my latest endeavour into the world of point & click adventure games. This time, a love letter to my favourite genre of all - science fiction. As with my previous games, which you may be familiar with (subAtomic and Plan M), I have my buddy Dave along to help me with development.
He's mostly been busy poking pixels into small spaces to make the character art. This time around, however, we're also bringing to bear the full force of our new development house 'Hungry Planet Games'.

Synopsis:
In the far future, humans explore and colonise space using ridiculously deadly, moon-sized trains - the titular 'Astro Locomotives'. They are operated by enormous, competing railroad companies and train vs. train combat is expensively common.

You play as two characters, both trying to uncover a galactic conspiracy and keep their jobs.
* Ronald, the dependable mechanic: Responsible for keeping Gilbert station running smoothly.
* Arianne, the roguish pilot: Driver of The Comet, and the best train driver in the company (if she could only stay out of trouble).

Lies Features:
* Trains. In space. That's worth the entry price, right there.
* More of my writing. That might be a positive or a negative, depending on how much you enjoy laughing until you dribble.
* Fully voiced! You'll also be able to turn the voice-over off, since I know some of you like to do that. Just know that every time someone ticks that particular box in the game settings, we'll execute one of our voice actors.
* Fully music-ed(?)! You won't be able to turn the music off. In fact, the volume slider starts at 100% and it only goes up from there.
* The 'unique' graphical style of subAtomic and Plan M!
* Interesting puzzles and minigames! I know a lot of you adventure gamers out there like to actually have some challenge in your games. For everyone else, just hold down your Escape key and hope it ends soon.
* An entirely reasonable retail price!

Pretty Pictures:
(Click 'em for full sized goodness)

The full game will be coming out this winter. We'll be appearing on Steam Greenlight shortly, and are also in talks with other online distribution platforms.

Keep updated by following me on Twitter @GameDevIdeas, Hungry Planet Games @HungryPlanetGS, and also liking our page on Facebook!

We're also going to be at Adventure X 2012 this year, so come and say "hi" if you're going to be there! We promise we aren't all insane.

Revae

That last screenshot sold me.  Always wanted to punch a giant hole in a plant.

MurrayL

Quote from: Revae on Mon 29/10/2012 22:59:57
That last screenshot sold me.  Always wanted to punch a giant hole in a plant.

Well hey, the storyline revolves around punching a giant hole through a planet!

selmiak

I like that the hammer is selected to plug in the Gary Gamebox :D
looking very great already!

MurrayL

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 30/10/2012 01:06:02
I like that the hammer is selected to plug in the Gary Gamebox :D
looking very great already!

I think this might be the first game I've made where a hammer isn't used for fire suppression.

CaptainD

Looking forward to seeing this at Adventure-X!  8-)

MurrayL

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 30/10/2012 10:43:39
Looking forward to seeing this at Adventure-X!  8-)

Thanks! I actually felt bad seeing the impending release of Captain Disaster - I was worried you might think we decided to jump onto a sci-fi point & click bandwagon. Then I realised Captain Disaster doesn't have trains in, and I felt okay again.

Great looking game, by the way - the demo was awesome. Definitely a must-buy! But it doesn't have trains in it. Unless that's going to be a secret reveal at Adventure-X.

I hope not.

CaptainD

Quote from: MurrayL on Tue 30/10/2012 11:19:06
Unless that's going to be a secret reveal at Adventure-X.

Well.,.. not now:P

ThreeOhFour

I will play the trousers off of this game.

MurrayL

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Tue 30/10/2012 17:55:16
I will play the trousers off of this game.

Now that's the kind of borderline-creepy enthusiasm I like to hear!

I'll keep the thread updated as we move closer to release. Not sure about the demo content yet, but it'd be crazy not to have one.

m0ds

Good luck with the game, see you (and it) at the event!

Ghost

I once vowed to play every game where there is a fuel station in the desert with a loo next to it. (Long story) Since not even Borderlands 2 delivered, you are my last hope, Murray! Looks great so far!

MurrayL

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 07/11/2012 15:44:25
I once vowed to play every game where there is a fuel station in the desert with a loo next to it. (Long story) Since not even Borderlands 2 delivered, you are my last hope, Murray! Looks great so far!
I'm both intrigued and a little scared about the long story that created that vow, but I'm glad we can help!

Update: I'm busying myself putting together the last few scenes of the game before we move on to some full testing sessions next week. We're also still sorting out the sounds and music, but it's getting close!

Does anyone have any particular 'favourite' places to buy downloadable games? I want to make sure we're getting in touch with everywhere we can.

CaptainD

Quote from: MurrayL on Fri 09/11/2012 12:04:54
Does anyone have any particular 'favourite' places to buy downloadable games? I want to make sure we're getting in touch with everywhere we can.

I'm happy with any of the following:  Steam, Desura, Beamdog, Stardock, plus of course WEG and Screen7!

Fred7162

I dont know about favourites since I only use the following 2: GOG.COM and Steam, but Desura seems nice(I also try to buy every indie bundle I can)

CaptainD

You might also want to consider IndieGameStand, Little Indie, IndieVania, MyGameIQ, IndieCity.

I can't vouch for any of them, although I believe IndieVania in particular gives indie publishers a very good deal  I haven't had any dealings with these beyond posting their PR information in the past.

MurrayL

Thanks for the replies! I'll check 'em all out.

As a reward, here's the top half of one of our characters enjoying a spinny-office-chair.

It's best not to ask where his legs went.

Ghost

About selling via net, I must be the most careful and paranoid guy in that respect. I simply hate the idea to type my credit card's number into the interwebs. And I don't even have a credit card. Steam is pretty much the only platform I know where I can purchase online but pay offline (via SteamPoints), so that is a strong argument for Steam in my book.
Maybe worth considering, depending on your target audience.

Quote from: MurrayL on Fri 09/11/2012 16:17:33
It's best not to ask where his legs went.
Where did his legs went?

Revae

That's some mighty fine pixel art you got there.

CaptainD

Didn't this guy appear in LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk