Hypothetically - supposing you realised your game was crap...

Started by Hernald, Sun 18/11/2012 09:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

kconan

Jared

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 19/11/2012 15:26:53
EVERYONE thinks their game is crap when it's finished. :) Just release it. The feedback will be invaluable.

I think this is pretty damn near universal. Why? Tim Schafer and the Two Guys from Andromeda have done commentaries of their past games as part of their Kickstarter promotions and were highly critical. If legends of the industry aren't satisfied, what chance do the rest of us have?

CaptainD

I just want to make two further comments on this:

Don't compare your first game to Ratracer's first (and only) game - The Uncertainty Machine would probably still make my top ten AGS games of all time.

Secondly, having had the opportunity to actually play Hernald's game, I say absolutely release it!  Sure the graphics aren't mind-blowing but this is a very enjoyable game with some well thought-out puzzles (usually fairly easy, but still well implemented) with quite a bit of variety, good writing, few typos, and no game-stopping bugs (that I've found).  Many people would have happy to produce this as their third or fourth game, let alone first.

Lasca

They way I see it, a game is like any work of art.
Writing a book, making a move, acting on a stage, whatever you do, there's always a risk involved. There's risk that people will laugh, throw sharp object or just be indifferent. In my opinion, that's what makes it worth it! It's a kick equal to bungie jumping (not that i've tried it) or paragliding(haven't done that either)! When you put your creation out there it's like exposing you throat to hungry dogs. But 99 % of the dogs are small, nice dogs and just lick you in your face. The rest are stupid ones and should be ignored.
And very few artist are content with what they've created. Which is good, since it shows that their want to create hasn't gone away.
Yaddi, yaddi, lots of talk, but I say release it. I know I will when, if, I'm done. And then, perhaps, I will make another and then another until I don't enjoy it anymore. But I like the exposing, and I like being afraid, but still doing it. It proves that I'm stronger then my fear.

Taleweaver

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Really, if you can realistically improve your game before releasing it, do so. If you can't, release it. However, don't NOT release it. A game never released is just time and effort wasted. Even if you only did it to get feedback on how to improve, you will still get something out of it.

EchosofNezhyt

Release it, Get feed back, Improve.

AGSERS don't expect AAA titles 90% of people here are learning too :P

vertigoaddict

My first game was crap, but I like to look back on the project and think "wow, I definitely could do better" and so I try to do so.
Like a lotta people mentioned you learn/ improve from feedback.

Thats going to be one game under your belt, let's be honest, it's a nice feeling to see the numbers pile up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk