MAGS November: "Novel" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Wed 07/11/2012 19:37:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Novel'

As it is national novel writing month, the task for November is to make a game based on any novel/story of your choice.

But it must:

(a) be a published novel, and
(b) at least loosely stay true to the novel. In other words, the plot can be simplified, abridged, characters added/removed etc - but generally it should follow the novel's story-line.

Have fun guys!

Ending 8th December

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

âœ" A working download link.
âœ" The title of your game.
âœ" A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Radiant

That's a <puts on sunglasses> novel idea for a game!  :grin:

Ponch

Hmmm... I think I have an idea... It's poorly thought out and probably not good enough to really build a game around...

It's perfect for MAGS!  :cheesy:

Radiant

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 07/11/2012 20:01:04
Hmmm... I think I have an idea... It's poorly thought out and probably not good enough to really build a game around...

It's perfect for MAGS!  :cheesy:

You're... going to write an OSD novel and then make a game about that? :) :cheesy:

Ponch

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 07/11/2012 20:04:47
You're... going to write an OSD novel and then make a game about that? :) :cheesy:

Shits! Now I will must do the new plan makings! Teh forums has caughts on to my teh cleverly plot!

Ghost

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 07/11/2012 20:27:15
Shits! Now I will must do the new plan makings! Teh forums has caughts on to my teh cleverly plot!

You could *make* that game, write a *novel* about how you made the game, *publish* it, and then *make a new game about it*!
You have four weeks!

Jaffles

Oh man, what a cool theme! I'm taking a Mystery and Detective Fiction course right now, and we just read a book that would be perfect for this! But alas, since I can't use my already-made Reon assets, I don't think I'll have time to enter.

Props for the theme though!

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 07/11/2012 20:50:12
You could *make* that game, write a *novel* about how you made the game, *publish* it, and then *make a new game about it*!
You have four weeks!

You're right! That's exactly what I could do!  :cheesy:  This is going to be even easier than I thought!!

Ghost

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 08/11/2012 14:07:14
You're right! That's exactly what I could do!

Go ahead. Meanwhile, I will write a novel about you doing all that- and that's going to make me obscenely rich! Any favourite celebrity that should act your part in the obvious "movie-based-on-the-novel-inspired-by-the-game-affected-by-the-novel-about-the-game's-movie's-author"?

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 08/11/2012 19:17:33
Any favourite celebrity that should act your part in the obvious "movie-based-on-the-novel-inspired-by-the-game-affected-by-the-novel-about-the-game's-movie's-author"?

The only celebrity who could play me is Sam Elliot. Or possibly Wesley Snipes. They're sort of interchangeable really.

UPDATE:
I am officially MAGSing the month. I started work on my game this evening and have most of the voice roles cast.  ;-D

And I'm really going to finish this time! Pinky swear!

Ghost

Do novels based on movies/games count? "Labyrinth" (Labyrinth), for example, or "Knee-deep into the Dead" (Doom)?

Atelier

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 10/11/2012 06:17:00
Do novels based on movies/games count?

I guess so! The rules only require it to be a published novel. But the game would obviously have to be based on the written rendition rather than the original movie/game.

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 10/11/2012 06:17:00
Do novels based on movies/games count? ... "Knee-deep into the Dead" (Doom)?

You must have huge guts to ask that question!  :=

TheBitPriest

I'll throw my hat... (er... two hats?) into the mix...

Meet an old man named Santiago and his apprentice Manolin. 

Santiago is salao.  Can Manolin help The Old Man regain his confidence and face the Sea?  Will the old man (not to be confused with Ernest Hemingway) come home victorious?

BP

Ghost

Quote from: Atelier on Sat 10/11/2012 15:05:09
I guess so! The rules only require it to be a published novel. But the game would obviously have to be based on the written rendition rather than the original movie/game.

Alright, that's cool.
*steps over to bookshelf*

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 10/11/2012 15:05:20
You must have huge guts to ask that question!  :=
Rip and *tear*, sir! RIP and TEAR!

Radiant

Maybe I'll make a "Waiting For Godot" game that shows a loading screen for ten minutes
Spoiler
and then nothing happens.
[close]

TheBitPriest

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 11/11/2012 12:37:37
Maybe I'll make a "Waiting For Godot" game that shows a loading screen for ten minutes
Spoiler
and then nothing happens.
[close]

Too funny! (laugh)  Someone should make a game about chapter three of The Grapes of Wrath.  Maybe a Frogger clone? (laugh)

Ponch

I could make a "Little House On The Prairie" game where everyone dies of dysentery. Oh wait... it's been done already.

Look like it's "Story of O" for me... unless Dualnames has already called dibs on it.  :=

Atelier

So there's Ponch, BitPriest and possibly Ghost - is anybody else interested?

Remember the deadline is the 8th December not 30th November.

Ponch

Surely there must more entries than just two (or three). I need competition! I need a challenge! I work best under pressure! I can't finish this adaptation of an erotic masterpiece unless I feel other AGSers are also in it to win it! Get in the game, AGS Community!! :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk