Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Yeah, now that people have said life/humans/mankind etc, that seems to fit.  But that's not stopping me from trying to think of an alternative solution ;)

Baron

Wasn't Seth also a son of Adam & Eve?  And Able was hardly a failure.... unless you count being murdered as a failure.

Is it something to do with misogyny?  The two failures are two X chromosomes (X for wrong = failure).  So a woman starts with "two failures", and they bring about two things that a woman has that others might admire....  Anybody got a bead on this?  Ponch?  But it always ends wrong with an old battleaxe harping about your dirty socks on the floor and your toilet aim.  So in the end MAN pays dearly.

Renodox

You're not getting the actual meaning...

Here's a hint: the word "Failures" was chosen for another reason than it's meaning.  I could have also used Fakes, Fames, or Familiars.  These three have one thing in common that works for the riddle.

Andail

Yeah, the F's are pretty obvious (F being a fail grade), especially since you confirmed my being on the right track with letters building a word.

Although two letters that have to do with admiration? I'm lost there.
Edit: Unless it's simply two A's.
FAFA? Nope, still lost.

Stee

<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Renodox

QuoteYeah, the F's are pretty obvious (F being a fail grade), especially since you confirmed my being on the right track with letters building a word.

If it was just "f" that I was referring to, then I could have used a myraid of words, not just the ones I refer to.

You need to analyze EVERYTHING in the riddle.  The ENTIRETY of the wording.  It describes a thing, sure, but there's also clues in how it's worded.

QuoteFaith

No.  While that word had the prerequisite for one of the words I could have used instead of failures, that single word "failures" is NOT the key to solving the riddle.

If no one gets the idea by tomorrow I'll post another riddle that may help give some insight to what I'm referring to.

Corby

QuoteNo.  While that word had the prerequisite for one of the words I could have used instead of failures

So, for example, "It starts with the meeting of two ferrets." wouldn't work? The "F" and "A" is the key to the first line?

Stupot

The Holy Trinity?

1. FAther (Jesus had two FAthers - Joseph and God)
2. Son. (Everyone admired him... 'Jesus' is a two syllable word)
3. Holy Spirit (I don't know, it's just a bloody guess for Christ's sake!)

[EDIT]
Quote from: Renodox
But ending wrong...
I think the word we are after ends with a 'g', or maybe with 'ng'.
Can't for the life of me think what the word might be though... Faffing?

ZapZap

FAilures adMIre dearLY... FAMILY?
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Stee

I'm getting FATHIS, which assuming the ending is wrong, Fathers.

Other than that I have no clue, nor do I understand the context of the riddle if that is the answer so I am assuming that is not it.
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Renodox

QuoteFAilures adMIre dearLY... FAMILY?

YES!  You got it!

To fully explain the riddle though look at it this way:

It STARTS with the meeting of TWO FAilures.
See the word STARTS with the first TWO letters of the last word.

They NEXT bring about TWO who they thought others would adMIre.
Moving on, the next TWO letters are the NEXT two letters in the last word.

But ENDING wrong this had to pay dearLY.
By now the pattern of taking two letters should be clear so you END the word with the last two of the final word.

While the riddle has a grim outlook on it, it describes a family.  Two individuals (in this case a man and a woman who were failures at what they did) met, and they had two children whom they thought others would admire.  However, since the parents were such failures the children didn't do so great and the family had to pay dearly.

Andail

Woah, I'm super-impressed that Cleanic solved it! You're gonna love my GiP, Cleanic, ha ha, *pitch*

I still don't quite agree with the second-layer description of the riddle, but it was ok.

Stupot

Ahhh, well played Cleanic.  I was barking in the wrong forest :(
Not a bad riddle though.  You got any more like that, Renodox? Or anyone?

ZapZap

Ahhh so that was it? Sorry I didn't put it in a spoiler :undecided:
I've already played the first chapter Andail, great work! Sorry guys, i'm too lazy to give feedback to all the games i play
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Renodox

This one requires something different.  There is no hidden word but word play can still be used or just some rather obscure knowledge.

If it were in manga,
It would know kung-fu.
If you don't know what it is,
Think, "I don't understand you."

What is it?

Ghost

A Chinese, most likely female: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeChineseGirl?from=Main.ChineseGirl
I always think "I don't understand you" when someone speaks Chinese, too.

Can't be that simple, though. Or could it?  (laugh)

Stee

Renodox

No it's not that easy.  Both are wrong.

Kweepa

Why are they wrong?
These puzzles are silly.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk