Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Easy!
AAB=A
CAC=G
ACC=S

As I'm sure you realised, I was mostly just reverse engineering what I saw as 3 units of a 3 character code, and figured, on AGS, people would use "AGS" as a thing to code :D
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Crimson Wizard

I almost got DKH :). But my algorythm failed to produce the last letter, and I got DKR instead.

DoorKnobHandle

Haha, well, it's neither AGS nor DKH but it sure is fun seeing you guys try! :)

Stupot

Is it the answers to the first 9 questions on last night's Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Or is it November 23 in the year 13133?
AABCACACC

DoorKnobHandle

Haha, you'd think there'd be a D in there somewhere, no?

Nah, that wouldn't really be a 'code' I don't think. More like a cryptic abbreviation.

I will be releasing a first hint in ~20 hours assuming nobody gets it until then of course.

bicilotti

Quote from: dkh on Mon 26/11/2012 21:32:13
I will be releasing a first hint in ~20 hours assuming nobody gets it until then of course.

Can you at least state the length of the string to guess? As it is it's pretty pointless to guess anything.

edit: what about that 'I eschew trees' animal? Did we get it, Renodox?

SSH

Cool air invoice for a channel owned by Disney:

An ABC Air Conditioning Account?

A ABC A/C Acc.

Renodox

Yes, you got the animal for the trees thing.

"Albatross, Duck, or Goose" were all acceptable answers.

Stupot

Quote from: Renodox on Mon 26/11/2012 22:55:09"Albatross, Duck, or Goose" were all acceptable answers.
Not Puffin? :(

Renodox

QuoteNot Puffin?

I've seen puffins in trees at the zoo.

Stupot

I'm pretty sure ducks and geese aren't 100% averse to trees either. Can't speak for albatrosses as I've never seen one.

Baron

AABCACACC

Is it like one of those letter substitution things?  Like A=E, C=S, etc..?

Or do double letters stand for sequential letters, and singles stand for the next letter in line, then skip by twos, thus creating ABCDEFGHI?  I don't know.  I think without a hint it's all just a shot in the dark.  Is the answer
Spoiler
Watermelon?
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

Nope, it's none of the above! Since it appears to be too hard to figure out without this information, the solution consists of 6 characters!

That hint in a good 12 hours is still going to be posted btw!

Quote from: Baron on Tue 27/11/2012 02:04:57
AABCACACC

Is it like one of those letter substitution things?  Like A=E, C=S, etc..?

In some form or the other, yes, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a code! :)

Stupot

Quote from: dkh on Tue 27/11/2012 05:55:08the solution consists of 6 characters
Hmmm,
Scooby-doo, Jack Shepherd, Mr. Darcy, Inspector Clouseau, Jesus Christ and Lara Croft.

Alan v.Drake

"square" or "matrix" or "sudoku" ?

- Alan

Tabata

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 27/11/2012 13:40:25
Quote from: dkh on Tue 27/11/2012 05:55:08the solution consists of 6 characters
Hmmm,
Scooby-doo, Jack Shepherd, Mr. Darcy, Inspector Clouseau, Jesus Christ and Lara Croft.

Stupot - you made my day with this answer! Well done!  (laugh)

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Tue 27/11/2012 15:38:45
"square" or "matrix" or "sudoku" ?

In case those aren't just random 6-letter words, I'd be very interested in how you got them from my code! :)

Okay, so the hint:

There are 9 characters in my code but they translate to 6! It's neither one 'code character' per 'solution character' nor is it two! How can this be? Have you ever seen this happen before somewhere maybe?

I'm pretty sure this makes it kinda easy, in case I'm still underestimating the difficulty of deciphering my code, I will post another hint tomorrow!

Stupot

Quote from: dkh on Tue 27/11/2012 21:39:56It's neither one 'code character' per 'solution character' nor is it two! How can this be?
Three for every two?
I'm thinking it could be to do with hex-colour values or something like that, but can't find a viable solution :-/

DoorKnobHandle

Haha, nah, it's real characters, no colors or anything mean like that!

And I also didn't manage to encode two characters with three, would be very interesting tho! :)

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: dkh on Tue 27/11/2012 21:39:56
In case those aren't just random 6-letter words, I'd be very interested in how you got them from my code! :)

Square because it could have been a 3x3 array, matrix because those letters might have had a numerical meaning, sudoku... well it's still about matrix and numbers.
I guess I'll give up before my brain fries up :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk