Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

I thought of 3 riddles, which you can solve. The prize: cash (You'll see straight through these - unless blinded  :tongue:). The answer is like an f-word, but even more offensive - yet not as strong as how you'll write it. A clue: "You used to listen to me! Now you only ever feel me after you've been out drinking with your friends!"

SOLVE THEM

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Renodox on Thu 29/11/2012 00:59:01
Who was the president?  What was the coin?  What was the plea?

The president is a dead man, dunno who, and he's giving the coin, an obol, to Kharon, the judge, so he can sail across the Styx ?
Obviously that sounds too easy, so I'm probably wrong.

- Alan

Renodox

Snarky got it!  He even has the right reasoning!  Congradulations!

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Renodox on Thu 29/11/2012 00:59:01Who was the president?  What was the coin?  What was the plea?
The worst thing about this riddle, and most riddles, is it's a play on words.

For some reason it reminds me of that riddle Neelix told Tuvok in Star Trek Voyager. Which actually angered me, not only because it was stupid, but because Neelix is some random alien in the Delta quadrant and Tuvok is Vulcan.. both likely to not know English except for their "translators", but that doesn't allow them to have riddles that play on words in a language neither likely speak. Argh, badly written TV.

Anyway, the riddle went like this (modifying it to fit in today's world; cutting out the Starfleet and space travel bit):

A lone soldier finds himself stranded in a barren desert with no rations. His only possession: a calendar.
When search and rescue finds him twelve months later, he's in perfect health. Why didn't he starve to death?

Baron

Logic dictates that the Ensign in question would perish....

mkennedy

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Fri 30/11/2012 03:22:46
A lone soldier finds himself stranded in a barren desert with no rations. His only possession: a calendar.
When search and rescue finds him twelve months later, he's in perfect health. Why didn't he starve to death?

Spoiler
he ate the dates?
[close]

If my answer is correct then that's a pretty bad riddle and your anger is well justified.

Ryan Timothy B

Yup. And he also ate the:
Spoiler
"Sundaes"
[close]

Bad riddle indeed. And even worse that they both don't speak English. Meh.

Quote from: Baron on Fri 30/11/2012 03:48:37
Logic dictates that the Ensign in question would perish....
:)

Andail

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 29/11/2012 17:51:41
Lincoln with a penny, declaring that he's "in-a-cent"

Good one, Snarky!
However, looking at this situation from a non-riddle perspective, wasn't that a strange moment to suddenly produce a coin and brag that it's got your face on it? Did he plead insanity?
"Mr Lincoln, you're accused of this heinous crime, and..."
"LOOK AT THIS COIN! THAT'S MY FACE!"
"I accept your plea."

Alan:
QuoteThe president is a dead man, dunno who, and he's giving the coin, an obol, to Kharon, the judge, so he can sail across the Styx ?
Obviously that sounds too easy, so I'm probably wrong.

I really like this solution, although it ignores some of the premises; Kharon isn't a judge (merely a ferryman), and the whole scenario can't be described as a trial, really.

Renodox

QuoteThe worst thing about this riddle, and most riddles, is it's a play on words.

True, this is a play on words.  However, I don't think I'll ever find a riddle as bad as the 1970's Batman Riddler riddle:

"What weighs 5 oz, lives in a tree and is dangerous?"

Ilyich

A sparrow with a machine gun, obviously! :cheesy: Such a great movie  ;-D

Renodox

Getting back to the topic...

I guess: the head.

Andail

The head? Was that the solution to a riddle, or a new riddle, disguised as a solution?

Stupot

Quote from: Andail on Mon 03/12/2012 17:02:07
The head? Was that the solution to a riddle, or a new riddle, disguised as a solution?
I think it's a guess to one off Ben's 3 riddles.

Piggy-backing off Renodox's hard work, I think:

1) You'll see straight through these - unless blinded - eyes
2) The answer is like an f-word, but even more offensive - yet not as strong as how you'll write it. - face (as in, "your face offends me", but the written word 'face' is not so bad).
3) "You used to listen to me! Now you only ever feel me after you've been out drinking with your friends!" head? (unless it's something different, and 'head' is the overall answer covering all the clues... in which case Renodox takes it :) )

Renodox

My last post was not a riddle, I just was trying to rekindle people's interest in this topic due to no one trying to answer the three.

If you want a "new" riddle, here's one that I got somehwere else but I don't know how popular it is:

Two fathers and two sons went fishing.  When they caught three fish, each one had a fish so they left happy.  Explain the situation.

ThreeOhFour

Sadly none of Stu's answers are on the right track - although you've got the right idea splitting it up into three seperate riddles (Keep in mind that The prize: cash is a part of the first riddle as well - the part that will help you solve it).

Just to outline the bastardness of my riddles - the answer is three different objects that aren't related in any way, I merely thought it would please fans of bastard riddles to tie them all together in a single paragraph.

selmiak

the last thing could be a wallet, but after a night out I feel it less actually...

bicilotti

Quote from: Renodox on Mon 03/12/2012 23:36:32
My last post was not a riddle, I just was trying to rekindle people's interest in this topic due to no one trying to answer the three.

If you want a "new" riddle, here's one that I got somehwere else but I don't know how popular it is:

Two fathers and two sons went fishing.  When they caught three fish, each one had a fish so they left happy.  Explain the situation.

Some kind of cannibalistic behaviour? Like this dude? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefish#Feeding_habits

edit, i.e: two cannibalism prone fishes went fishing, etc. etc.

ThreeOhFour

There are three men - Grandfather, father and son. The father is both a father to the son and a son to the grandfather.

As for my riddles, they rely fairly heavily on homophones and synonyms - very much wordplay riddles.

Anian

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Tue 04/12/2012 08:30:25
There are three men - Grandfather, father and son. The father is both a father to the son and a son to the grandfather.
Is it Bob Wilson or the Bartender?
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Renodox

ThreeOhFour got it.  As I said, this wasn't my riddle just one I read in a book years ago.

As for his riddles: I can guess that the second one is "foul" or "fowl" depending on how you write the word, it can be offensive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk