Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

You'll see straight through these - unless blinded - windows :-)
Not sure about the other two now... Unless the third one is 'wife'?

ThreeOhFour

Stu got the first one! The prize: cash is a hint for "win dough" and the second clue there is pretty self explanatory once you know the answer. Jolly good work!

Stupot

Ahh, 'win dough', Haha.  That didn't occur to me.

Anyway I think I've got number 2:
The answer is like an f-word, but even more offensive - yet not as strong as how you'll write it. forward (bit like 'f-word' and also 'offensive' in the sense of going forward in battle, for example).

ThreeOhFour

Not the answer, but your logic is very close. Stay on that train of thought!

mkennedy

Quote from: Renodox on Fri 30/11/2012 23:03:11
"What weighs 5 oz, lives in a tree and is dangerous?"

Something venomous?
A bird with the flu?

Renodox

It's already been solved.  It was just some dumb riddle by the Riddler in "Batman the Movie."  The answer was: A sparrow with a machine gun.

Mostly, it had been part of a two-part riddle: "What does a turkey do when it's upside down?"
Answer: It gobbles up.

So the question became, "What gobbles up a sparrow?"
Answer: Cat.

Meaning that there was Catwoman.

Renodox

Well, I'm not ready for this thread to die just yet so here's an older riddle I made based on the King's Quest Series:

Three Times Have I Been Seen,
Once I was Helpful,
Once I was Mostly Bad,
Once I was Just Mean.
Never Seen by the Daughter or Mother,
But Twice I Have Been Seen by the Father,
And Once Have I Been Seen By the Son.

What am I?

Stee

<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Renodox

Nope.

Again, this is only something you can find in the King's Quest series of games.  Think of something that King Graham and Prince Alexander have run into but not Rosella and Valanice.

Akril15

It's not the gnome that appears in KQ1 and 3 (and KQ5, if you consider that gnome to be the same one), is it?

Renodox

Nope.  Even if you consider the gnomes to be the same, there was never a time where he was mostly bad or just mean.  Typically, he'd been helpful, if only a little rude.

mkennedy

Quote from: Renodox on Sat 15/12/2012 20:07:47
What am I?

When you say what are implying that the answer is an inanimate object rather than a person?

Renodox

That depends on your point of view.  This one could just as easily be considered a "who" rather than a "what" but really and truly that depends on your point of view.  It's not inanimate but it's not exactly personable either.

Renodox

Well, since no one seems to be interested in this topic anymore I'll give the answer to the riddle:

Spoiler
Genie!  There were two genies seen by Graham (the father), the first in King's Quest 2 where it was helpful by granting needed items, the second in King's Quest 5 where he was just mean, "Ahh freedom at last, now you spend the next 500 years in a bottle!"  Then Alexander (the son) saw a genie Shamir Shamazel, who was mostly bad due to him following the orders of Alhazred but can be made good by Alexander.  However, neither Rosella nor Valanice ever saw a genie in their games.
[close]

Akril15

Quote from: Renodox on Fri 21/12/2012 01:36:37
Nope.  Even if you consider the gnomes to be the same, there was never a time where he was mostly bad or just mean.  Typically, he'd been helpful, if only a little rude.
Well, I was mostly going with the idea that his riddle in the first name was "just mean" -- I mean, who hasn't cursed that puzzle?

The answer to your riddle does make much more sense, although the phrasing of the riddle itself is a bit misleading, since
Spoiler
both Rosella and Valanice (as well as Graham) see Shamir the genie in the Long Ending to KQ6, at the wedding. It only makes sense if it's stated that the riddle is referring to the player characters of their respective games, and no other protagonists.
[close]

Andail

Alright, I'm gonna spoil my game a bit, but I'm wondering if a puzzle I made is too hard, or doable.

Spoiler

The player has been given a walking cane. The cane should be used as a sort of lever to activate some numbers (I won't explain the exact procedure, but the numbers are the important part). The player has access to this "poem":
    First I wandered from wonder to wonder, from years of yore to now.
    Thereafter, I roamed with the riders of the revelation.
    Then I drifted from dusk till dawn.
    Lastly I strolled from sea to sea, missing no note, losing no key.

The walking theme should connect the cane with the numbers. So, which numbers would you activate? I suspect the three first ones are a bit too easy, and the fourth much too hard. Any thoughts or suggestions?
[close]

Snarky

Spoiler
First: ? (Edit: Oh, I guess 7 wonders of the world. "Years of yore to now" threw me.)
Second: 4 (horsemen of the apocalypse)
Third: ? (Edit: Maybe 12, if it's half a day/night cycle. But a night isn't always 12 hours long...)
Fourth: 8 (notes in an octave, from C to C)
[close]

Tabata

a guess about the third

Spoiler
maybe 3 ?
since they made 3 films "From Dusk Till Dawn"  (roll)
[close]

Hernald

The fourth :
Spoiler
Thirteen notes with both the major and minor from C to C
[close]

Andail

Ok, I'm realizing that a puzzle like this, isolated and brought out of context, will appear a bit trivial and straightforward, while in-game just understanding when and how to apply the answers may be hard to understand.
Actually, only #4 requires any real thought - the rest are pretty basic. I should probably improve them.
But yeah, Snarky got them all.

Spoiler

I don't know why I wrote "...to now" in there, as it's just confusing the message. No wonder of the world was built recently, anyway.
Four, as in The four horsemen, is correct.
12 hours from dusk till dawn. This isn't a very good riddle, since as you point out, only around equinox is this correct. At first I thought I should include something about the middle of a march (march being walking-themed and the month of an equinox) but it got long and wordy.
Eight full notes from C to C, well done. Thirteen could be an answer here, but the numbers available are from 5 to 12.

I should probably give a few of these riddles some more thought. If you have any good ideas, feel free to contribute. There should be a tangible walking theme (to make the player connect the poem with the walking cane), plenty of alliteration and preferably a rhyme somewhere.

[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk