Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

Quote from: dayowlron on Thu 25/01/2018 11:42:13
coffee beans?

No. That would be "They are ground and they are boiled"

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

Quote from: dayowlron on Thu 25/01/2018 14:45:01
Barista

That is a correct answer!

However, the riddle does have a further layer where exactly which baristas can be identified.

So: one win for dayowlron, and another win if someone can answer that part of the riddle as well...

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 24/01/2018 14:37:16
They grind and they boil,
So that many may toil,
As the lights of night fade,
Much money they're paid.

Who are they?

So... we know they are baristas, people who brew and serve coffee, but not yet exactly which baristas they are:

Hint:
Spoiler
The riddle could be solved with just the first two lines. So why is it four lines long?
[close]

Stupot

Kweepa

Starbucks baristas
(lights of night = stars)
(much money = bucks)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Stupot

I thought Starbucks had already been guessed but I just realised CaptainD actually said StarDucks. And seeing Kweepa's rationale it can't possibly be anything else.

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 27/01/2018 08:17:01
I thought Starbucks had already been guessed but I just realised CaptainD actually said StarDucks. And seeing Kweepa's rationale it can't possibly be anything else.

Yeah "StarDucks" probably won't make sense to anyone who hasn't played Act III of Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots!

Mandle

Quote from: Kweepa on Sat 27/01/2018 03:49:55
Starbucks baristas
(lights of night = stars)
(much money = bucks)

Yes!!!

The final answer is "Starbucks" based on exactly the logic of Kweepa's solution!

I actually thought CaptainD had figured it out when I saw his "StarDucks" post but then realized this was the name of a coffee shop in his game CDIDHAMSB and then realized it was probably just a joke answer.

CaptainD

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 27/01/2018 14:03:48
I actually thought CaptainD had figured it out when I saw his "StarDucks" post but then realized this was the name of a coffee shop in his game CDIDHAMSB and then realized it was probably just a joke answer.

Actually it was a bit of both - since StarDucks was, obviously, based on StarBucks - but it was probably more joke than genuine so congrats Kweepa! ;-D

Mandle

Here's one of my favorites. It's fairly famous so if you have heard it before please give others who haven't a chance:

A man was granted a wish by an angel. The man wished to see heaven and hell. The angel took the man and showed him hell first:

In hell the people had to sit back a meter from round tables laden with delicious foods. They only had 2-meter-long chopsticks with which to pick up the food. They could pick up the food but it was impossible to eat it. They were all starving and bitter.

Next the angel showed the man heaven. To the man's surprise the situation was exactly the same: The people sat back a meter from round banquet tables with only 2-meter-long chopsticks but everyone was heathy and happy.

Why?

Crimson Wizard

@Mandle,
Spoiler

Thinking of how the people in hell and heaven could be different, I'll make a guess the ones in heaven feeded each other.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 11/03/2018 00:20:37
@Mandle,
Spoiler

Thinking of how the people in hell and heaven could be different, I'll make a guess the ones in heaven feeded each other.
[close]

Exactly!

I love teaching this riddle to kids and explaining

Spoiler
that it's really about this world and how it's really we, ourselves, who decide if it will be heaven or hell.
[close]

mkennedy

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 10/03/2018 23:59:14
Here's one of my favorites. It's fairly famous so if you have heard it before please give others who haven't a chance:

A man was granted a wish by an angel. The man wished to see heaven and hell. The angel took the man and showed him hell first:

In hell the people had to sit back a meter from round tables laden with delicious foods. They only had 2-meter-long chopsticks with which to pick up the food. They could pick up the food but it was impossible to eat it. They were all starving and bitter.

Next the angel showed the man heaven. To the man's surprise the situation was exactly the same: The people sat back a meter from round banquet tables with only 2-meter-long chopsticks but everyone was heathy and happy.

Why?

They told us that story in Sunday school only instead of chopsticks they had silverware tied to their arms.

Mandle

Quote from: mkennedy on Sun 11/03/2018 03:15:49
They told us that story in Sunday school only instead of chopsticks they had silverware tied to their arms.

That's incredibly interesting because I believe the original riddle is from China and has its roots in Buddhism.

And I was actually thinking about it today and thought that the story wouldn't be viewed favorably by the Christian church as it presents heaven and hell as identical and that it is mankind that gets to decide if we live in torment or happiness, not some God with a big damnhammer.

Sounds like your Sunday school was doing a good job!

Stupot

Haha before I saw the explanation I thought I had it nailed. The phrase “2 meter long chopsticks” could be ambiguous:
Hell - they each had one chopstick that was two meters long. (Pretty useless, though I guess they could easily spear the food)
Heaven - they each had two chopstick that were a meter long. (Might be difficult but they could at least pick up the food and put it in each other's mouths)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi folks, long time no post... anyhoo I made up a riddle the other day, its perhaps a bit easy, but I thought to try it here,  can I post it or must I have solved the previous riddle to post a new one?

Cassiebsg

No need to have solved the previous, just post it. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi Cassie, okies thanks :)

I thought up this recently ,  but I think it might be a bit too easy so I will post my one and another riddle which is sort of based on a true story, peculiar mystery during the first war .

Ok my one first,

What has 6 corners, can weigh many tons yet when impacting on the ground from a height is silent?

And the other one is..

During the first world war commanders noticed an alarming number of soldiers dying due to heavy artillery bombardments, so they issued helmets to every solider. After some time the field hospitals reported a five fold increase in the number of cases of head injuries.
Can you account for that significant increase of head injuries?

fin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk