Fan-Work Games

Started by meadforspeed, Sat 02/02/2013 19:04:27

Previous topic - Next topic

meadforspeed

I recently ran in to an amazing 8-bit rendition of "Carry On My Wayward Son" by The Disco King (you should check it out here it's pretty awesome). This inspired me to create a kind of haunted-house-adventure-parody monstrosity based on the show Supernatural, which uses the song at the end of every season. My question, in roundabout sort of way: is that sort of thing frowned upon here? Fan-work related games? I mean besides matters of taste, the show obviously isn't everybody's cup of tea.

I'm not going to be making any money off of it, and I will be making all the graphics/music, and obviously the story will be my own, I just want to make sure that a thing like this wouldn't be seen as plagiarism, or some form of copyright shenanigans from people in the AGS community. I thought I should check before I posted something in the 'under development' section, or asked for critiques on my artwork, just to be sure.

Stupot

Do whatever you want Mead.  There have been surprisingly (or perhaps not) few AGS games based on films/TV shows, but there have been some (Saw springs to mind, not to mention a number of Indy Jones projects).  If you are going to make a game based on Supernatural, the chances of coming across any copyright issues are very very slim unless the game turns out to attract a lot of attention, so I wouldn't worry too much.

meadforspeed

Awesome! Thanks. I'm really excited about the project, but I didn't want to step on any toes!

Ghost

It's like fanfiction, but for gamers: You'll always entertain some and get boo'ed at by others. So technically making a game based on source material is the same as making a game  :)

Eggie

My only warning about posting stuff from a Supernatural fangame in the lounge is that I will be VERY hypercritical of attempts at rendering Jenson Ackles' face.
He's the most BEAUTIFUL! MAN! IN THE WORLD!

Anian

It would be cool to see a Supernatural game, though I haven't watched the series lately (I stopped around 6th season). The song is usually used in the final episode of the season as a "Story so far" part of intro, so might I suggest you use something like that at the beginning of the game, it'd seem like a natural intro I think.

Quote from: Eggie on Sun 03/02/2013 01:27:18
My only warning about posting stuff from a Supernatural fangame in the lounge is that I will be VERY hypercritical of attempts at rendering Jenson Ackles' face.
He's the most BEAUTIFUL! MAN! IN THE WORLD!
Well I wouldn't say that, but he does bring the comedic timing to the series. Still, just for you Eggie: LINK
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk