How would you implement this puzzle

Started by Andail, Thu 07/02/2013 17:47:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Yeah spoiler warning and all that.
Anyways.
You've come across a secret code, just a seemingly random sequence of numbers. But it's sent to someone you know is a chemist, so you suspect it's chemistry-related. 
The solution is that the numbers represent elements, and putting the symbols together gives you the message. Like:
57 10 = Lane (LaNe)

The thing is... how should I best let the player solve this? I could just leave it to the player to obtain a periodic table outside of the game, but s/he still needs to make the game know the code has been deciphered. The only way to do this properly would be to have a text box and a parser, where the player can type the answer and the game will check if it's correct.

The easy-mode version would be that the player finds a sheet with the periodic table in-game, then simply combines it with the code and the solution appears. This takes away some of the detective work, but it does fit better with future Ipad/Smartphone versions of the game (no typing involved). Or use an in-game keyboard?

Thoughts?

Also, do you think it would be enough if the character mentioned that the receiver of the code was a chemist, and that he needs to think of a language chemists know of? Would you think of checking a periodic table, or is it too contrived? Should I mention that the numbers (which are arranged in couples and an occasional single) might represent elements, or is that too easy?

Sane Co.

I think that adding a periodic table in game would be your best bet. This would allow the player to figure it out in the game without getting stuck on knowledge they might not have of the outside world. For the checking if it was correct, I think that you, if possible, shouldn't. If the player gets it right they will have the knowledge to create the game. If you absolutely must, you could use it as a computer password, or if it the name of someone a username, If they access the computer they can gain information such as a phone number that they wouldn't originally have, spurring on the story without you having to worry whether the puzzle was completed or not, because it was. This allows for you to check if the user is right without decreased immersion. I personally believe that for the ipad and or ipod example that an in game keyboard would suffice, as long as the code wasn't too long, unless you want to out of your way and create an actual easy mode.
    *EDIT*
Sorry I misunderstood, you are the one sending the code, right? In that case just have it be sent by email. If the code matches what it should be, have the story continue, but if it isn't have the chemist reply "I don't understand." or something along those lines.
Hope this helps
Sane Co.

Stupot

Would the periodic table be something they can only look at or will be be able to pick it up?  If they could pick it up you could have it so that they 'use' it with the computer(?), so that it opens up a room with the periodic table on it.  If this screen comes up with a text parser underneath it then it should be obvious to anyone who hadn't already cottoned on that the code represents the atomic numbers on the table.  You could alternatively make the table interactive so that rather than typing the letters, the player could click on the elements and build up the password that way.

Andail

Thanks, well maybe I should clarify.
You come across the code, and it's meant as a secret message to a third person. Before you have cracked the code, you won't contact the intended receiver. There are no computers or passwords involved.

I guess I could still let the player contact the receiver and have the protagonist say "I think I've cracked the code" and then the text box will appear.

CaptainD

I think both solutions you've mentioned are the obvious and "right" ones, it really depends on which market you want to reach.  I think most people would automatically think of the periodic table if they knew the code was from a scientist.

Ghost

Yeah, I'd also think of a periodic table first. OR probably something more personal related to the scientist (a project he's working on for example, which might also lead to the periodic table, already limited to a couple of elements).
And I'd rather have one in-game instead of having to browse the internet. I usually hate puzzles that require me, the player, to look something up outside of the game.

Anian

While it bothered me that extra puzzles were kind glued on to the old game, Broken Sword Dir. Cut actually had ok puzzles with letters and decription and it was made for touch devices, check out the beginging of this clip:
(SPOILER WARNING) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyBZmFoJc-8
And you can actually make it with various level of difficulty by revealing an element or two within the code or somewhere.

Although those solutions are for higher resolutions than you probably are prepearing, it still might be adaptable by a map-like (so you look at it and can move in certain direction to see the rest) overview of the periodic table. Then you can add some notes (like they began to correspond in codes so somebody wrote bits while trying to figure it out) on the sides of the Table so on the easier difficulty players have a hint.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

kaput

That sounds like a really cool puzzle.

What you could do, depending on the relevant location in the game (ie lab, study etc), is include a poster of the periodic table on a wall that on further inspection (look at), shows a close up of the periodic table. This way you don't need to explain why the main character would pick up a periodic table in the first place (which might be hard to justify). If the poster is hung on the wall in the same building, and it includes numbers on it, the average player would certainly cotton-on I think.

Good luck!
-SP

dactylopus

I like the previous idea of having the periodic table as a poster on the wall somewhere.

When you use the code on the periodic table, it could open up a new screen where you have to click on each element in the same sequence as the code, spelling out the message for you.  Successfully completing this could even convert the "code" item into a "message" item that you can give to the chemist.

Good idea for a puzzle!

Crimson Wizard

Why don't you use the way it is handled in Resonance or, IIRC, Nelly Cootalot? Like, when player 'uses' the note, a screen is divided into two parts: the 'encrypted' part displays the message, and 'decrypted' part is for user to either type in the solution by typing real keyboard, or, if you are worried about portable versions, using on-screen keyboard, provided in game.

Also, if player guesses the connection between the cypher and periodic table, and either picks the chart, or uses note on chart, there could be a "chart" icon displayed on the puzzle screen. Clicking on that will display chart on screen regardless of actual player's location (sort of reminder).

Vince Twelve

I agree that the Periodic Table needs to be in the game for the player to find.  I don't like puzzles that require anything outside-the-game information to solve.  I even put a calculator with a pi button into Resonance just so that a player who didn't know the first few digits of pi could connect two dots.

I think that, if adequately hinted at, it would be sufficient to have the code as an examine-able inventory item and the periodic table be a poster on a wall that you can examine.  Using code on poster could give a further hint ("Yeah, these MUST be related!") maybe even popping up a screen showing the code next to the periodic table for quick reference.  You could then drag the individual elements from the periodic table onto the paper with the code written on it.

Just an idea!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk