Gray (E3 version is here!)

Started by Fitz, Fri 30/11/2012 21:08:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

THE ALIEN INVASION HAS BEGUN

AND THEN... THE EASTER EGG EDITION HAS LANDED

(check the updates at the bottom of this post for details)

Fear and tremble, Mr. Zuckerberg, for Gray has raided Facebook

Meet Gray - an unbearably cute and insanely smart alien. Follow his unfortunate excursion to Planet Earth. Help him conquer Earth.

Uhh... Wait, no... Help him find his ship.

And THEN conquer Earth.

WHILE ON YOUR QUEST, YOU CAN:

- look at everything -- and learn things you never knew. Or never WANTED TO know.
- touch or grab everything -- only to learn it's futile at best, and also dangerous.
- talk to everyone - and everything! -- and get in some WEIRD arguments.
- use EVERYTHING on EVERYTHING -- and hear a detailed explanation of why exactly this particular combination makes no sense at all. Or is dangerous. Or STUPID.
- marvel at Gray walk on his lopsided legs
- learn how to cleanse your ears (and other orifices) properly
- face death -- and laugh it in the face. Or at least chuckle awkwardly...

THE GAME FEATURES

- a devious, yet lovable and cute main character
- a hick with itchy fingers
- an environment influenced by the time of the day
- duck hunting
- moth hunting
- pixel hunting
- Lo-Definition graphics in astounding 4C (four colors)
- surprising, astounding, scary and/or disgusting facts about all kinds of things
- over 20 original audio tracks
- unique responses to each action (mostly sarcastic in tone)
- over 3500 lines of dialogue (mostly monologue, actually)
- language versions: English, Polish -- and more coming up...

Profess your allegiance and love for the invader on Gray's facebook page

News update Dec 2, 2012:
- if anyone has problems unzipping the file, pm me and we'll try to figure it out.
- jesli ktos widzi krzaczki w polskiej wersji po zaladowaniu save'a zachowanego w wersji angielskiej - to na razie moge polecic po prostu zaczac gre od poczatku. Poprawie to, przetestuje - i jesli nic nie bedzie krzaczyc, to puszcze poprawiona wersje w tygodniu.
- if anyone experiences problems with Polish fonts after loading a save game from the English version - the only fix right now is to restart the game from scratch. I'll fix the issue within the week.

News update Feb 4, 2013:
- Gray is taking over Facebook. Check the site for updates, video-trivia and random stuff.
- planning to start on a German translation soon
- more extra content is being considered

News update April 5, 2013:

The Easter Egg Edition is here! You never knew it was coming -- and it's a week late. But look at it this way: a second wave of alien invasion is not something you'd see coming. Even when it's late. Oh well, let's say it's Easter 2014 Early Edition!

The Easter Egg Edition features:

- Easter eggs, obviously (that includes ACTUAL Easter Eggs)
- two new and fully interactive inventory item (and one of them is... yup, you guessed it!)
- lots of bugs -- such as bees, termites, fireflies, a moth, and mosquitos
- a free pass to places you had no access to, before
- a possibility of Gray dying instant death in some of those places (so... make friends with F5)
- Gray's rise to power -- and the subsequent fall (may or may not include death)
- Gray getting rich (or dying trying)
- uncomfortable questions he was afraid to ask -- finally asked (and guess what?)
- new old cutscenes -- same stories, but each with a little twist (the intro will asstound you!)

The Easter Egg mode is off by default, so that those new to the game could have a fun, safe, straightforward game experience. If that is at all possible with Gray.

How do you turn the Easter Egg mode ON, then? If you're super hardcore adventure gamer -- you'll find your way. For normal, sane people, here's a little poem:

Keep going east, although it's hard
Or pr*ss a butt*n right *t the st*rt
Press it again - and holiday's end

Download the Easter Egg Edition HERE

(in case you were wondering about the 23Kb/s download speed -- MediaFire is eerily slow tonight, hope it gets better!)

Tramponline

Yay! Was so looking forward to this one!

Congrats on the release, Fitz!

Gonna give Gray a try right away...

Tabata

Congratulations on your release, Fitz!

It is hard to believe that this is the first adventure game by Fitz. 

I love this little smart asses Gray, who has to tell a lot about everything. The graphics in only four! colors  :shocked: are very well done and give you a real retro feeling and the animations are incredibly cute and tons of very well fitting sounds (often sooo funny) and unique music and ...

It is a must play! (nod)

... and I recommend you first to try all the "wrong" options (not to miss anything)  (laugh) - there are so beautiful reactions - it was a real big fun testing it.

Wishing you all lots of fun to play
and wish for us all that Fitz will go on with game making ... SOOOON.   :grin:

NickyNyce

Another AGS invasion, long live the aliens!!!

Tabata hit the nail on the head, this game is all the above. Hard to believe it's your first game Fitz, well done!!

Fun and unique puzzles with lots of well written and funny dialogue. My favorite are all the cool little animations that Fitz put into this, nice and polished release.

Enjoy everyone, and thank you Fitz for letting the world see this one for free, I salute you!

Frodo

This looks wonderful.  The wee alien is so cute.   :cheesy:

*downloading now*

EDIT:  I keep getting errors when I try to unzip it.  Downloaded it several times, but I still get errors.   :cry:
I'll try again tomorrow.

m0ds

Fantastic, downloading and playing v. soon! Nice one getting it released

Armageddon

Congratz on finishing!

Miguel R. Fervenza

Congratulations and thanks for the game. Epic intro! I'm totally stuck right in the beginning (two screens, two objects, a few hotspots... dammit!).

Squinky

So far, the game is wonderful. Love the music. I've barely started it though...Man, aliens are a little long winded eh?

KiraHaraReturns

gratuluje i pozdrawiam, czcionka literowa niestety nie zawiera polskich znakow, co do gry, utknalem na samym poczatku, swietny klimat i bede probowal nadal
congratulations and greetings, unfortunately the polish translation doesn't work properly, I'm stuck at the beginning, but i will keep on trying. Great job

Fitz

Tramponline: Thanks :) I actually still can't help but be pleasantly shocked that people were actually following this one, given the scarce updates and few screens. Must be Gray's general cudliness. I think I might want start making plush Gray toys ;)

Tabata: Let me take a breather here ;) This one took me 2 years and 3 months to make. If I make anything anytime soon, it's going to be something short and sweet. Maybe a MAGS?

NickyNyce: Of course I had to make it free. It's crucial that the game reaches as many people as possible. AND MAKES THEM MY ZOMBIE SLAVES! MRAHAHAHAAAA! ;)

Frodo: I sent you a pm asking for details. I'll try to help you sort it out one way or another :)
M0ds: Thanks! Does Gray apply for AdventureX this year? Last time I checked the deadline for entries was Dec 10. So would you have us? :) I mean, just Gray, I myself am too far away, unfortunately.

Armageddon: Thanks! Let's have a cigar now, shall we?

David Holm: I myself have seen the intro more than a hundred times -- and yet the music never fails to just blow me away :) Wait till you hear the outro tune! And as for the puzzle you're stuck in: one major hint i can give you is... conversations. You can talk to EVERYTHING, not just people :)

Squinky: Oh yes, this little alien is very verbose. There's one monologue that fills up 1/3 of the screen (by moderate estimate). Gray takes a LOT after me. When there's a topic I know something about. it's hard to shut me up ;)

Kirahara: Dzieki wielkie! Nie wiedzialem, ze tyle tu swojakow :) Check my reply to David above for hints on that puzzle. As far as the font is concerned... That's weird, I tested the game on multiple computers and never had that problem. What does it look like? Like # * $ & and stuff instead of Polish letters? I only had it happen if I first started the English version, saved a game, then opened the Polish version and loaded the savegame. But that usually went away if I just started a new game. If all else fails, just reinstall the game and choose Polish in Winsetup from the start.

Also if anyone gets stuck, don't hesitate to ask or pm me :) OR you could start a new thread in Hints and Tips! If Gray doesn't get one, I have failed ;)

Igor Hardy

Hey big congrats!

Which should I rather play - the English or the Polish version?

EDIT: What a wonderfully stylish opening sequence! And top notch animation in general.

Fitz

Try the Polish one first :) It's a translation, but I think it stays pretty faithful most of the time. Although some puns/cultural references were so hard to translate or too obscure for the Polish player that I had to improvise. But I hope it doesn't feel half-assed. I took a couple of weeks to translate and three days, 8 hours each, to just re-read it :)

No i Kirihara mi tu melduje, że czcionki polskie nie dziaÅ,ajÄ... - i chcÄ™ siÄ™ upewnić, czy u innych tego nie ma. Bo ani mnie, ani testerom siÄ™ to nie zdarzyÅ,o (poza cross-overem: save w angielskiej, odczyt w polskiej).

Igor Hardy

W intro polska czcionka dziaÅ,a - potem już nie.

Frodo

Fitz & Tabata 

Thanks very much for your PMs, and trying to help me sort out the problem.  I replied to you both.   :smiley:

Fitz

My fellow Polish AGS-ers are having trouble with the Polish fonts once the actual game starts (after the intro). The quickest fix seems to be skipping the intro by pressing Esc. It's the first time I've encountered this problem - but I'm looking into it.

Rodacy! W razie problemów z czcionkami po tym, jak siÄ™ intro skoÅ,,czy - na razie wyglÄ...da na to, że jeÅ›li przerwać intro za pomocÄ... Esc, to potem czcionki dziaÅ,ajÄ... prawidÅ,owo. Nie wiem jeszcze, w czym problem, pierwszy raz siÄ™ z problemem spotykam (a testowane byÅ,o na kilku komputerach, w tym nawet przez moich testerów zagranicznych, na wszelki wypadek) - ale bÄ™dÄ™ pracowaÅ, nad tym dalej.

Frodo's problem with unzipping the file might stem from her using 7zip to unzip it. It might help to use WinRAR instead.

KiraHaraReturns

@Maciek
problem z czcionka pojawia sie rzeczywiscie po wczytaniu zapisu gry z angielskiej wersji, mianowicie w ta gralem najpierw, a pozniej korzystalem z zapisu, startujac polska wersje, bez wczytywania, tego problemu nie ma

Frodo

Um... I already told you in my PM, I tried 7zip AND winwar.   :undecided:

Quote from: Fitz on Sat 01/12/2012 12:47:26
Frodo's problem with unzipping the file might stem from her using 7zip to unzip it. It might help to use WinRAR instead.

Fitz

Frodo: Oops, my bad! 5 hours of sleep = short memory and lack of focus :) Sending You a link to audio.vox now. If anyone else has a problem with the files, pm me (not to clog this thread) and if it's something that hasn't been previously mentioned, I will post about it.

KiraHara: Uff! Tak myÅ›laÅ,em, ale Ascovel miaÅ, to samo - wiÄ™c zgÅ,upiaÅ,em. A teraz i u niego w porzÄ...dku, wiÄ™c... w porzÄ...dku :D

arj0n

Gratz on this awesome release, Fitz!
It was such a pleasure testing this retro gem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk