AGS engine Mac OS X port

Started by JanetC, Mon 10/12/2012 19:12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JanetC

Well, my baby is at her grandmothers for the day so I finally got a chance to try this! But it didn't work :(

It seemed to work, but when I try to use Github for Mac to commit changes, it commits them and then doesn't remove the commit from the list of unsynced commits. When I try to commit again, it gives me this error message:

! [rejected]        humble-ports -> humble-ports (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@github.com:JanetGilbert/ags.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart.

If I instead try using the terminal, I get a different error after using git push:

error: The requested URL returned error: 403 while accessing https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git/info/refs
fatal: HTTP request failed

(the password and user name I supplied to git push were correct)

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Janet

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: JanetC on Tue 07/01/2014 20:58:34
Error like this indicates that there were changes to remote that are not found in your local branch. Don't know how it happened to be. Maybe you have two local repositories, or something like that?
On usual occasion this is solved by making a "git pull" before doing anything else.

If I instead try using the terminal, I get a different error after using git push:

error: The requested URL returned error: 403 while accessing https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git/info/refs

Which address do you use in git command? It should be just "https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git" instead.

JanetC

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 07/01/2014 23:44:54
Error like this indicates that there were changes to remote that are not found in your local branch. Don't know how it happened to be. Maybe you have two local repositories, or something like that?
On usual occasion this is solved by making a "git pull" before doing anything else.

No, no local changes. "git pull" responds that there are no changes.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 07/01/2014 23:44:54

Which address do you use in git command? It should be just "https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git" instead.

I did exactly what you suggested in your post above. I don't know where the "info/refs" came from.

Crimson Wizard

I suddenly realized you said push. This probably means you are trying to push your branch to Edward's repository instead of your own...

EDIT: actually nevermind this, see updated section below.
Spoiler

The command should be (assuming you used same names as in my example few posts above)
Code: bash

git push origin humble-ports

Just tested this on my own repository.
[close]

UPD:
Ok, I found what was also wrong in previous commands. We should set proper connection between local branch and remote branch, so that your local is connected with your remote, and not with Edward's remote.
Anytime after you created a local branch, you can change the connection with:
Code: bash

git branch --set-upstream humble-ports origin/humble-ports

This will make your local branch connect exactly to the appropriate branch in your remote repository (and not to Edward's). Also you will not have to use extra options with "push" (e.g. after this you can use just "git push").

There might be a way to do this using your gui application (probably somewhere in the repository settings).

JanetC

Thanks, CrimsonWizard! That worked.

Crimson Wizard

I think we may combine few problems together into a larger "patch Allegro" one. There are number of patches that may be beneficial for AGS, including OSX support and resizing window. I think the solution could be to clone official Allegro repository, make a new branch and apply patches there. If this will be done, we may then refer version builders to this branch instead of official Allegro repository (for windows version we may remove precompiled libraries from repository and use this branch too).

Maybe there's someone who would like to try this out?

s_d

I think I will take a whack at this after I finish the build/packaging VM for Linux builds.  Maybe I'll have better luck than refactoring the audio API :X

One group I'm working with (which has, indeed, consumed nearly all of my time for engine fiddling) is going to need a Mac port pretty soon.  I'll be going with the Humble branch for their release, but it will be so good to have that stuff in the main branch someday.

Crimson Wizard

Humble Bundle is going a strange way, for OSX & Linux (I think) they are putting parts of SDL2 under Allegro 4 to serve as a hidden backend.
Although I understand that Wadjet Eye needs a working result any way, I don't like where this is going. I don't think their work will help AGS much :(.

BigMc

I thought SDL2 is just used for audio there and their port of Allegro 4 to OS X would still be useful?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigMc on Tue 18/03/2014 19:04:55
I thought SDL2 is just used for audio there and their port of Allegro 4 to OS X would still be useful?
No, I just mean that their latest additions does not give us much benefit. I am speaking of the changes made last week to Janet's repository. I see Edward is making more SDL2 "injections" in allegro.
I wish these were changes to AGS code instead, but oh well. :tongue:

Gabarts

Sorry if I ask, especially if it's been already discussed.

Is possible to compile our games for Mac Osx? I mean for playing only, not editing. Thanks

Crimson Wizard

Sorry, wrong, post deleted.

Mehrdad

Is any news for MAC port? Is it in WIP ?
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

sonneveld

Quote from: Mehrdad on Mon 05/10/2015 06:39:11
Is any news for MAC port? Is it in WIP ?

It's on my list to at least get an automated build going soon of what's there. There's been a few port efforts that I probably need to look through.

Any there any ports that I don't know of?

Crimson Wizard

Our engine should build for Mac, unless something was broken, but it is only compatible with older versions:
Quote from: BigMc on Tue 11/12/2012 20:39:33
It works up to Mac OS X 10.6 and Allegro 4.4 was released before Mac OS X 10.7, so that information is probably outdated.

E: Since we now have an automation server, one of the options could be making a pull request that combines Janet's Humble Bundle port (not their pull request, but the most up-to-date version, I think this: https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/commits/humble-ports) and our current master.
The pull request will never be meant for actual merging (at least not until removing precompiled binaries), but it could serve for automatic building working OSX port.

sonneveld

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 05/10/2015 09:27:33
The pull request will never be meant for actual merging (at least not until removing precompiled binaries), but it could serve for automatic building working OSX port.
First step is to have the automation server produce osx builds :)  Sooon!

Mehrdad

CW and sonneveld
Thank you for pointing that out.I'm waiting for your great news.
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

JanetC

What bugs do we currently have on Wadjet Eye's Mac games and installers? I'm making a list for fixing. Have they been fixed in the latest version of the official engine?

Nine Toes

I see there's some recent activity regarding this. I came back to the forums after a very long hiatus, and my issue is that I no longer own a Windows machine, so I'm very interested in the status of this.

What's the long and short of it? Is there a version of the editor that I can use on Yosemite currently?
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Nine Toes on Mon 28/12/2015 00:25:01
What's the long and short of it? Is there a version of the editor that I can use on Yosemite currently?

This particular thread never touched Editor; it is dedicated to porting AGS engine to OSX (as stated in the title).

Engine status: there is a Mac port by Wadjet Eye that can play games made with AGS 3.2.1 and lower. It is practically possible to update it to more contemporary version of engine, but it will take some work. Last time I heard about this, Janet Gilbert from WE wanted to hire programmer again to do this; also Nick Sonneveld mentioned plans to help them, but I do not personally track the progress in that area at the moment.

Editor status: there were talks about moving to Mono (as Editor is a C# program), but number of Editor parts still have dependencies on Windows runtime libraries, and it is unknown if anyone works on this.

I also heard that you may run Editor on Mac using some wrapper, but I am not a Mac person, so cannot help you here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk