AGS engine Mac OS X port

Started by JanetC, Mon 10/12/2012 19:12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

I'm interested in checking this out, but before delving in the complexities of OSX development I'd really like to see an AGS executable at work.

I've found that the Engine OSX branch on the AGS Team City successfully compiles but produces no artifacts. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps someone could enable it?
Conversely the code in Janet's repo is somewhat newer but doesn't include a build.

Can someone give me a hand please? I think I could probably set up a team city account, include a fork of Janet's repo, and have it automatically build that; but somebody else has probably already done that? TIA!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 06/02/2017 19:50:54
I'm interested in checking this out, but before delving in the complexities of OSX development I'd really like to see an AGS executable at work.

I've found that the Engine OSX branch on the AGS Team City successfully compiles but produces no artifacts. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps someone could enable it?
Conversely the code in Janet's repo is somewhat newer but doesn't include a build.

I suggest contacting Janet or Nick Sonneveld directly, they do not seem to come on forums very often, but they are probably only people that may shed some light on this.

BTW, from what I noticed, Janet's version may be compatible only to AGS 3.3.5.

Radiant

All right, I can do that.

But can you tell me why artifacts are disabled for OSX on Teamcity? That would be an easy place to get a sample executable, otherwise.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 06/02/2017 20:13:16
But can you tell me why artifacts are disabled for OSX on Teamcity? That would be an easy place to get a sample executable, otherwise.
Um... no idea. Also it was built 3 months ago last time, which makes me think that it was excluded from work at some point.

I have a suspicion that it does not produce a working universal engine, but you have to build an application for every your game separately.

Radiant

Could we switch it on and try?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 06/02/2017 20:41:33
Could we switch it on and try?
It was scheduled to run on machine that is no longer available. That could be one the Nick Sonneveld's private computer, or some server he owned.

JanetC

Anyone who wants to build for Mac, check out the port Nick Sonneveld did for Wadjet Eye!

JanetGilbert/ags
Branch: osx-nick

Radiant

Quote from: JanetC on Wed 08/02/2017 18:08:34
Anyone who wants to build for Mac, check out the port Nick Sonneveld did for Wadjet Eye!

Thank you, I have found the git branch but I'm wondering if a compiled executable is on the web somewhere.

JanetC

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 08/02/2017 21:56:56
Quote from: JanetC on Wed 08/02/2017 18:08:34

Thank you, I have found the git branch but I'm wondering if a compiled executable is on the web somewhere.

No, you have to compile it yourself! Sorry!

Mehrdad

Hi
Isn't any manual step by step for compile to Mac OS ? I haven't knowledge for use from Github .

Much appreciate for any help
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

JanetC

Quote from: Mehrdad on Thu 09/03/2017 15:15:16
Hi
Isn't any manual step by step for compile to Mac OS ? I haven't knowledge for use from Github .

Much appreciate for any help

It works in much the same way as the iOS version, described here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52219.0

(That is a little outdated now but it should provide a starting point.)

Note that Nick changed the way that projects work so now you add a new scheme to the existing project, rather than copying and renaming a project.

Mehrdad

Thanks a lot Janet . I'll try it and get helps by my friends and this topic if was any serious question .
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

edmundito

Hello, I'm trying to make a build with the Mac port again and I forgot all the steps. I ran into an issue with patching allegro:

cd OSX/buildlibs
make

I get the error:
"patch: **** malformed patch at line 1874: diff --git a/src/ios/idrivers.c b/src/ios/idrivers.c"

When I look in OSX/buildlibs/build/allegro-4.4.2/src, there is no "ios" directory. I also looked at the allegro source and the tag "4.4.2" and there was no "ios" directory.

I see a comment from Nick in the Makefile:
"# - to update patch: git diff 4.4.2..osx-update > ../ags/OSX/patches/allegro-4.4.2.patch"

Is there a step I am missing?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

vga256

Edmundito,

Did you have any luck building a Mac port? Which version of Xcode are you using?

I'm running 9.1 and it's complaining about a lot of missing frameworks (CoreVideo, Cocoa, etc) from the osx-nick branch. Could use some help getting this off the ground.

Thanks!

edmundito

I was able to make a build with 3.4.1 but it was not easy and not perfect. It seems that the game runs for now, we are testing to see where it breaks.

I've detail the current instructions here, you will need to be familiar with Xcode, Make, etc. Please follow them step by step:

https://gist.github.com/edmundito/4cc578f6eee51db7d20882cfa222b015

In summary:
- The OSX project is outdated with ags 3.4.1 but may work with ~3.4.0.13
- Some hacking needs to be done to make it work
- Allegro needs to be repatched properly to support ags 3.4.1

I recommend trying with v.3.4.0.13 or a later master hash 911fa50e7d19ea03629523bac952af5dc1b18453, I had luck making a build with around the part of the code last year. If you can get it to work then I would try v.3.4.0.16 which is the latest tag.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

vga256

Thanks so much for the build instructions - I'm going to try these out today and see how far I get. The Xcode branch has always been extremely fragile and difficult to patch/build plugins for - I'll let you know what my results are.

Update: Ah, I had forgotten to 'make install' the buildlib folder. Again, I'm using the osx-nick branch, so 99% of the work was already done for me.

Radiant

Ok, I'm giving this a spin now, following Edmundito's instructions.

The step "make the libraries" fails. If I then do a checkout to v.3.4.0.13 and make again, it again fails. The error I'm getting is 'QuickTime/QuickTime.h' file not found.

Any advice on how to proceed from here please?

(edit) wait, I thought this was El Capitan but it turns out to be High Sierra. SDK 10.11 did the trick. The make process throws a lot of warnings but nothing stands out as problematic.

(edit edit) nope. I cheeck out to master again; replace the file.c file; remove the patch line from the Makefile and make again. This doesn't work. The two errors are cannot find interface declaration for NSQuickDrawView, superclass of llegroView; and unknown type name CGDirectPaletteRef. Maybe I should just try building 3.4.0 instead of the latest AGS version?

(edit edit edit) ignoring the above error, I open Xcode. First I get two errors to "change to recommended settings", which I allow. Now I get eight 'multiple build commands' warnings which don't seem important, and an allegro.h file not found (in draw.h)...

Radiant

Ok, it seems the AGSKit project cannot find the library files, and the ags project cannot find the header files. Adding these to the search paths in the respective xcode targets seem to help, but perhaps there's a better way than doing this manually?

I'm now getting a file not found on alplatf.h; looking through the folder there's an alplatf.h.cmake file which appears to be a proper C header; I'm not sure where the .cmake part comes from, maybe allegro didn't properly build?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 26/12/2017 13:56:03
I'm now getting a file not found on alplatf.h; looking through the folder there's an alplatf.h.cmake file which appears to be a proper C header; I'm not sure where the .cmake part comes from, maybe allegro didn't properly build?

Don't know anything about OSX build, but I know that alplatf.h is supposed to be generated if you run cmake script.

Radiant

Yes, most .h files appear to be generated but not this one...

(edit) I basically conclude that the trick with getting file.c from sourceforge causes Allegro to not build. If I skip this step, then Allegro does build, but it appears to not cmake the proper header files. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk