A redesign of the AGS site is now ready to be implemented! Please help us with art and content.

Author Topic: AGS engine Mac OS X port  (Read 94880 times)

eri0o

Re: AGS engine Mac OS X port
« Reply #240 on: 08 Jul 2021, 13:08 »
@Dualnames, which wrapper? I think your game will only work in the Allegro4 version of the Engine - the SDL engine for now has conflicts with plugins that also use SDL.

There was a change how the Mac port find games (it will look in the place it was passed on command line and where the engine is), so how EXACTLY is the structure of your .app directory? And what is the entry point you wrote in your info.plist (it needs the game here) ? I think ags will search for plugins where the engine is and not the game.

Unfortunately the pastebin is not that useful since AGS doesn't print where it's looking for the plugins...
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2021, 14:05 by eri0o »

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
    • Dualnames worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Dualnames worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #241 on: 08 Jul 2021, 19:33 »
The wrapper is the one TheVolumeRemote provided. The dylibs are present in the resource folder with the .ags file.
No more military army stuff. I'm alive and back.

eri0o

« Reply #242 on: 08 Jul 2021, 20:39 »
Can you place the plugins where ags Engine is located instead? It should then load them. I think the name of the directory is MacOS/ .

Hobbes

• Swashbuckler
AGS engine Mac OS X port
« Reply #243 on: 09 Jul 2021, 01:51 »
Hi Dualnames, I've got a Mac running Big Sur 11.4, so happy to help out if you send me the files?

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
    •  
« Reply #244 on: 12 Jul 2021, 17:38 »
Hobbes couldn't get it to work, any other takers?

Here's his reply, I hope it's okay for me to post it here:

Just to let you know I'm still trying to make this happen... the first issue I had, after downloading the app, is that MacOS was keen to tell me I didn't have permission to open the app. I used the two terminal instructions listed on this page (which had the same issue for someone else with another downloaded app) to fix that.

However, the game still won't run. I tried to load it into my own compiled container (which runs my games and others without issues). So I think there's something in your game that's currently broken in the core MacOS port for AGS. As far as I can see, no error log is being generated by the MacOS version that I can trace?

I'm a bit stuck as to how to help you further with this. Could it be the Steam plugin that's running whilst Steam isn't part of this game? Or the video file? I think multiple tests might be the way forward until this can be sorted?

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
    •  
« Reply #245 on: 19 Jul 2021, 05:52 »
I got it working guys!

Hobbes

• Swashbuckler
AGS engine Mac OS X port
« Reply #246 on: 19 Jul 2021, 11:29 »
Oooh, good news, congrats! Was it something MacOS-port related? I'm curious to hear what the issue was in the end?

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
    •  
« Reply #247 on: 23 Jul 2021, 00:48 »
So here are my two cents. This takes about 2-3 days to get a hold off. Imho, as I did on Linux, try googling every step and try to hold off your frustration. The more one fails the more they realize how an OS works. After grasping that everything else comes into place. The issue on my case was that the custom plugin Strangeland uses had its dependencies wrongfully set.

For future reference if you ever have trouble of a plugin loading.

Code: [Select]
otool -L dylibnamehereorlocationifnotonthefolderthedylibisat
Will show dependencies.

Code: [Select]
install_name_tool -change old new file
Will change a dependency.