Cleveland 1968

Started by Baron, Mon 24/12/2012 04:54:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Cleveland 1968

Background:  My aunt & uncle tell a thrilling yarn about how they stole their parents' (my grandparents) car when they were teens.  I know, I know: with role-models like this, it's amazing I turned out to be the jovial and law-abiding Untersturmführer you have all come to know and love.  Anyway, the legend of my aunt & uncle's exploit has grown with the telling, and has become fused in my mind with various other family lore and what I understand life was like in the 1960s to create a kind of quasi-historic fictional episode that demands telling in adventure game format.  For Christmas 2012 it was decided that the extended family would share virtual gifts relating our hopes or hobbies, so motive met opportunity and I created the game.

The Game:  It's just a joke game made in about 2 weeks, but there is almost 10 minutes of game play involving 2-3 puzzles depending on how you count.  Voice actors are all in the family and attempt to mimic the mannerisms of the main protagonists.  This would be more funny if you knew the people involved, but since the dialog is almost incomprehensible due to the 60s lingo I assume others might find it somewhat amusing after all.  Anyway, right click is for looking, left click is for interacting or moving.  Here's the download link:

DOWNLOAD NOW

As this isn't a real game I'm not going to add it to the database, so you'll have to give any feedback here.

Also, I realise that lots of people can't be arsed to download a joke game so here's a playthrough on YouTube:

YOUTUBE PLAYTHROUGH

The sound quality isn't the best after compression, but you get the gist.  Anyway, enjoy!

Ponch

Far out, man. This thing looks like a real happenin'. It's marvey, cat. I'm dowloading this funky trip now, dig?

EDIT: It's like an excitement vibe just floated my groove!  :cheesy:

Tabata

Awwww ...
A present with flowerpower - a cute idea!

Thanks for sharing!

Goldmund

Haha I love the old folks' room decor. Far out, dude!

an Urpney

I hoped for some Torso Killer story : )
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Two weeks... yah I can dig it, it's right on.

Baron

Thanks for all the positive feedback, cats.  I was apprehensive about the lack of game-play because the target audience aren't gamers by any contortion of the imagination, so I'm glad it was enjoyable if only for a short time.

Fun Facts: The decor is all based on interviews with my dad, since I felt it important to recreate his childhood home as accurately as possible.  Everything from the crummy panelling in the basement to the "piles of crap everywhere" in the bedroom aspires to be historically authentic.  The outside of the house is actually derived from a screenshot I was able to take using Google Earth streetview of the original family home.  The budgie belonged to a neighbourhood kid -apparently all it could say was "zip up your zipper Ronny", which was a useful reminder when the kid was 5 but apparently quite embarrassing when he was older.  And grandma (bless her) always did use WAYYYYYY to much hairspray.  She was like a can-a-day lady!

Ghost

Loverly, baron. A really cool motivation to make a game, and especially nice that the game's turned out so charming, too! Short, yes, but absolutely enjoyable.

I found the font a bit hard to read, but that's probably just me wearing glasses instead of a monocle.

vertigoaddict

This made the voice in my head talk ssslowwly with brief, pauses, AT, every, word XD

Good job ^_^

TheBitPriest

I liked it.   A great idea for a Christmas present!  I like the idea of including a hint interface. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk