Pub Master Quest -The Adventure of 2-

Started by Icey, Tue 01/01/2013 04:41:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Pub Master Quest -The Adventure of 2-

Download now!

It's 2012 in the world of Senpah, people are still fighting in foolish wars as their world crumbles beneath them. Dave, child of courage has risen up to save the world from the evil Troll Lord. Can he save the world in time before everything is consumed into Oblivion?

*Note this game has absolutely nothing to do with the other PMQ games I make/made. This game sorta follows the events of the real world in 2012.*

OG

Hey icey, damn good effort here! People can mock you all they like but you really pushed the boat out with this game. The graphics, choice of music and story are pretty good ;).

There are many typo's and game breaking bugs though. Get a tester or helper, Sort them out and re-upload is my suggestion. Nice work regardless.

Icey

Thanks man, I really tried to go all out with this game seen how it's one of my Square Effect titles but I wanted to keep it simple so I could finish it within a month.

As for the bugs part, I have to make a run through again myself so I can fix a bunch of things and add the character animations. But I will try to contact the few that helped me in the start.

My biggest hopes for this game is too get some of those rating cups that all the other cool games have X3

Peder 🚀

This was actually beta tested, only problem is the build tested was an earlier build and the final build never got sent to us who tested.

Congrats Icey, I've downloaded the game already from the MAGS thread, I'll see if I can make some time to report any more bugs (OG, if you haven't already, why don't you send a bug report yourself to Icey with the bugs and grammar mistakes you found? ;))

Icey

Thanks Peder.

And yeah OG if you want to that'll help. :) I gotta go back and edit the credit at the end of the game so I'll add you. And my bad Peder, I didn't mean to come off and make it seem like you guys didn't do your if that's how I made it sound ;)

I sorta ran out of time and there was so much left to do on my part I wouldn't of had been able to get the game to you guys fast enough.

OG

Yep, I'd be quite happy to do that. I'll get back to you when I can with a log.

Grim

Well, I've never really played any of your games... Downloading to this one to see what it's all about;)

Icey

really, well I hope you like this one.

LimpingFish

Well, I've played it.

Good news! Icey actually had a plan this time, the end result of which is a coherence that his previous games have sorely lacked.

That's some positive feedback, Icey. If you're happy with that, then don't read the hidden text below.

Spoiler

Bad news!...

DEEP BREATH!

1. While it may have been beta-tested, it was clearly not proofread. Grammar/spelling/punctuation errors are rife throughout, resulting in dialog that sometimes borders on the unintelligible.

2. Dawn is a cypher, existing for little reason other than to explain the plot. Switching between Dawn and Dave is never used to actually do anything. Never. Not. Once.

3. Gameplay consists of entirely of walking. Until...

4. The most boring JRPG battle imaginable. Three attacks, which all have a similar outcome, are clicked until enough numbers have risen from the enemies head to trigger the final cut-scene. I'm convinced that this battle cannot be lost, and that it makes no difference what you click during it.

5. The game ends on a cliffhanger. Almost as if Icey had lost interest by that point.

6. It's more of the same.

[close]

Well done!

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

Thanks LF, I must admit that there is a good reason for everything but I can sum it all up with time. But hopefully if you play v2.0 it'll be bit better. ;)

Monsieur OUXX

I'm currently proof-reading the game, which was rushed because it was originally a MAGS entry.
It will be re-released soon.

LimpingFish

Quote from: icey games on Wed 02/01/2013 03:43:59
But hopefully if you play v2.0 it'll be bit better. ;)

A faster walking speed, text that can be clicked through, and a much shorter end battle. These changes, along with the proofreading, will help. There still won't be anything to do in the game, other than walk, unless you have drastic plans to alter the gameplay.

It's a shame that you couldn't actually add a real point to the character switching, because it has potential.

I will play the new version, though. Believe it or not, I've played every game you've put out, in most cases to completion.

And now I'm going to cry.

But before that, your end-credit sequence mentions "Sound by Ghost". I didn't hear any sound effects, though I did hear music. Are there sound effects in the game?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

Ok, I can add that stuff into the game. I'll see what I could do to make the battles a bit more interesting.
There is a puzzle idea I would like to add to the game so I'm still working on that.

The way the story worked out I could of utilized the switching idea more but well, once again, time.

I plan to release a extra part of the game to the next update. It'll be like a little side story and it will utilize the features a lot more. But it can only be accessed on your second play through.

Also that's a surprise but it still means something to see that you played all my games even though when I look back at most of them and can say they were rubbish. XD

Also the sounds, ghost gave me the sounds but I couldn't put them into the game in time. You will here one sound effect but that's cause that was something I had put into the game at the start of development.

Khris

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 02/01/2013 23:48:20There still won't be anything to do in the game, other than walk
This, and the rest of your post: my thoughts exactly.
It's cargo cult game design, a potemkin village.
Only the window dressing gets more elaborate each time.
And suddenly making the speech non-skippable, WHY? I only played till the end because I wanted to see that troll battle in action, otherwise I'd have alt-xed out of this faster than Life Partner Ray closing a boobie popup.

Regarding the battle:
Spoiler
Casting the first spell will always make Dawn increase your attack value by 3, since there is zero randomization in the battle. Just cast that ten to fifteen times right from the start, and it'll be over much quicker.
[close]
Also, the credits. It's like you're itching to put people in there, to pretend you were like working together with lots of cool people or something. I didn't do anything to help you with the bug, I had only been calling you code-tarded at the time I was put in there. You even added this to the games database!? I'll wear it proudly. (wtf)

selmiak

after all these comments here I decided to give it a try. Yeah, the buzz is the advertisment and I'm adding to it with this post ;)
the game looks nice, quite some effort was put into it but it seriously lacks puzzles and/or things to do besides walking from A to B. This is a rather naive gameplay...

and I just came from the troll thingy on the snowy mountain, went to the lux bridge, rightclicked it and the crashed:
in room13.asc line 56
error: new room: cannot run this command since there is a NewRoom already queued to run.
meh!

how did you do the snow?

Icey

So what the game has some bugs that only come up every now and then. The room switching function is the same as the others with little tweaking. But still that's not good.

And khris, I. Just feel liked you helped with a major part that stund the game. It may seem basic and even though I got through the problem on my own. You still helped me slove another problem. Now about the battle system. I'm sure if anyone played pmq legendsv5.0 beta when I posted it in that thread or simply follow the post I make in my thread then not only you but everyone would understand why it works the way it does. There is no battle setup, your thrown right into a new and simple battle design. In PMQ legends, you setup a list of of 5 actions each memebr can use in battle. You can only use two memebers in battles. Actions of the ai member are linked to the players actions judging by the list setup. When select attack, the action of the ai player follows up after and let's say they had fire equpied to cast one. Ex: dawn would cast fire magic.

Grim

I played it the other night and here's my thoughts:

positives: nice graphics, you are definitely learning and improving and I think you should maybe focus on this skill in the future? More animation and more varied backgrounds would make for a more interesting game, that's for sure. I'd recommend joining some digital art community (like conceptart.org) and opening a sketchbook there- I did it in the past and learned a LOT of useful stuff. I was impressed with the interface (alpha sprites in GUI's - well done!, solid save system, and nice use of shadows for characters!)- I realise most of this was plugins and modules written by other people, but to make good use of these you also need to have some coding knowledge. It's not as easy as it seems, and the guys who are clever enough to write those don't always understand that it can be a challenge for a relative beginner to use them. The game has a decent structure and introduction. Oh, and the music is great!;)

negatives: well... like others said already, there is no gameplay here. That I could accept to some degree, having played and enjoyed games like Dear Esther I can easily adjust to unusual ideas as long as they serve some kind of purpose. Here they don't, really. I had no idea what was going on. I assumed it will get explained later, but the non-skippable text totally killed it for me... You, my friend, have made the biggest mistake any game maker can make, by not allowing players to skip through the speech quickly!!! No matter how proud you feel about your writing, you should ALWAYS give players an option to skip, because some of us simply read faster than others, and the rest of the time they have to spend staring at the wall. Not cool. In your next game, make sure you remember about this. As a matter of fact, you should write a big note right now: SKIPPING SPEECH, and stick it on the wall above your computer. Without it, no one will ever enjoy your games.

I got as far as the little dude outside the house on the hill and had to alt+x... Sorry. It was too slow and nothing was happening. I wanted to give it a good try but by that point... I had enough. That's not to say it's a terrible game, because there's definitely something there- that young man's passion to create something and show it to the world, I can totally understand that and fully approve of it. My advice to you: keep doing what you're doing, but make sure to apply changes to areas we keep pointing you at, to progress. Personally, I'd like to see you make a game that isn't about saving the world and bollocks like that, but something I could relate to, something more down to earth... I think I've told you this before, but I think you should draw inspiration from your own life and things that happen to you/ you hear from people. Focus on small things first, and the big things will come with time, as they always do. 

Icey

Thanks Grim, happy you got the chance to play it. Yeah, I don't really know what I was thinking, it was sorta like a last minute thing. I thought the game was good to a point where I could try the non skip able speech thing. It looks retarded cause of how dull it is, there's nothing really happening besides text just moving on. Not only that I never took the time to test that out until I put the game on the PSP. I hated it cause not only did the game lag a lot but I couldn't even get through the first part cause everything was going felt so slow.

But I promise everyone, v2.0 will make up for the fails in v1.0.

Monsieur OUXX

Icey games : Less 20-lines-long conceptual essays, more games finishing. You have the fixed translation file meant for version 1.1. Please re-release this broken game asap. Chop chop.

Icey

The has been updated, I wasn't able to add to make for everything in this build so the next one will be the last one. This one fixes a the text so that it is understandable now. I also fixed the speed of moment and made text skip-able.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk